Prometheus

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:44:55 -0400, "vMike"
wrote:

That's the installer's problem- give him (or her) a call, and tell
them you want it redone- the right way. If that means one of the
options you've got listed above, then let them do it. Give them a
chance to make good on the job before you run off to a lawyer or the
like, but if all else fails, you've got that as an option as well. In
any case, do not try and fix it yourself- if you do, it's no longer
their problem.

Met with them Friday. They want to try to do a patch job. I said no. I read
the installation instructions myself. They certainly didn't follow the
manufacturer's instructions. Wrong troweling method, no beater board, left
Kraft paper on for couple of days instead of 15 minutes. You think you hire
a professional and they will do a professional job or at least research the
installation instructions if they don't know the proper method. The big
tile boss comes out Monday and will take a look for himself. I think the
only good answer I have heard is to take it out. Biggest problem is delaying
the openning of the store and potential lost revenue. Thanks for the advice

That's a big problem with a lot of guys- you've got to remember that
the term "professional" just means they get paid for it, not that
they're good at it. They're more likey to do it correctly because
they have to pay the morgage with the proceeds and continue to attract
new customers, but they *can* be just as inexperienced or lazy as the
next guy. Hopefully, the GC who sent him out will jump on him with
both feet, and then do it himself to save their reputation. Sometimes
the hired lackeys will give you an entirely different line than the
boss because it's just a paycheck to them.

As far as lost revenue goes- I'm no tax lawyer, so I can't give you
any specifics, but AFAIK, you can write off loss of revenue due to
construction delays on your taxes. Might be worth a call to someone
who knows the ins and outs of that- granted, it won't help you if you
need the sales right now, but it'll help at year's end, anyhow.