Alan Witt

Default Question about portable electric planers

I hope someone could teach me a few things about those portable electric
planers like the Dewalt DW680K 3-1/4" portable planer.

Are these only for use on stock that's the same width as the blades, or can
it be reliably used to plane down something as big as 12" stock? I need to
plane a 12"x18" 2/4 piece of stock to 3/8" thick and all of the wood stores
in town I've talked to won't do it unless I buy the wood from them and I
already have all the stock I need.

I don't have much money, so I figure I can put it to better use purchasing
a good quality portable planer as opposed to a very cheap 12" planer. Any
advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Alan Witt wrote:
I hope someone could teach me a few things about those portable electric
planers like the Dewalt DW680K 3-1/4" portable planer.

Are these only for use on stock that's the same width as the blades, or can
it be reliably used to plane down something as big as 12" stock? I need to
plane a 12"x18" 2/4 piece of stock to 3/8" thick and all of the wood stores
in town I've talked to won't do it unless I buy the wood from them and I
already have all the stock I need.

I don't have much money, so I figure I can put it to better use purchasing
a good quality portable planer as opposed to a very cheap 12" planer. Any
advice is appreciated. Thank you.

The handheld planers are not good for surfacing wider boards,
they are really designed for door edges and similar work. It is very
easy to make a mistake & go too far when you use them on wider
surfaces, and you will still need to use a handplane or sander to get
a finished surface.

Do you have a tablesaw and dado? Set the dado up for maximum width,
and make multiple passes in the middle of the board, leaving about 2
inches or so on each edge at the original thickness. (to support the
stock while using the dado.) Then you can install the regular blade,
turn the stock on edge, using a tall auxiliary fence attached
to your rip fence if necessary, and rip off the 2 inches on
each side. Finish with a handplane or sander.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

gandalf

"Alan Witt" wrote in message
I hope someone could teach me a few things about those portable electric
planers like the Dewalt DW680K 3-1/4" portable planer.

Are these only for use on stock that's the same width as the blades, or can
it be reliably used to plane down something as big as 12" stock?

--------------
It'll plane down but you won't end up with a finished item. It'll be covered in
82mm wide tracks. It may be far from square to the edge and will likely look
like hell. I speak from experience of my own attempts to plane down stock wider
than the blades. It you just want to get to almost the desired thickness then I
suppose it's OK but you'll need to finish with a hand plane or sander to get it
about right. The portable electric planers are not up to task, IMHO, as they
weren't designed for it. However I have thought that if the blades were reground
to knock off the edges we could get something close to what we want. But I
haven't tried it yet. If anyone has then please let us know the results.

On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:40:55 GMT, Alan Witt
wrote:

I hope someone could teach me a few things about those portable electric
planers like the Dewalt DW680K 3-1/4" portable planer.

Are these only for use on stock that's the same width as the blades, or can
it be reliably used to plane down something as big as 12" stock? I need to
plane a 12"x18" 2/4 piece of stock to 3/8" thick and all of the wood stores
in town I've talked to won't do it unless I buy the wood from them and I
already have all the stock I need.

I don't have much money, so I figure I can put it to better use purchasing
a good quality portable planer as opposed to a very cheap 12" planer. Any
advice is appreciated. Thank you.

they are intended for use on materials equal to or less than the width
of the blade. that said, it is possible to do a passable job of what
you want, but it will take some practise to aquire skill enough with
the tool to pull it off. the basic procedure is the same as with
thicknessing with hand planes- I think Jeff Gorman's website covers
that pretty well. an unpowered hand plane will likely do a better job,
take a little longer, cost about the same, be easier to sharpen and be
more fun, if you're into that sort of thing.
Alan Witt

Thanks for your response. That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought
of that. One side of this piece won't be visible, so perfection is not a
requirement. Just need to get it close to the needed thickness.

(Lawrence Wasserman) wrote in
:

In article ,
Alan Witt wrote:
[...]

Wilson

When you need it, it's great, but I rarely use mine. You can get a 12"
planer for almost the same cost, especially used. I saw a new Delta at HD
for $199. FAR more useful.
Wilson
"Alan Witt" wrote in message
I hope someone could teach me a few things about those portable electric
planers like the Dewalt DW680K 3-1/4" portable planer.

Are these only for use on stock that's the same width as the blades, or

can
it be reliably used to plane down something as big as 12" stock? I need

plane a 12"x18" 2/4 piece of stock to 3/8" thick and all of the wood

stores
in town I've talked to won't do it unless I buy the wood from them and I
already have all the stock I need.

I don't have much money, so I figure I can put it to better use purchasing
a good quality portable planer as opposed to a very cheap 12" planer. Any
advice is appreciated. Thank you.

RB

I use my portable planer once in a while to plane a door or something
like that. I wouldn't choose it to plane a board wider than the knives.

For boards I prefer to use my 12" planer. Today I ran a couple hundred
feet of 5/4 birch through.

You'd do better by letting folks know where you are and perhaps someone
in your area on this list would run it through their planer for you.

If you have already cut the piece to 12 x 18 and want to end up with a
thinner 12 x 18 piece you will probably need both planing and thickness
sanding. I've yet to find a planer that can guarantee absolutely no snipe.

RB