WillR

Jennifer Ann wrote:
Hi - I have a problem. I just purchased an expensive coffee table. I
don't know what the finish is however; I decided to protect it with a
coat of furniture polish.

I used something called Behlen Blue Label Paste Wax, which I friend
had. It says that it has Carnauba wax and should be used on furniture
and floors.

The problem is that it came out streaked and with swirls. It looks
horrible! Is there something I can do? Remove it? How?

Jenny

Try a test.

Apply wax to a small area. Wait a minute or two and buff -- does it look
ok? If so you waited too long to buff. In that case -- you now know how
to repair the mess...

Without knowing the finish, advice might be dangerous. your risk... Call
the manufacturer or the store where you purchased.

Presumably you can use Varsol or similar or any paint solvent. Then
again -- maybe you can't. If it was made in a modern shop it is probably
a "conversion" finish -- and the only way to damage it (easily) is to
physically gouge it etc.

We have a Vilas Rock Maple Dining room table -- varsol soaked rags can
sit on it for a long time (a week or more) without damaging the finish.
We "tested" -- by mistake. Would I do that on anything else without a
test in an inconspicuous area? uh no!

Apply wax in an inconspicuous area -- wait till it dries and try a dab
of solvent. See if it dissolves the wax without harming the finish. I
should... ???

One of the most valuable lessons in wood working and finishing -- is
_TEST_ before you do the whole job. We all learn it -- eventually.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek