George

"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...

Richard wrote in message

I just moved my workshop into a separate building from my house, but
space is very limited. (About 8' X 14') I have decided to forego a
build-in workbench and use a foldable workmate.

I have a workmate that's around 25 years old and I clamp various 'bench
tops' to that (simply screw a 2 x 4 underneath). One 'bench top' is a 4'
x 2' kitchen work top used for assembly & glue up. Others are for
routing, cutting large panels etc.

Works pretty well - but you have to be very tidy!

I would definitely buy the dual height. Comes in handy for those times you
might actually use the thing as a sawhorse. First I bought didn't have it,
because I was being cheap. He spent 15 years as general purpose bench and
horse before retiring to a semipermanent status as chainsaw sharpening
station in the garage.

My router "table," benchtop mortiser, Leigh jig box/bench all clamp into the
workmate. I even hand plane wood using the plastic dogs. Of course, I keep
one foot on the step, and have a sharp iron.