Default 14" Bandsaws - Anyone Use/Rate These?

As we all know, there are a gazillion bandsaws out there, and these
questions about bandsaws keep coming up, so I wondered if we could do
a thread here where people would actually tell us the pros/cons of
various makes/models they are using?

For instance, I'm looking at a bunch of new/used 14" bandsaws and I'm
wondering whether something is a good buy or if it's nothing but
headaches down the road. Some of the BSmodels it seems many of us are
_interested_ in a

Delta 14" - Delta has many versions, but the basic casting must be the
same. Right now they have that closed base 2-speed unit on sale for
$539.00 tomorrow only. Is it a solid dependable machine, and what are
its pros/cons?

Likewise, I was looking at a Rikon 14" in Woodcraft today. Only $499,
and they are having a 1-day 10% off sale tomorrow. Is this a decent
saw even though there's no riser option?

General International has a 14" at Woodcraft that looks like a Delta
clone, and for $499 it comes with the dust port, closed base, what
appears to be a Uni-clone fence (oversize chrome tubes, aluminum
fence, etc.) and miter. Buy it tomorrow and get the 10% discount.

Jet 14" is another one, and then there's the Sears Professional 14"
for $475 delivered. Powermatic is yet another.

Personally, I'm not really hung up on re-sawing 12" stock, so that's
not a factor for me. But it might be when you go to sell something,
so the capability has to be considered.

So if you actually use one of these models, how about telling us the
good, the bad, and even the ugly?
R. Barker

Jet 14" is another one, and then there's the Sears Professional 14"

I am a new owner of one of the Jet saws JWBS-14CS Gold Series. It replaced
an old 10" Craftsman 3 wheel direct drive BS that was a nightmare and never
got used. So far I am very pleased with the Jet and find it smooth, quiet,
and accurate. It seems to have plenty of power but to be honest I haven't
tested it with anything challenging like re-sawing 6" maple.

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Bob B.

Bob...

Thanks for the feedback and opinion. I've been told to stay away from
any 3-wheelers. I may break down and buy new, but I'm still looking
for a used BS to pop up locally. I keep wondering about the Rikon 14"
which seems to be a good value as does the General International 14"
unit that is a Delta-type clone.

Mike

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:40:02 -0500, "R. Barker"
wrote:

Jet 14" is another one, and then there's the Sears Professional 14"

I am a new owner of one of the Jet saws JWBS-14CS Gold Series. It replaced
an old 10" Craftsman 3 wheel direct drive BS that was a nightmare and never
got used. So far I am very pleased with the Jet and find it smooth, quiet,
and accurate. It seems to have plenty of power but to be honest I haven't
tested it with anything challenging like re-sawing 6" maple.

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Bob B.

George

"R. Barker" wrote in message

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no

noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Just like the tens of thousands of other Deltas out there.

George...

But there are problems with Deltas too. Just look at that LONG thread
up above with a new X5 14" bandsaw vibrating too much. Some guys are
complaining that Delta is using more Chinese parts today than some of
the "lesser" brands unless you buy the absolute top of the line.

That being said, the majority of us still feel very comfortable with a
Delta product.

Mike

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:43:33 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"R. Barker" wrote in message

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no

noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Just like the tens of thousands of other Deltas out there.

Bob G.

"R. Barker" wrote in message

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no

noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Just like the tens of thousands of other Deltas out there.

============
I am also looking to replace my origanl CRAPSMAN 12 inch BS as it is
now almost 40 years old....

BUT it also still passes the nickle test ..
damn thing would pass the dime test also IF I had a dime in my
pocket....

Does that make my Crapsman a good BS...? I do not think so...!

Bob Griffiths .
George

Sorry to have shot over your head.

What I tried to say was that tens of thousands of other Deltas (including
one at my house) were operating flawlessly. A lemon is a lemon, and some
folks, like a poster about a year ago, who have not a clue, blame the
equipment manufacturer as if it were endemic rather than epidemic.

"R. Barker" wrote in message

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no

noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now

(shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle

will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Just like the tens of thousands of other Deltas out there.

R. Barker

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no
noticable
vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop
reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will
stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Just like the tens of thousands of other Deltas out there.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that Delta was in some way inferior. Should
have been more careful with my wording I guess.

Bob B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
says...

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...se-329982-.htm
rowalla wrote:
I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and
can't get parts. I'm looking for the upper blade guides. Omaha Industrial
tool is nomore that I can find. Anyone suggest something for the guides
that I can use. I ordered the kit from carter, but it wouldn't fit.
Thanks

What kind of guides does it use? If it's roller guides try rollerblade
bearings. If it's solid guides order a lignum vitae turning blank from
Rockler for two and a half bucks and cut your own to fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

rowalla wrote:
I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and
can't get parts. I'm looking for the upper blade guides. Omaha Industrial
tool is nomore that I can find. Anyone suggest something for the guides
that I can use. I ordered the kit from carter, but it wouldn't fit.
Thanks

What kind of guides does it use? If it's roller guides try rollerblade
bearings. If it's solid guides order a lignum vitae turning blank from
Rockler for two and a half bucks and cut your own to fit.

Save your keystrokes, the question was asked in February 2005.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

rowalla wrote:
I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and
can't get parts. I'm looking for the upper blade guides. Omaha Industrial
tool is nomore that I can find. Anyone suggest something for the guides
that I can use. I ordered the kit from carter, but it wouldn't fit.
Thanks

What kind of guides does it use? If it's roller guides try rollerblade
bearings. If it's solid guides order a lignum vitae turning blank from
Rockler for two and a half bucks and cut your own to fit.

Save your keystrokes, the question was asked in February 2005.

The two major complaints I have about Hamster are that (1) sometimes it
reloads a bunch of ancient posts for no apparent reason and (2) it
insists on kicking off its housekeeping at midnight and there's no way
to change it to another time.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

?
m...

rowalla wrote:
I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and
can't get parts. I'm looking for the upper blade guides. Omaha
Industrial
tool is nomore that I can find. Anyone suggest something for the guides
that I can use. I ordered the kit from carter, but it wouldn't fit.
Thanks

What kind of guides does it use? If it's roller guides try rollerblade
bearings. If it's solid guides order a lignum vitae turning blank from
Rockler for two and a half bucks and cut your own to fit.

Save your keystrokes, the question was asked in February 2005.

homeowners hub steals information from this and other newsgroups and posts
them to their site. They are making money off of us. Seems like the
regurgitate stuff every once in a while.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:
?
m...

rowalla wrote:
[...]

I know. It was just a heads-up for J. Clarke