Richard

Default Workmate Opinions

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard

Chuck Hoffman

I have a Workmate 425. It will do in a pinch but is not big enough for many
projects. And the plastic bench dogs are nearly useless. They don't line
up well and won't hold much pressure on a work piece. Similarly, the
clamping top sections won't hold enough pressure for anything but very light
work. A bench vise it ain't.

I actually built a collapsible table for multiple uses, 1) as an outfeed for
the table saw, and 2) as an assembly table for larger projects. The legs
are two A-frame assemblies with the legs splayed out at 10 degrees from
vertical. The tops of the assemblies are made to fit the width of the
table. The top fits onto the legs with cleats arranged in the form of
pockets that drop over the aprons of the leg assemblies. Stringers attached
to the leg assemblies with hanger bolts and wing nuts (diagonally from near
the top of one leg to near the bottom of the other on the same side) give
added rigidity and are quickly disassembled.

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard

Duane Bozarth

Richard wrote:

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

I'm w/ Chuck...they have their uses, but are not substitutes for a
bench. I'd go his route or perhaps a wall-hung fold-down that is more
sturdy if you can spare the space.
Andy

I have the 225, and I'm basically happy with it, for what it is. It is
perfect for holding my home-made router table, and fine for holding
small pieces to drill or finish. Portability/storage is great.
However, it is just too small and unstable to use for any serious hand
planing or chiseling or sanding, for any large stock, or anything else
where you'll put any lateral pressure on it (It wants to tip unless I
stand on the little step, which gets pretty awkward sometimes).
Also, it is too low for any extended use - my lower back gets sore from
bending over (I'm about 6'1"). Four concrete blocks under the legs
would solve this problem, but then if you do hit/wiggle it enough, it
would fall off and be even worse. I've also thought of making a taller
table extension, but then I couldn't use the clamps or dog holes, and
my router table top is taller.
As for differences between the models, I was considering the 425, but
the 225 was in stock at my local Chase Pitkin, and I'd read several
reviews on Amazon about the boxes getting pretty smashed up during
shipping, so I bought local. I can't imagine the 425 would solve any
of the problems mentioned above - afaik, the only differences are in
the benchtop (extra block to extend the table and a clutch for the
clamping screws).
Good luck,
Andy

Richard

Now you guys have me thinking in a different direction. The fold down
idea would probably work pretty well since my main goal was to be able
to get the bench out of the way when I needed the space. It seems like
a simple project, but are there any plan available that I could look at
for ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

Lew Hodgett

"Richard" wrote:

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Don't know the model, have had one for several years.

Makes a quick portable table and the clamping mechanism serves as an
extra pair of hands from time to time.

A vice and/or a work benck it isn't.

Lew
Duane Bozarth

Richard wrote:

Now you guys have me thinking in a different direction. The fold down
idea would probably work pretty well since my main goal was to be able
to get the bench out of the way when I needed the space. It seems like
a simple project, but are there any plan available that I could look at
for ideas?

I'm sure there are but I don't have any links...I'd just take the size
of area I had available and frame up something pretty solid and hang it
on some heavy butt hinges. Seems like maybe there was something in the
last FWW Shops special issue--I'll try to remember to look this evening
and see if I find anything.
Chuck Hoffman

Like Duane said, mount it on butt hinges fastened to the wall studs.
Something with a 2X4 frame, a 3/4 or 1" MDF top and fold-up legs would work
well (albeit heavy).

I chose a knock-down table because it does not limit me to a single space
and I can also use it for other things, e.g., outfeed for the table saw.

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now you guys have me thinking in a different direction. The fold down
idea would probably work pretty well since my main goal was to be able
to get the bench out of the way when I needed the space. It seems like
a simple project, but are there any plan available that I could look at
for ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

Andy Dingley

On 18 Jul 2005 12:21:07 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

are there any plan available that I could look at for ideas?

Try yesterday's thread
" Plans for bench/question about ergonomics"
David Lang

Richard wrote in message

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate.

My workshop is 16' x 8' and I have space problems too!

I have a 15' x 2' worksurface along one wall with my RAS about 4' from one
end. Under the 4' section is my router table which fits to a folding stand
(aluminium sort of step stool for decorating).

Opposite wall has 1' deep shelving all along, floor to ceiling except for
the last 4' and that's where my table saw (on castors) lives when not in
use. Can't use router table & table saw at the same time - bit awkward
sometimes.

All my power tools live in their cases on the shelving or in plastic crates
along with all the wrench's & stuff.

I have a workmate that's around 25 years old and I clamp various 'bench
tops' to that (simply screw a 2 x 4 underneath). One 'bench top' is a 4' x
2' kitchen work top used for assembly & glue up. Others are for routing,
cutting large panels etc.

Works pretty well - but you have to be very tidy!

Dave

Odinn

On 7/18/2005 5:54 PM David Lang mumbled something about the following:
Richard wrote in message

[...]

Damn, and I'm complaining about a 16x18 work area. Guess I need to do a
better job of organizing.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
DIYGUY

Richard wrote:
I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard

Cannot add much more to this discussion - all good points to consider.
I can tell you that I have TWO Workmates, each is at least 15 years or
more old. I use them extensively but not as workbenches. I have
"customized" them both with touches unique to how I like to use them.
No regrets to having purchased them. In contrast to another post I do
find the plastic bench dogs occasionally useful.

The most redeeming feature of these tools is that I can neatly tuck them
out of the way when I am not using them. If you are expecting them to
suffice as a workbench look elsewhere. If you want a versatile tool
that can function as an occasional utility work surface with some
additional clamping virtues then you are spot on.
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

FWIW Richard, I have an old Workmate and couldn't tell you the model number.
Like you, I am severely limited on space.
I would love to build a real, 400 lb. bench but wouldn't have anywhere to
put it. In the meantime, I use the workmate, a couple of sawhorses with a
sheet of plywood, and lots of roller stands. To date I've built a bed,
two nightstands, a hutch, a dresser, etc.... I'm not saying it's perfect,
far from it, but I find I'm able to do what I want with what I've got. If
nothing else, it'll help as a bench, when you decide to build a real bench
(never really understood how to build a bench without a bench haha).
Cheers,
cc

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard

Larry Jaques

On 18 Jul 2005 12:21:07 -0700, the opaque "Richard"
clearly wrote:

Now you guys have me thinking in a different direction. The fold down
idea would probably work pretty well since my main goal was to be able
to get the bench out of the way when I needed the space. It seems like
a simple project, but are there any plan available that I could look at
for ideas?

Schucks Auto Parts/Harbor Freight/Northern Tools/Homier/etc. all
have them on sale for as little as $12.99 quite often.

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites
Buster

I was in the market for one a few months back with a similar problem. The
225 seemed way too small and flimsy, and all the 435 I could find had a
warped table. I was very unhappy with either. The one day my wife picked
an older one up at a garage sale for $5. The thing is built like a tank.
If you can find one from anyplace this is the way to go.

For what it's worth: In my shop I'm currently using the workmate and an
old closet door between two sawhorses. This setup seems to be working fine.
I've been making cabinets to free up storage space so that I can start on a
'real' bench.

Either way the workmate s a good addition to the shop.

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard

George

"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...

Richard wrote in message

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate.

I have a workmate that's around 25 years old and I clamp various 'bench
tops' to that (simply screw a 2 x 4 underneath). One 'bench top' is a 4'
x 2' kitchen work top used for assembly & glue up. Others are for
routing, cutting large panels etc.

Works pretty well - but you have to be very tidy!

I would definitely buy the dual height. Comes in handy for those times you
might actually use the thing as a sawhorse. First I bought didn't have it,
because I was being cheap. He spent 15 years as general purpose bench and
horse before retiring to a semipermanent status as chainsaw sharpening
station in the garage.

My router "table," benchtop mortiser, Leigh jig box/bench all clamp into the
workmate. I even hand plane wood using the plastic dogs. Of course, I keep
one foot on the step, and have a sharp iron.

mac davis

On 18 Jul 2005 10:47:34 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate. What are your thoughts
on the two Black and Decker versions: 225 and the 425? Or is there
another brand you would recommend?

Thanks,
Richard

I have 2 of the old original Workmates and use them a lot... they can do a lot
of things, but workbench is not in their job description...

If you have to, use a solid core door that's hinged to a wall and folds out of
the way when not in use.. NOTE: this only works well if you're not a junk
collector like me, and fill up every flat space with stuff..
If you can be anal enough to clear everything off of it when done and fold it
up, they work well..

BTW, After many years of bruised ankles, I finally sacrificed some wall space to
hang the workmates up when not in use.. the worst part is that after you stumble
on them, they fall into anything that's damageable or expensive available.. *g*
Mac
03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer
replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer
99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Richard

Not be a junk collector?! Why do you think I had to move my shop into
another location? All my table space has been covered in the garage

Thanks everyone for the comments They are very helpful...

Richard

Larry Jaques

On 19 Jul 2005 10:43:22 -0700, the opaque "Richard"
clearly wrote:

Not be a junk collector?! Why do you think I had to move my shop into
another location? All my table space has been covered in the garage

Thanks everyone for the comments They are very helpful...

A heads up: Watch for O'deen to offer a special price on a certain
two-piece Workmutt one of these days. (It could happen.)

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:05:03 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Schucks Auto Parts/Harbor Freight/Northern Tools/Homier/etc. all
have them on sale for as little as $12.99 quite often.

They're not Workmates. They're not even _close_ to being Workmates.

Odeen

Ya know, Lar, when I get my teevee show, you're going to be my set-up
man. It's a funny thing about that thing. The steel parts were long
ago sent to the scrapyard. But just a little while ago, SWIATABOC hit
an estate sale. While she was there I got an urgent phone call from
her, "Hon, there are tools... you'd better come have a look."

40 minutes and some lame excuse later... mumbling about having to fix a
leak in the garage or something, I was peering into a darkened garage
full of some decent stuff. The thing that caught my eye and followed
me home was this:

http://www.klownhammer.org/workmutt

In the parlance of rec.normdom, we call this a drive-by. ;o)

O'Deen

Unquestionably Confused

Odeen wrote:
Ya know, Lar, when I get my teevee show, you're going to be my set-up
man. It's a funny thing about that thing. The steel parts were long
ago sent to the scrapyard. But just a little while ago, SWIATABOC hit
an estate sale. While she was there I got an urgent phone call from
her, "Hon, there are tools... you'd better come have a look."

40 minutes and some lame excuse later... mumbling about having to fix a
leak in the garage or something, I was peering into a darkened garage
full of some decent stuff. The thing that caught my eye and followed
me home was this:

http://www.klownhammer.org/workmutt

Ah, the GOOD one. I picked up the same one - also bird dogged for me by
SWMBO - at a local store (sort of a mini- Kmart which was eventually
killed off by same).

Solid device and like that old Timex watch: Takes a licking and keeps
on clicking.

Can't recall if they were clearing them out or had a special sale.
Don't think I paid much over $30 for mine.

Were you able to beat down the $25 price tag on that "drive by" find?

Finish Nailer opinions?? Ol' Texan Woodworking 5 January 17th 05 10:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Buying a new press brake, opinions? KMC Metalworking 2 August 3rd 04 07:02 PM
opinions on machine suppliers michael Metalworking 0 July 31st 04 07:16 PM
Opinions on computer home design software Jeff Home Repair 0 January 16th 04 03:27 AM