Nut Tree

Default Cloverdale Wood Show

Although it is still open, I had my day yesterday. it was a good show even
though they started charging for the parking. Three building and two
seminar tents, the bandsaw mills outside and lots of big tools to dream
about.

There seemed to be more turners there this year. I always enjoy watching
the lathe work. I got to see one man demonstrating a bowl saver and watched
as the block broke free and caroomed off his face. Split lip and an "oh
well that happens some times" spoke right to many of us that have had that
dance with a spinning piece of wood. The big stores filled the centers of
the two big buildings with their wares and the small vendors were along the
outside. It amazes me each year home many big ticket items end up with sold
signs on them during the show. General was out in force, even sponsoring a
Secondary School's display showing a bunch of beginners working on projects.
They wisely kept the General display away from the Delta folks. No
comparison in quality with the big stuff. KMS Tools is now carrying General
machines too which gives another local outlet for big green iron.

There also seemed to be more Non wood type vendors this year too. Stuff
like shoe support inserts, glass cutters and the ever popular cleaning
products.
That part made me laugh the most. I watched many men leaving with boxes of
new tools under their arm and smiles on their faces. Many of these also had
a little something for the wife at home. One of the nonwood vendors was
selling mops to clean lino, or tile floors. He was an animated salesman and
his bunch blocked the aisle most of the time. Now these men, convinced that
their wife needed this new mop to clean better purchased them.
Picture if you will, the proud hubby arrives home with his toys, perhaps
sneaking them into the shop and then proudly presents his wife with a new
mop.. "Here honey, thought of you today at the wood show and bought you
this wonderful new mop. I know that you hate to clean the floor but with
this new one it will seem almost like a game. Why the man at the show just
danced around cleaning and made it look so easy"
I hope the cold temps didn't effect to many of these thoughtful men as they
slept in the shop last night.

All in all a good show. Now it is out to my shop to play with my new toys
as well.
FWIW

Dan

On Sun 02 Nov 2003 03:16:15p, "Nut Tree" wrote
in news:zuepb.261306$9l5.139912@pd7tw2no:

Although it is still open, I had my day yesterday. it was a good show
even though they started charging for the parking. Three building and
two seminar tents, the bandsaw mills outside and lots of big tools to
dream about.

Where's Cloverdale?

There seemed to be more turners there this year. I always enjoy
watching the lathe work. I got to see one man demonstrating a bowl
saver and watched as the block broke free and caroomed off his face.
Split lip and an "oh well that happens some times" spoke right to many
of us that have had that dance with a spinning piece of wood.

JEEZ!
That's a dance I spend a lot of time, money, and effort to avoid.

Dan
BeerBoy

"Dan" wrote in message
On Sun 02 Nov 2003 03:16:15p, "Nut Tree" wrote
in news:zuepb.261306$9l5.139912@pd7tw2no:

Where's Cloverdale?

British Columbia, Canada - just outside Vancouver.

stickdoctorq

I was there on Saturday as well and was drooling over many things as
well.

Got my first look at the DeWalt 735....good lord but that thing is a
tank. They had 8 of them there for sale, $699 CAD, and they had sold 4
by noon on Saturday and I would imagine they sold them all by end of
show.

New "knockoff" mini lathe caught my eye as well. Made by King, kind of
local house brand, 10" swing, something like 14" bed (that doesn't seem
right but..) and can be extended to 47" bed length...$300 CAD vs. Jet
MiniLathe at $450 CAD...I have a small shop and it would be a nice fit
and the possibility of future bed length makes it more future-proof.

The show was only marginally bigger this year vs. last year and there
seemed to be fewer wood vendors i.e. outfits selling wood, not wood
tools. On the other hand, there seemed to be more in the way of
woodworking supplies and machinery...

Everyone was doing clamp sales or specials - buy 3 get 1 free sort of
things....It was pretty hilarious all the guys walking around clutching
their 4 or 8 pack of 6 foot long bar clamps....

Also ran across a new (??) Delta cabinet saw that I had not heard
anything about before.....show special was $800 CAD! 1 3/4 hp motor,
cast iron table, unifence, to be delivered in November.

Anyone know anything about this?

Sigh. Not until next year now. Hopefully next year I won't lose my job
just before the show and I will have some money to spend....

[...]

Dave

So, was Porter Cable conspicuously absent like the Calgary
show??? I was a bit ****ed at that, wanted to check out some
stuff but they were nowhere to be seen.

Dave.

Nut Tree wrote:
[...]

Nut Tree

Nah, they were there but if you think of the size of their line it is easily
overwhelmed by the yellow, blue and red. I remember the booth because the
fellow in front of me was looking for a "d-handle" base for his combo set.

Dave

I saw literally TWO pieces of PC gear at the Calgary show.
One of the local tool shops were told NOT to bring any PC
product to the booth. They had one D-handle router mounted
to display a JessEm table... that was it. With the
abundance of "yellow", you would think the show was "sponsored".

Dave.

Nut Tree wrote:
Nah, they were there but if you think of the size of their line it is easily
overwhelmed by the yellow, blue and red. I remember the booth because the
fellow in front of me was looking for a "d-handle" base for his combo set.

Nut Tree

Down here it was the big three major stores that dictate what can be on
display. KMS is starting to sell General and could not bring any to the
show. House of Tools had the General display. All in all most everything
was made off shore or at least looked like it. One big exception though.
An older man had a couple of glass display counters filled with old tools.
Mostly planes but a few other hand tools too. He sat quietly among the
masses content with his display. I stopped to speak to him and his eyes
would light up as he spoke of the tools and their history. A nice respite
from the rush of the show. Nothing at his booth was for sale. Just for
show.

BeerBoy

Porter Cable was well represented in the Summit Tools area with the Delta
stuff.

Nut Tree wrote:
[...]

ot- The Ted Nugent Show Gunner Metalworking 22 June 15th 04 02:32 AM
Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 06:44 PM
wood use query - wood movement HarryM Woodworking 1 July 10th 03 03:38 PM