AAvK

Default Brace drilling bench bolt holes

I am going to drill bench bolt holes into the stretchers and side braces
using a hand brace hopefully through a self centering doweling jig,
maybe 8" total depth to meet the nut holes, for the stretchers and shorter
for the side braces. Straight through the tenons but that length must
include to the outside of the leg, thickness from a "blind mortise".

I noticed, because of the single wide flute of the bit (old Greenlee), it
wobbles widely in the SCDJ, so I don't think it would work to keep it
straight.

Was there ever a DJ made for these types of bits? Any specific maker and
model#?

Or should I buy a long brad point bit and use my skildrill?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Dave W

The dowel jig is meant to align holes that will be about one inch in depth.
8 inches is another story. Spade type bits are famous for going around
corners; very difficult to drill a straight 8 inch hole with one of these.
Better off with an auger type bitt. Or.....is it too late to make these
holes using the drill press.
Dave

BillyBob

"AAvK" wrote in message

I am going to drill bench bolt holes into the stretchers and side braces
using a hand brace hopefully through a self centering doweling jig,
maybe 8" total depth to meet the nut holes, for the stretchers and shorter
for the side braces.

The cheapest alternative is to buy an auger bit for your brace (about $10 in
my area). Drill a small pilot hole (1/8") about 2-3" deep using whatever
means you have to make it straight. Then follow with the brace and bit.
The pilot hole will cause the brace to follow a straight path.

Bob

AAvK

The cheapest alternative is to buy an auger bit for your brace (about $10 in
my area). Drill a small pilot hole (1/8") about 2-3" deep using whatever
means you have to make it straight. Then follow with the brace and bit.
The pilot hole will cause the brace to follow a straight path.

Bob

Interesting, I can't see that... I have augers but they have lead screws, and that
going into a pilot hole with nothing to twist into so it is drawn in properly?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

The dowel jig is meant to align holes that will be about one inch in depth.
8 inches is another story. Spade type bits are famous for going around corners; very difficult to drill a straight 8 inch hole
with one of these. Better off with an auger type bitt. Or.....is it too late to make these holes using the drill press.
Dave

I only have the very small DP, but I have augers and braces. The tenons are cut
but not all finished... some still need to be cut down to length. I get the impression
that auger bits tend to wander off the straight line while in use.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

bridger

AAvK wrote:
I am going to drill bench bolt holes into the stretchers and side braces
using a hand brace hopefully through a self centering doweling jig,
maybe 8" total depth to meet the nut holes, for the stretchers and shorter
for the side braces. Straight through the tenons but that length must
include to the outside of the leg, thickness from a "blind mortise".

I noticed, because of the single wide flute of the bit (old Greenlee), it
wobbles widely in the SCDJ, so I don't think it would work to keep it
straight.

Was there ever a DJ made for these types of bits? Any specific maker and
model#?

Or should I buy a long brad point bit and use my skildrill?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

you can drill a nice clean straight hole with just a bit and brace. the
dowell jig will just get in the way.

first, make sure the bit is in good shape. get it clean and sharp, and
make sure it is straight.
start a hole with it in a chunk of scrap wood. when the spur just
completes scoring the circle, stop and carefully measure that circle.
if it's undersize from wear on the outside of the spur you'll have a
hard time controlling the bit.

now carefully lay out your hole, both the entrance and exit of it. draw
lines on the workpiece thet intersect at the center of the hole. make a
line parallel to the edge of the bench and one perpendicular to it.

now get a buddy with good eyes and steady nerves. as you drill, have
your helper sight the bit against the lines. if you have a surface you
can set a framing square to to compare that against the bit, all the
better. go slow, checking frequently, especially at first. once the bit
is buried an inch or two into the wood you won't be able to steer it
much, so get it straight to start with. make a few practise holes to
get your signals straight.

AAvK

you can drill a nice clean straight hole with just a bit and brace. the
dowell jig will just get in the way.

first, make sure the bit is in good shape. get it clean and sharp, and
make sure it is straight.
start a hole with it in a chunk of scrap wood. when the spur just
completes scoring the circle, stop and carefully measure that circle.
if it's undersize from wear on the outside of the spur you'll have a
hard time controlling the bit.

Did that, I made the hole about 1/16" deep. Upon the two crosswise
measurments, the caliper reads 0.521" width. Old Greenlee steel is
damn nice, already have this bit very sharp, Lee's book, filing then
soft and hard Arkansas mini stones.

now carefully lay out your hole, both the entrance and exit of it. draw
lines on the workpiece thet intersect at the center of the hole. make a
line parallel to the edge of the bench and one perpendicular to it.

now get a buddy with good eyes and steady nerves. as you drill, have
your helper sight the bit against the lines. if you have a surface you
can set a framing square to to compare that against the bit, all the
better. go slow, checking frequently, especially at first. once the bit
is buried an inch or two into the wood you won't be able to steer it
much, so get it straight to start with. make a few practise holes to
get your signals straight.

THANKS! (After two weeks!) I will save your text and do it all when the
time comes. Great to finally get some help. Much appreciated.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Drilling flat bottom holes jim sehr Metalworking 32 September 16th 03 03:11 AM
Drilling flat bottom holes..... Thanks! Marty Metalworking 0 September 9th 03 11:05 PM
Drilling holes John Edgar UK diy 5 September 8th 03 04:47 PM
Drilling Steel....big holes Mike Graham Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 02:26 PM
drilling 'actual' sized holes with HSS drill bits bill yohler Metalworking 17 August 5th 03 11:49 AM