Mike Graham

Default Drilling Steel....big holes

In article , Jesse L Zufall wrote:

I have a 4x7.7 I-beam I need to drill a series of 1 3/8, 2" and 2 1/2" holes
through the web. What is the most productive means to accomplish this. I
have tried the BLU-MOL hole cutters but the noise is incredible and it is a
slow process. Need to cut the noise and increase the speed. I see where
Travers has circle cutters ..( 57-071-001) was wondering if anyone has ever
tried these and how the hold up.
I do have access to an small lathe and mill and am open to other
alternatives.

Cut the holes with a torch. You *could* use a rotabroach for the smaller
sizes, but unless you've got a real good reason not to, I'd just use the
torch. Those circle cutters can't be used effectively in hand tools.

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Trevor Jones

Jesse L Zufall wrote:

I have a 4x7.7 I-beam I need to drill a series of 1 3/8, 2" and 2 1/2" holes
through the web. What is the most productive means to accomplish this. I
have tried the BLU-MOL hole cutters but the noise is incredible and it is a
slow process. Need to cut the noise and increase the speed. I see where
Travers has circle cutters ..( 57-071-001) was wondering if anyone has ever
tried these and how the hold up.
I do have access to an small lathe and mill and am open to other
alternatives.

Jesse L Zufall
Silt Co

Sounds to me like it's time to find a magnetic base drill. Try a tool
rental outfit. Try calling any local contracters that deal in steel
construction.

Alternatives:
Template and a plasma cutter- relatively clean cuts, fast, probably
going to require a small hole to start.
Oxy -Acet cutting torch - cheap and available, holes can be ugly if
operator is unskilled.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Jesse L Zufall

I thought about the torch but I am not well versed in it's use. I recon
practice might make it more practical. I am building a grill guard for a
friend of mine for his semi tractor trailer rig... he is tired of having the
deer and elk grace his radiator. I am welding 2.5" DOM as a sleeve in the
web of the beam and running 1.5" schd 80 through the DOM and holding it
there via set screws. The idea is that if he really bends a pipe up he can
pull it out of the DOM and replace it or straighten it. It is a mammoth
project and should come in at around 300 lbs.
JLZ

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Jesse L Zufall says...

I have a 4x7.7 I-beam I need to drill a series of 1 3/8, 2" and 2 1/2"

holes
through the web. What is the most productive means to accomplish this.

What's going through the holes? I would say a flame drill
would be one easy way to do this.

You are aware that a hole like this will weaken the
beam to some degree, right?

Jim

please reply to:

Mike Graham

In article , Trevor Jones wrote:

Sounds to me like it's time to find a magnetic base drill. Try a tool
rental outfit. Try calling any local contracters that deal in steel
construction.

A normal mag-base drill like a Rotabroach won't go much over 2".

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada
David Courtney

In my experience, the Blu-Mol type holesaws work really well... if you
get the speed and down feed correct.
I don't even pretend to be a machinist, but you need to turn the big
hole saws much slower than most electric hand drills turn, and you need to
push down very hard. There are so many teeth in contact with the work, that
it's almost impossible to get enough downward force by hand.
Setting up your mill at something like 150 - 200 rpm (if you can) and
using plenty of lube and down feed... I *think* you could make those holes
very easily, quickly, and without a lot of noise. Unfortunately, my milling
head only goes down to 380 rpm and none of my drill presses go below 300
rpm... but that's my own problem. lol
There are some basic rpm guidelines here (I'm sure there are others
online)
http://www.buy-power-tools.com/dewheavdutho.html where the maximum rpm for a
2-1/2 hole saw is listed at only 135 rpm.
Just a thought. It sounds like you have the right tool... possibly not
the right implementation.
David

--
Do you know the difference between "involved" and "committed"?
Its kind of like bacon and eggs.....The chicken is involved, the pig is

Gary Coffman

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:55:15 -0600, "Jesse L Zufall" wrote:
I have a 4x7.7 I-beam I need to drill a series of 1 3/8, 2" and 2 1/2" holes
through the web. What is the most productive means to accomplish this. I
have tried the BLU-MOL hole cutters but the noise is incredible and it is a
slow process. Need to cut the noise and increase the speed. I see where
Travers has circle cutters ..( 57-071-001) was wondering if anyone has ever
tried these and how the hold up.
I do have access to an small lathe and mill and am open to other
alternatives.

Make a plywood template and cut them with a plasma torch.
Quick, clean, easy.

Gary
Jesse L Zufall

I was running the 2" and the 2 1/2" at 180 which is low as the Glausing
would go. I had to back off the downfeed as the belt would start slipping.
Maybe I should be asking how much play I should have in the belt?

I am starting to lie the idea of a plasma cutter.......hmm....more toys!
Jesse

"David Courtney" wrote in message
[...]

Ron Leap

Jesse,

If there were a limited number of holes to drill, a steel fabrication
shop would probably use a magnetic drill and annular cutters such as
rotabroach. You don't state the length of the beam but if you can get
it on a mill table you could use the annular cutters in the mill.
These cutters are not cheap but they are a big step up in performance
above a hole saw. You cannot use these cutters in a portable drill
because the setup needs to be fairly rigid. Here is a link to Hougan,
probably the most well known manufacturer of annular cutters:
http://www.hougen.com/cutters/cutters_index.html.

Depending on the accuracy of hole required a second alternative would
be to plasma or flame cut the holes using magnetic drive circular
pattern cutter. You would need to go to a welding shop to have this
done. Depending on the number of holes, this alternative would
probably be cheaper than buying cutters.

IMO the Travers circle cutter that you are considering is not rigid
enough to cut through thick steel. I have used such a cutter in wood
and it is barely rigid enough for that application. I consider them
somewhat dangerous. Also it would be even slower than a hole saw.

Ron
Mark McGrath

"Jesse L Zufall" wrote in message ...
I have a 4x7.7 I-beam I need to drill a series of 1 3/8, 2" and 2 1/2" holes
through the web. What is the most productive means to accomplish this. I
have tried the BLU-MOL hole cutters but the noise is incredible and it is a
slow process. Need to cut the noise and increase the speed. I see where
Travers has circle cutters ..( 57-071-001) was wondering if anyone has ever
tried these and how the hold up.
I do have access to an small lathe and mill and am open to other
alternatives.

Jesse L Zufall
Silt Co

Hire a rotabroach.
Regards,Mark.
Mike Graham

In article , Ron Leap wrote:

If there were a limited number of holes to drill, a steel fabrication
shop would probably use a magnetic drill and annular cutters such as
rotabroach.

Everybody keeps saying 'rotabroach'. The mag-base ones don't get that
big. 2-1/16" or so is as big as you can run in a mag-base. They make
bigger ones, but only for mills (big shanks).

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada

drilling steel? Dave UK diy 26 October 29th 03 03:03 PM
drilling steel? Dave Metalworking 29 October 29th 03 03:03 PM
Drilling holes John Edgar UK diy 5 September 8th 03 04:47 PM