vMike

Default Glass tile fiasco

I had someone install translucent glass tile on the floor and walls of a
retail space. The installation was not good. Aside from crooked tiles, which
I can live with, the surface of the floor and walls in very uneven. I looks
terrible, especially when the light hits it. I am looking for some options
to fix the unevenness and maybe save the job. (Fortunately I have not paid
for the work yet) I did a bit of research and these seem to be potential
options to attempt to fix it. (I have about 250' sq of area split evently
between walls and floor. )

1) sandblast and polish somehow
2) sand with some kind of diamond sandpaper to remove the high spots.
3) using some other kind of glass workers tool to smooth

If it can't be fixed, it will have to be removed. Anyone out there with
glass or glass tile experience that might have some ideas on what to do will
be greatly appreciated.

Mike

dadiOH

"vMike" wrote in message
[...]

If you are talking about what I think you are - the little, square glass
tiles - the irregularity is normal. In all I have seen, at least.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

vMike

"dadiOH" wrote in message

"vMike" wrote in message
[...]

Yes they are 1" squares. Some variation yes, but this is an install problem.
It either needs to be ground down somehow or removed.
Mike

evodawg

vMike wrote:

[...]

I've installed the 4" glass tiles very expensive!!!! I'm not sure but
taking them out is your only option. Sanding them will be a mess and will
probably dull them beyond repair. I've only installed these as back splash
on kitchen walls. It's kind of a new look. but boy does it look good.

Rich

D Steck

Sure, call the lawyer first. Why not try to work it out first and then if
all else fails, call the lawyer.

Saw a case today in the paper where a guy fell asleep on the railroad
tracks, got ran over by a train and lost his legs. Now he's hooked up with
some crook lawyer trying to sue the railroad and three employees for
negligence. It's always someone else's fault in this country.

"vMike" wrote in message
[...]

Dhakala

D Steck wrote:
Sure, call the lawyer first. Why not try to work it out first and then if
all else fails, call the lawyer.

Saw a case today in the paper where a guy fell asleep on the railroad
tracks, got ran over by a train and lost his legs. Now he's hooked up with
some crook lawyer trying to sue the railroad and three employees for
negligence. It's always someone else's fault in this country.

In what paper did that article appear? I'd like to nominate it for The
True Stella Awards - http://stellaawards.com

D Steck

Here's the link.... (St. Louis Post Dispatch)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

Watch the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page.
There's also a story of a woman suing a church because she got hit the head
by a baseball near the dunking booth. That one gripes my butt too.....

"Dhakala" wrote in message
oups.com...

D Steck wrote:
Sure, call the lawyer first. Why not try to work it out first and then
if
all else fails, call the lawyer.

Saw a case today in the paper where a guy fell asleep on the railroad
tracks, got ran over by a train and lost his legs. Now he's hooked up
with
some crook lawyer trying to sue the railroad and three employees for
negligence. It's always someone else's fault in this country.

In what paper did that article appear? I'd like to nominate it for The
True Stella Awards - http://stellaawards.com

Dhakala

D Steck wrote:
Here's the link.... (St. Louis Post Dispatch)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

Watch the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks. Gee, they didn't waste any words on that one, did they? :-)

There's also a story of a woman suing a church because she got hit the head
by a baseball near the dunking booth. That one gripes my butt too.....

Maybe the church put the seats too close to the dunking booth, but who
put her butt in the seats?

Larry Jaques

On 30 Jul 2005 13:27:09 -0700, the opaque "Dhakala"
clearly wrote:

D Steck wrote:
Here's the link.... (St. Louis Post Dispatch)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

Watch the wrap on the link. The story is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks. Gee, they didn't waste any words on that one, did they? :-)

How in hell do these make it into court? Damned negligent judges
and frivolous attorneys/clients.

There's also a story of a woman suing a church because she got hit the head
by a baseball near the dunking booth. That one gripes my butt too.....

Maybe the church put the seats too close to the dunking booth, but who
put her butt in the seats?

How about the guy who got 15 years for packin' someone's fudge?
Murder raps are 7 years but a butt rape is over -double- that?
WTF, over?

There is no justice in US courts.

--
Our ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouch Samples now available!
Never misplace your portable power tool accessories again!

Prometheus

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:25:29 -0400, "vMike"
wrote:

[...]

That's the installer's problem- give him (or her) a call, and tell
them you want it redone- the right way. If that means one of the
options you've got listed above, then let them do it. Give them a
chance to make good on the job before you run off to a lawyer or the
like, but if all else fails, you've got that as an option as well. In
any case, do not try and fix it yourself- if you do, it's no longer
their problem.

vMike

wrote:

[...]

Met with them Friday. They want to try to do a patch job. I said no. I read
the installation instructions myself. They certainly didn't follow the
manufacturer's instructions. Wrong troweling method, no beater board, left
Kraft paper on for couple of days instead of 15 minutes. You think you hire
a professional and they will do a professional job or at least research the
installation instructions if they don't know the proper method. The big
tile boss comes out Monday and will take a look for himself. I think the
only good answer I have heard is to take it out. Biggest problem is delaying
the openning of the store and potential lost revenue. Thanks for the advice

Mike

Prometheus

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:44:55 -0400, "vMike"
wrote:

[...]

That's a big problem with a lot of guys- you've got to remember that
the term "professional" just means they get paid for it, not that
they're good at it. They're more likey to do it correctly because
they have to pay the morgage with the proceeds and continue to attract
new customers, but they *can* be just as inexperienced or lazy as the
next guy. Hopefully, the GC who sent him out will jump on him with
both feet, and then do it himself to save their reputation. Sometimes
the hired lackeys will give you an entirely different line than the
boss because it's just a paycheck to them.

As far as lost revenue goes- I'm no tax lawyer, so I can't give you
any specifics, but AFAIK, you can write off loss of revenue due to
construction delays on your taxes. Might be worth a call to someone
who knows the ins and outs of that- granted, it won't help you if you
need the sales right now, but it'll help at year's end, anyhow.

Dhakala

Larry Jaques wrote:
There is no justice in US courts.

"Justice is incidental to Law and Order." - J. Edgar Hoover.

Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM