Buck Turgidson

Default "Portable" Contractor Saw

I really want to upgrade to a contractor saw like a Delta or Grizzly,
but I have a small shop in a finished basement, and would prefer to do
any cutting outside.

Are there any contractor saws that can be easily moved outside through a
standard size door, or do I want my cake and eat it, too?

Charlie Self

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I really want to upgrade to a contractor saw like a Delta or Grizzly,
but I have a small shop in a finished basement, and would prefer to do
any cutting outside.

Are there any contractor saws that can be easily moved outside through a
standard size door, or do I want my cake and eat it, too?

Take a look at the Ridgid Job Site saw.

woodworker88

Also the Ryobi, very similar to the Ridgid, has a collapsible wheeled
cart.

Stephen M

Are there any contractor saws that can be easily moved outside through a
standard size door, or do I want my cake and eat it, too?

Probably not a contractor's saw, as the motor hanging off the back is just
not going to fit.

However, some of the cabinet-style hybrids might make it. You would probably
want to look at making your own mobile base with bigger than normal casters
to make it over the threashold. Sears has a couple of new saws which were
(suprisingly) well reviewed that might fit the bill.

Exterior doors are usually about 36" right?

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...G1023S_ds.pdf?

According to Grizzly their entry-level cabinet saw is 32"

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/M-708770.pdf

Jet supersaw table is 27. Not sure what the fence adds.

-Steve

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Buck Turgidson wrote:
I really want to upgrade to a contractor saw like a Delta or Grizzly,
but I have a small shop in a finished basement, and would prefer to do
any cutting outside.

Are there any contractor saws that can be easily moved outside through a
standard size door, or do I want my cake and eat it, too?

a) "depends on the size of the door".
b) moving the saw *through* the _door_ is *really* hard on the saw -- not to
mention what it does to the door.

A standard contractor saw can be induced to fit through a typical 3' doorway.
*BUT*,
You cannot have a 'wing' on either side of the base table.
the fence must be supported by a front rail, *only*,
you must have enough space to the right of the doorway for
the fence rail to clear right up to the door opening.
you must have some 'swing space' on the far side of the door
opening.

Upscale

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
You cannot have a 'wing' on either side of the base table.
the fence must be supported by a front rail, *only*,
you must have enough space to the right of the doorway for
the fence rail to clear right up to the door opening.
you must have some 'swing space' on the far side of the door
opening.

Never really looked into it and I've never heard of one, but somewhere,
there should be a contractor type saw with the motor underneath the table
like a cabinet saw except that it has an open frame like a contractor's saw.
Can't see why it isn't feasible. Lighter frame, smaller trunion to reduce
weight, no wings or very short one for convenience sake? Isn't there
anything like that on the market?

Dave D

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I really want to upgrade to a contractor saw like a Delta or Grizzly,
but I have a small shop in a finished basement, and would prefer to do
any cutting outside.

Are there any contractor saws that can be easily moved outside through a
standard size door, or do I want my cake and eat it, too?

I have a Craftsman contractor saw (have had it for a couple of years). Move
it regularly thru standard doors with no trouble. The only negative is that
it has a tendency to be a bit top heavy. When cutting a full sheet of
plywood, for example, two people are required to be safe.

Dave D

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Upscale wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
You cannot have a 'wing' on either side of the base table.
the fence must be supported by a front rail, *only*,
you must have enough space to the right of the doorway for
the fence rail to clear right up to the door opening.
you must have some 'swing space' on the far side of the door
opening.

Never really looked into it and I've never heard of one, but somewhere,
there should be a contractor type saw with the motor underneath the table
like a cabinet saw except that it has an open frame like a contractor's saw.
Can't see why it isn't feasible. Lighter frame, smaller trunion to reduce
weight, no wings or very short one for convenience sake? Isn't there
anything like that on the market?

Probably because the conventional 'contractor' saw design can be used sitting
on top of "anything". Your design would require an 'open top' frame for
support, as well as making it much more difficult/awkward to transport.

Upscale

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

Probably because the conventional 'contractor' saw design can be used

sitting
on top of "anything". Your design would require an 'open top' frame for
support, as well as making it much more difficult/awkward to transport.

Yeah, didn't think of that.

Frank Boettcher

Certain models of Delta contractors saws have spring pins in the motor
bracket and quick disconnect motor cords so that the motor can be very
quickly removed and replaced. Allows the saw to fit through a 3'
door. Designed specifically for that purpose.