Jennifer Ann

Default Paste wax help!!!!

Hi - I have a problem. I just purchased an expensive coffee table. I
don't know what the finish is however; I decided to protect it with a
coat of furniture polish.

I used something called Behlen Blue Label Paste Wax, which I friend
had. It says that it has Carnauba wax and should be used on furniture
and floors.

The problem is that it came out streaked and with swirls. It looks
horrible! Is there something I can do? Remove it? How?

Jenny

Its Behlen Blue Lable paste wax. It's supposedly a good wax. Usually
you can use the original wax to disolve the wax thats harden on. I
would try it on a small area, put the wax on a clean cotton cloth, run
it into the swirl and wipe it off as soon as possible. This should
remove the swirl (and most of the wax). If this works then do the
rest.

Then you can try again, or use another wax. Don't let the wax dry
completly this time, simply wait 5 minutes or so. Or try Briwax.

Al
Jennifer Ann wrote:
Hi - I have a problem. I just purchased an expensive coffee table. I
don't know what the finish is however; I decided to protect it with a
coat of furniture polish.

I used something called Behlen Blue Label Paste Wax, which I friend
had. It says that it has Carnauba wax and should be used on furniture
and floors.

The problem is that it came out streaked and with swirls. It looks
horrible! Is there something I can do? Remove it? How?

Jenny

WillR

Jennifer Ann wrote:
Hi - I have a problem. I just purchased an expensive coffee table. I
don't know what the finish is however; I decided to protect it with a
coat of furniture polish.

I used something called Behlen Blue Label Paste Wax, which I friend
had. It says that it has Carnauba wax and should be used on furniture
and floors.

The problem is that it came out streaked and with swirls. It looks
horrible! Is there something I can do? Remove it? How?

Jenny

Try a test.

Apply wax to a small area. Wait a minute or two and buff -- does it look
ok? If so you waited too long to buff. In that case -- you now know how
to repair the mess...

Without knowing the finish, advice might be dangerous. your risk... Call
the manufacturer or the store where you purchased.

Presumably you can use Varsol or similar or any paint solvent. Then
again -- maybe you can't. If it was made in a modern shop it is probably
a "conversion" finish -- and the only way to damage it (easily) is to
physically gouge it etc.

We have a Vilas Rock Maple Dining room table -- varsol soaked rags can
sit on it for a long time (a week or more) without damaging the finish.
We "tested" -- by mistake. Would I do that on anything else without a
test in an inconspicuous area? uh no!

Apply wax in an inconspicuous area -- wait till it dries and try a dab
of solvent. See if it dissolves the wax without harming the finish. I
should... ???

One of the most valuable lessons in wood working and finishing -- is
_TEST_ before you do the whole job. We all learn it -- eventually.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
SonomaProducts.com

When wacing you need to apply very little. What you are seeing is
residue of un-buffed wax. You eventually buff it out with enough elbow
grease. Here is what I would do.

1. Wax is usually mixed up with a chemical called Naptha. Get a small
can of Naptha at a finish supply store, probably even Home Depot and it
is safe to wipe over any finish and will completly strip the wax.

2. Use a clean cloth (or 0000 steel wool if you want to renew the
surface more than just wax it). Dab it in the Behlen wax (good stuff)
just a bit. In circular motion, moving real fast, apply it to an area
about the size of two sheets of paper until it sort dries out. Wait 5
minutes and buff it out with a terry cloth or cotton rag. Move fast
enough to generate some heat and vioila! You will have a beatiful
shine.

Note that waxed surfaces do not like water and will tend to show finger
prints a bit easier but you can re-buff it anytime you like.

Baron

You can not apply furniture paste wax like you are using Pledge. Put a
small lump in the center of a clean cotton cleaning cloth (cloth diapers are
great for this). Wrap up the lump such that there is only one layer of
cloth between the lump and the wax toward the bottom of the wrapping. Rub
the cloth wrapped wax on the table. The heat that is created by friction
and your hand is enough to cause a small amount of wax to penetrate the
cloth and be applied to the table. The idea is to use the tinniest amount
of wax to wax a table that will do the job. Once the applied wax has hazed
over, or just a hair before, buff the table like mad. You should only do as
large a section at a time as you will be able to successfully buff before
the wax gets to hard to buff.

Good Luck.

"Jennifer Ann" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi - I have a problem. I just purchased an expensive coffee table. I
don't know what the finish is however; I decided to protect it with a
coat of furniture polish.

I used something called Behlen Blue Label Paste Wax, which I friend
had. It says that it has Carnauba wax and should be used on furniture
and floors.

The problem is that it came out streaked and with swirls. It looks
horrible! Is there something I can do? Remove it? How?

Jenny

Casey

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
When wacing you need to apply very little. What you are seeing is
residue of un-buffed wax. You eventually buff it out with enough elbow
grease. Here is what I would do.

1. Wax is usually mixed up with a chemical called Naptha. Get a small
can of Naptha at a finish supply store, probably even Home Depot and it
is safe to wipe over any finish and will completly strip the wax.

2. Use a clean cloth (or 0000 steel wool if you want to renew the
surface more than just wax it). Dab it in the Behlen wax (good stuff)
just a bit. In circular motion, moving real fast, apply it to an area
about the size of two sheets of paper until it sort dries out. Wait 5
minutes and buff it out with a terry cloth or cotton rag. Move fast
enough to generate some heat and vioila! You will have a beatiful
shine.

I really recommend a woolen polishing cloth; I use old wool socks or wool
flannel. Wool cuts the wax off better than cotton. May help remove the
streaks.
Casey

Note that waxed surfaces do not like water and will tend to show finger
prints a bit easier but you can re-buff it anytime you like.

Jennifer Ann

Thank you all for your advice! I rewaxed it a small part at a time. I
used my husband's buffer from the garage and it worked well. The table
is beautiful!

Thanks,

Jenny

Prometheus

On 14 Jun 2005 11:43:59 -0700, "Jennifer Ann"
wrote:

Hi - I have a problem. I just purchased an expensive coffee table. I
don't know what the finish is however; I decided to protect it with a
coat of furniture polish.

I used something called Behlen Blue Label Paste Wax, which I friend
had. It says that it has Carnauba wax and should be used on furniture
and floors.

The problem is that it came out streaked and with swirls. It looks
horrible! Is there something I can do? Remove it? How?

Buff it, and buff it, and then buff it some more. The streaks and
swirls are because you put too much wax on. If it's a semi-solid wax,
try putting a little in the center of a rag, rolling the rag up, and
then applying it through the cloth next time.

Prometheus

On 14 Jun 2005 13:34:50 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

When wacing you need to apply very little. What you are seeing is
residue of un-buffed wax. You eventually buff it out with enough elbow
grease. Here is what I would do.

1. Wax is usually mixed up with a chemical called Naptha. Get a small
can of Naptha at a finish supply store, probably even Home Depot and it
is safe to wipe over any finish and will completly strip the wax.

FWIW, Naptha is also sold as "lighter fluid", and you can get it at
the gas station if, like me, you live a long way from the hardware
store.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:18:16 -0500, the opaque Prometheus
spake:

wrote:

When wacing you need to apply very little. What you are seeing is
residue of un-buffed wax. You eventually buff it out with enough elbow
grease. Here is what I would do.

1. Wax is usually mixed up with a chemical called Naptha. Get a small
can of Naptha at a finish supply store, probably even Home Depot and it
is safe to wipe over any finish and will completly strip the wax.

FWIW, Naptha is also sold as "lighter fluid", and you can get it at
the gas station if, like me, you live a long way from the hardware
store.

Lighter fluid, huh? I've _always_ wanted my table (and living room)
to smell just like a WWII Zippo.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Patrick Conroy

"Jennifer Ann" wrote in
oups.com:

Thank you all for your advice! I rewaxed it a small part at a time. I
used my husband's buffer from the garage and it worked well. The table
is beautiful!

It's all in the tools...
Dave Hall

wrote:

When wacing you need to apply very little. What you are seeing is
residue of un-buffed wax. You eventually buff it out with enough elbow
grease. Here is what I would do.

1. Wax is usually mixed up with a chemical called Naptha. Get a small
can of Naptha at a finish supply store, probably even Home Depot and it
is safe to wipe over any finish and will completly strip the wax.

FWIW, Naptha is also sold as "lighter fluid", and you can get it at
the gas station if, like me, you live a long way from the hardware
store.

Lighter fluid, huh? I've _always_ wanted my table (and living room)
to smell just like a WWII Zippo.

....and here I always thought that they filled Zippos up with gas, kero
or airplane fuel during WWII....

Paste Wax Finish Question buck Woodworking 5 December 21st 04 04:31 PM
What paste wax for table saw top? Billy Smith Woodworking 35 October 17th 04 05:55 PM
Pickling Paste on stainless steel: WHITE HAZE WON'T COME OFF RainLover Metalworking 18 September 6th 04 03:23 PM
Bees wax paste Kip055 Woodturning 3 January 28th 04 12:25 AM
Use paste wax (only) on fir floor? GotOuttaIdaho Home Repair 9 January 25th 04 07:05 PM