No

Default Portable sawmill owners question

Hello - I seem to recall that folks with portable saw mills will mill in
exchange for wood. Is this common? What is the max capacity of a typical
portable mill? Can a portable mill handle a 175 year old Oak aprox 3 foot
diameter and a straight 15 foot length? I have a few oaks about that size on
the ground plus a couple of others of unknown species about the same age.
All are on the ground and limbed. One of the largest, 41" at base. has about
an 8" hollow core at the 16' cut, not at the base. If folks do do it in
exchange for the wood what is typical? 50/50? 80/20? 20/80? 99/1? If a blade
hits a piece of metal or is damaged then what?

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

Doug Miller

In article , "No" wrote:

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

Contact Wood-Mizer (www.wood-mizer.com) and they can put you in touch with
owners of their mills in your area.

--
Regards,

Oil Famine

Contact Dave Anderson in Breezewood (S/Central PA) at 717-860-0613

=====================

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

Wilson

None of them around here have a market for the wood and want money.
Handling rough wood takes more time than most people will put in. You'll
get some great wood for about .40.BF. Enjoy.
Wilson
"No" wrote in message ...
Hello - I seem to recall that folks with portable saw mills will mill in
exchange for wood. Is this common? What is the max capacity of a typical
portable mill? Can a portable mill handle a 175 year old Oak aprox 3 foot
diameter and a straight 15 foot length? I have a few oaks about that size
on
the ground plus a couple of others of unknown species about the same age.
All are on the ground and limbed. One of the largest, 41" at base. has
about
an 8" hollow core at the 16' cut, not at the base. If folks do do it in
exchange for the wood what is typical? 50/50? 80/20? 20/80? 99/1? If a
blade
hits a piece of metal or is damaged then what?

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

Doug Miller

In article , "No" wrote:
Done - No response yet.

You could phone them - there is a contact number on the website - or, if you
like, I could have SWMBO try to light a fire under somebody's butt (she works
there).

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "No" wrote:

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

Contact Wood-Mizer (www.wood-mizer.com) and they can put you in touch with
owners of their mills in your area.

--
Regards,

No

I got a response and have a guy coming out to take a look Friday or
Saturday. A real nice country boy who chatted my ear off for about 1/2 hour.
I'm looking forward to working with him. He is a bit concerned given that
some of the logs have been down since winter and one has been down for maybe
a year. I see not rot or anything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this
will be a win win.

In article , "No" wrote:
Done - No response yet.

You could phone them - there is a contact number on the website - or, if
you
like, I could have SWMBO try to light a fire under somebody's butt (she
works
there).

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "No" wrote:

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

Contact Wood-Mizer (www.wood-mizer.com) and they can put you in touch
with
owners of their mills in your area.

--
Regards,

No

I know for a fact that there is metal in one piece. Trees are in an old
campground. When electricity was invented some wires were strung on the
trees! There may be spikes, insulators and wire in sections. Who knows. One
piece does have a wire poking out.

"Steve" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:56:23 -0400, "No" wrote:

Hello - I seem to recall that folks with portable saw mills will mill in
exchange for wood. Is this common? What is the max capacity of a typical
portable mill? Can a portable mill handle a 175 year old Oak aprox 3 foot
diameter and a straight 15 foot length? I have a few oaks about that size
on
the ground plus a couple of others of unknown species about the same age.
All are on the ground and limbed. One of the largest, 41" at base. has
about
an 8" hollow core at the 16' cut, not at the base. If folks do do it in
exchange for the wood what is typical? 50/50? 80/20? 20/80? 99/1? If a
blade
hits a piece of metal or is damaged then what?

Anyone in south central PA interested in milling this?

The experience that I have had is that trees in yards and along fence
rows are the most suspect for metal objects. I use a metal detector to
check for nails and such.

Steve

Odinn

Steve wrote:
[...]

The Maple and Oak that I had sawed this weekend had nails (ruined 2
blades). My FIL has lived there for over 8 years (since shortly after
the house was built), and never put any nails in the trees. We suspect
that someone had built a deer stand on one, as the nail heads were 2"
deep in the tree, and there were quite a few of them.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net