Upscale

Default Speaking of Bandsaws

Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and
cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that already
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to me.

Lee Michaels

"Upscale" wrote in message
Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and
cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that
already
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to
me.

Do you have a link to this tape?

Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Upscale" wrote in message
Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and
cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that
already
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to
me.

Do you have a link to this tape?

I found it.

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/061010.asp

John

Amazon should have it, it is a Tauton Press book

I also think it is NOW available on DVD as well

John

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:29:14 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and
cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that
already
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to
me.

Do you have a link to this tape?

Upscale

"WD" wrote in message

Check with your local library first, before buying it.
Amazon should have it, it is a Tauton Press book

I also think it is NOW available on DVD as well

I've got the DVD.

Gus

Upscale wrote:
Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and
cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that already
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to me.

By the way, Netflix also has this video.

mac davis

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:29:19 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"WD" wrote in message

Check with your local library first, before buying it.
Amazon should have it, it is a Tauton Press book

I also think it is NOW available on DVD as well

I've got the DVD.

good thing ya do..
if you had the book and liked the video, I was going to request a sample of
whatever you're smoking.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
charlie b

Upscale wrote:

Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and
cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that already
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic to me.

You should see what Sam Maloof can do with a bandsaw.
He doesn't recomend free handing on the bandsaw but
did it because he didn't know any better when he started
and now it's second nature to him. Of course he's got
a problem with the first digit of one of his fingers which
got smashed between the wood he was freehand cutting
and the cast iron bandsaw table. But I guess if you
live as long as he has and done as much as he's done
on the bandsaw AND still has all of his digits - he's
got it down pretty good.

charlie b
Upscale

"mac davis" wrote in message

I've got the DVD.

good thing ya do..
if you had the book and liked the video, I was going to request a sample

of
whatever you're smoking.. *g*

So I can assume from what you're saying that the book is a lot better. Only
difference is that I might never have gotten around to picking up the book
whereas my geeky/technology interest was immediately piqued when I found the
video.

Layne

You're kidding right....?

Layne

On 28 Jul 2005 05:50:57 -0700, "Gus" wrote:

Upscale wrote:
Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and

snip

By the way, Netflix also has this video.

Steve Decker

Upscale wrote:

Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark
Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones and

snip

By the way, Netflix also has this video.

Kidding about Netflix having it?

Nope.

Check it out yourself.

WillR

Upscale wrote:
Just viewed a video I picked up called "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark=

Duginski. I'm impressed, especially with his method of cutting cones an=

cutting dovetails. This stuff may be old methods to you people that alr=

eady
own a bandsaw, but for me thinking of buying one, it seems like magic t=

o me.
=20
=20

It can be fun.

I do big dovetails on the bandsaw, little ones (jewel boxes) on the=20
scroll saw. It does work and you can get quality dovetails. :-)

Somedays the bandsaw gets more work than the table saw -- and for rough=20
work I will use the band saw first because of the speed and safety...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Upscale

"WillR" wrote in message
I do big dovetails on the bandsaw, little ones (jewel boxes) on the
scroll saw. It does work and you can get quality dovetails. :-)

Somedays the bandsaw gets more work than the table saw -- and for rough
work I will use the band saw first because of the speed and safety...

One thing that's intrigued me is how quiet a bandsaw is and what you can
actually do with one and the proper jigs. I live in an apartment so the only
times I do any heavy woodworking is when I go over to a friend's house to
use my tablesaw that I sold him. Since I use a wheelchair, so far anyway,
I've been unable to find a cheap enough, close enough accessible location
for me to rent for use as a small workshop.

I'd never use a tablesaw in an apartment, but a bandsaw in a dedicated
apartment room is entirely workable and just means that I'd need a big
enough apartment, something entirely within my reach. Now I'm really
envisioning all sorts of possibilities.

WillR

Upscale wrote:
"WillR" wrote in message
[...]

Well -- add a quiet scroll saw -- lots of fun. We have the inexpensive=20
Delta -- reliable -- but a tad noisy and it vibrates to much to be=20
called anything but noisy. The deWalt might be better $600+ CDN. Then=20
you can do dovetailed or box joint jewel boxes, clocks etc. All sorts of =

small projects. Was it FWW that just did a article on scroll saws?

I just use a small chisel to clean up minor imperfections after scroll=20
sawing. The band saw is a little rougher...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

mac davis

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:08:54 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message

I've got the DVD.

good thing ya do..
if you had the book and liked the video, I was going to request a sample

of
whatever you're smoking.. *g*

So I can assume from what you're saying that the book is a lot better. Only
difference is that I might never have gotten around to picking up the book
whereas my geeky/technology interest was immediately piqued when I found the
video.

no, what I meant was that if you were reading the book and saw the video, (in
your head, not by having the book AND the video), I would consider it a drug
gloat and ask you to share.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Upscale

"mac davis" wrote in message

no, what I meant was that if you were reading the book and saw the video,

(in
your head, not by having the book AND the video), I would consider it a

drug
gloat and ask you to share.. *g*

Well, I do know from watching the video, that there's a number of things in
Mark Duginski's book that aren't in the video. Things like jigs and stuff
like that. So I may try to get the book when I have the time. I did obtain
Lonnie Bird's book on using the bandsaw. Lot of information in there too, I
just haven't had time to go through the whole thing yet.

mac davis

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:15:39 -0400, "Upscale" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message

no, what I meant was that if you were reading the book and saw the video,

(in
your head, not by having the book AND the video), I would consider it a

drug
gloat and ask you to share.. *g*

Well, I do know from watching the video, that there's a number of things in
Mark Duginski's book that aren't in the video. Things like jigs and stuff
like that. So I may try to get the book when I have the time. I did obtain
Lonnie Bird's book on using the bandsaw. Lot of information in there too, I
just haven't had time to go through the whole thing yet.

they're really 2 different type of info, and it's always best to have both if
possible...
A picture might be worth 1,000 words, but sometimes the words convey it
better... and most of us were taught in school that we learn from books, so it's
effective..
The advantage of also having video is that you can see what you read about in
action.. and quickly go to whatever part that you want to.. and freeze a part
that you wanted to see.

Personally, I like having both because I really don't read much in the shop..
that's what recliners are for.. *g* Also, I like to learn sort of "hands
on"...
I bought Bill Grumbine's bowl turning DVD after pretty much reading the same
info free at his web site... but having the DVD in the little tv in the shop and
being able to watch part, pause it and TRY what he did, then continue watching,
was great..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

14" Bandsaws - Anyone Use/Rate These? [email protected] Woodworking 13 December 24th 10 07:19 PM
18" bandsaws Scott Lurndal Woodworking 2 March 10th 05 06:43 PM
Comparing 18" Bandsaws Brett A. Thomas Woodworking 18 December 1st 04 04:12 PM
Plane Speaking Ben Woodworking 37 September 29th 04 06:39 AM
Laguna Bandsaws brandt Woodworking 18 September 19th 04 12:34 PM