Modat22

Default Do you show your wife project plans in the hopes that she'll let you buy that NEEDED piece of equipment?

I know it might be evil, but whenever I really need something I just
show the wife a few plans for something (Like some mission furniture)
and bam!! she says ok lets do it.....
B a r r y

Modat22 wrote:
I know it might be evil, but whenever I really need something I just
show the wife a few plans for something (Like some mission furniture)
and bam!! she says ok lets do it.....

When my wife realized she could be on Block Island, Nantucket, or outer
Cape Cod beaches in an hour, from Connecticut, she let me buy an
airplane. G

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"Modat22" wrote in message
I know it might be evil, but whenever I really need something I just
show the wife a few plans for something (Like some mission furniture)
and bam!! she says ok lets do it.....

No, if I need or want something and have the money I buy it.

We both have some discretionary money to use as we please. No need to rent
a scrotum for permission.

SonomaProducts.com

I just tell her the alimony check will be a little short this month
because I had some "unexpected expenses" ;^)

B a r r y

We both have some discretionary money to use as we please.

So many seem to miss the value of this.

My wife and I have had our own "spending money" for years. As our
fortunes have waxed and waned, so has the figure available for each to
blow, but it's always been ours to do as we please.

Our helpful hints:

#1 - The amounts have nothing to do with what each of us brings home,
it's 50/50 of the total household budget available for spending. It's
OUR money, not my paycheck and her paycheck. Sink and swim together.

#2 - Include clothing in the spending category, and increase the number
by whatever would have been budgeted for clothing. Clothing is often an
argument for married folks, and this eliminates the want/need
justification issue.

My tools are split. What's honestly necessary to repair / maintain /
upgrade the household is a household expense.

For example: I bought an $1800 cabinet saw, when in reality, I could
have gotten by with a $600 contractor's saw. $600 - household, $1200
- my spending money. Flooring nailer - full price as a household
expense, off to eBay it goes when I'm done flooring the house.

In my experience, if you have to lie, you usually can't afford it, which
means you probably shouldn't be buying it. That goes for everyone who
has access to the household funds!

I've taken temporary part-time jobs to buy items we couldn't afford, but
I really wanted.

Honesty and communication = peace & enjoyment of your "stuff" G

Doug Payne

#2 - Include clothing in the spending category, and increase the number
by whatever would have been budgeted for clothing. Clothing is often an
argument for married folks, and this eliminates the want/need
justification issue.

The only argument we ever have about clothing is whether or not I'm
wearing enough (i.e. no boxer shorts in the living room when her friends
are over) It's still a want/need issue :-)
Morris Dovey

B a r r y (in ) said:

| In my experience, if you have to lie, you usually can't afford it,
| which means you probably shouldn't be buying it

| Honesty and communication = peace & enjoyment of your "stuff" G

Yuppers. If you have to lie, the cost is already too high.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Lee Michaels

"Doug Payne" wrote

#2 - Include clothing in the spending category, and increase the number
by whatever would have been budgeted for clothing. Clothing is often an
argument for married folks, and this eliminates the want/need
justification issue.

The only argument we ever have about clothing is whether or not I'm
wearing enough (i.e. no boxer shorts in the living room when her friends
are over) It's still a want/need issue :-)

That would mean that a thong is out of the question.

Unquestionably Confused

on 7/14/2005 4:04 PM Lee Michaels said the following:
"Doug Payne" wrote

#2 - Include clothing in the spending category, and increase the number
by whatever would have been budgeted for clothing. Clothing is often an
argument for married folks, and this eliminates the want/need
justification issue.

The only argument we ever have about clothing is whether or not I'm
wearing enough (i.e. no boxer shorts in the living room when her friends
are over) It's still a want/need issue :-)

That would mean that a thong is out of the question.

Not necessarily. We have no idea what her friends like. Perhaps a
banana hammock would be inappropriate, perhaps not.g
alexy

#2 - Include clothing in the spending category, and increase the number
by whatever would have been budgeted for clothing. Clothing is often an
argument for married folks, and this eliminates the want/need
justification issue.

The only argument we ever have about clothing is whether or not I'm
wearing enough (i.e. no boxer shorts in the living room when her friends
are over) It's still a want/need issue :-)

I think you are pushing it to wear no boxer shorts in the living room
when her friends are over; I can believe that would lead to an
argument! ;-)

No

That's how I pick my projects, based upon what new tool I will need. I try
not to pick projects that will require multiple major purchases at once.

I am in need of
1) A 'real' jointer 8"+ long bed.
2) planer
3) bandsaw
4) a 'real' drill press

I have done a lot with a baby jointer, DP, no planer, no band saw.

I almost bought a huge stack of rough, 12/4 maple yesterday some pieces up
to 22' across and all about 10' long. Pile (20 pieces) went for about $100
at auction!

Available were 2 similar piles of maple, a pile of beech, a smaller pile of
KD oak and a pile of walnut. The walnut went for $60 IIRC.

Would have required me to buy bandsaw, real jointer and a planer. Hence I
bid accordingly.

Was that anyone here, just waiting to post their gloat? Did anyone here see
those piles?

Auction was http://www.wolgemuth-auction.com/ in Leola, PA. Next auction in
August.

"Modat22" wrote in message
I know it might be evil, but whenever I really need something I just
show the wife a few plans for something (Like some mission furniture)
and bam!! she says ok lets do it.....

bf

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No, if I need or want something and have the money I buy it.

We both have some discretionary money to use as we please. No need to rent
a scrotum for permission.

LOL, I also. I find it humorous that people here brag about needing
permission to scratch themselves from their "SWMBO" or whatever name
they use for "wife".

I guess a lot of woodworkers love to be dominated. LOL

Of course, I use common sense. My wife uses common sense with what she
buys as well. We have no need to track a budget, as we both have self
control with how we spend. And we're not exactly rich either. A one
income family with a bunch of kids.

loutent

In article , Modat22
wrote:

I know it might be evil, but whenever I really need something I just
show the wife a few plans for something (Like some mission furniture)
and bam!! she says ok lets do it.....

Hi Modat,

I think that you and I were both fortunate enought to marry someone
who is much smarter than us and who even more readily
recognized the payoff in such small (tool) investments!

Lou
Lenny

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:04:59 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Modat22" wrote in message
.. .
I know it might be evil, but whenever I really need something I just
show the wife a few plans for something (Like some mission furniture)
and bam!! she says ok lets do it.....

No, if I need or want something and have the money I buy it.

We both have some discretionary money to use as we please. No need to rent
a scrotum for permission.

Where, exactly, can you rent those ? (For future reference)
=0)

Lenny
Edwin Pawlowski

"Lenny" wrote in message

We both have some discretionary money to use as we please. No need to
rent
a scrotum for permission.

Where, exactly, can you rent those ? (For future reference)
=0)

Lenny

You want the leather or satin pouch?

dean

Pay half with a personal check, and put the rest on the credit card.
That way the wife thinks it wasn't too expensive (only sees the CC
bill).

But it don't work though. My honesty always comes forth somehow

George Max

Not only do I NOT show her the plans, I don't ask for "permission" to
buy that needed tool. We talk about the item needed, what she want's
it to do, but the rest is up to me. Sometimes, like the shaker desk I
recently completed, there's NO input at all from her. The desk is
mine. She's already got enough of my output.