Highland Pairos

Default Cross cutting wide panels

I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective. I do not want to use the rip fence to guide them because that
will make a cut that is parallel to the end not necessarily square to the
sides. My current best solution is to make another sled that is really wide
(or deep depending on your perspective). If I do that I will be making the
base out of 12mm Baltic birch rather then 3/4 something in order to keep the
weight down. Unless I see a better idea, I will probably measure the depth
of my kitchen base cabinets and make it large enough to accommodate a side
for one. I figure that is probably the largest panel I am likely to deal
with in the future. However, I have been trying to figure out a system that
would not have a panel width limitation. I thought about eliminating the
fence on the leading edge of the sled, but that obviously would present some
issues once I make the first cut. What about a sled that only rides on one
side of the blade and only uses one mitre slot? I guess that would be kind
of like a sliding table. What are the pros and cons of a design like that?
That would allow me to not worry about a fence on the leading edge but I
would still have issues with the amount of table space there is before the
blade. How would I handle the sled with that much of it hanging off the
front of the saw?

SteveP.

Bob Heveri

You can attach a wooden straight edge using hot glue, brads or clamps to the
bottom of the panel and paralel to the cut. Set this at a the distance you
want to cut the panel and let the straight edge ride against the edge of
your table saw. It sounds complicated but it's not.
bob heveri
"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
[...]

You could also equip your circular saw with the best carbide blade you
can find, clamp a straightedge across the panel (square, of course) and
go at it. Works with a router and straight or spiral bit too. Perhaps
your thinking is "stuck" on one machine, the TS, keeping you from
finding the easiest solution. Happens to me now and then...

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Highland Pairos wrote:
I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective.

The simplest way to handle this is to simply clamp a straight edge to the
desired spot and then have at it with a circular saw. I bought an aluminum
straightedge that can handle up to a 96" panel many years ago and I always use
it to knock panels down to size before I do anything on the table saw.

Forget constructing a special sled for this; you're working much too hard.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Doug Miller

In article , "Highland Pairos" wrote:
I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective.

[snip]
What about a sled that only rides on one
side of the blade and only uses one mitre slot? I guess that would be kind
of like a sliding table. What are the pros and cons of a design like that?

That's what I use. Pros: it allows me to cut panels as wide as the sled. Cons:
large offcuts need to be supported.

That would allow me to not worry about a fence on the leading edge but I
would still have issues with the amount of table space there is before the
blade. How would I handle the sled with that much of it hanging off the
front of the saw?

I have not found that to be a problem, and my sled is made of 3/4" BB.

--
Regards,

Swingman

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message

effective. I do not want to use the rip fence to guide them because that
will make a cut that is parallel to the end not necessarily square to the
sides.

When using sheet goods, plan your cuts and take great pains to always
maintain one factory edge for this type of situation. A good cutlist program
will help you to do this.

My current best solution is to make another sled that is really wide
(or deep depending on your perspective). If I do that I will be making

the
base out of 12mm Baltic birch rather then 3/4 something in order to keep

the
weight down. Unless I see a better idea, I will probably measure the

depth
of my kitchen base cabinets and make it large enough to accommodate a side
for one.

Kitchen base cabinet end panels will not normally be more than 24" deep
(less if you have face frames). A sled for cutting side panels this size is
easily built and should be something in your arsenal of jigs in any event.

If all else fails, and you don't have a circle saw, clamp a temporary,
upside down "fence" (board or straightedge) to the workpiece, set at the
correct distance from the saw blade, and use it to reference the left edge
of your table saw's top as you make the initial cut.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 31 May 2005 04:29:30 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

[...]

My sled runs in the right hand miter slot and has the fence on the
*leading* edge. I always start with the same amount (enough) of sled
on the saw table. I "clamp" the work to the sled; right hand on the
fence, left on the back edge of the work and run it through. Works
fine for any panel width that I care to manhandle and I cut widths
that are wider than the sled just fine.

My body remains far to the right of the blade so there is no problem
with the off-chance of the off-cut kicking back. (It never does)

Purists could add some toggle clamps to the fence if they wanted too.

LDR

In article ,
says...
[...]

I have something of the same problem and, coincidentally, very recently
saw a NYWS show in which Norm Abram made a sled of 1/4 inch bb and no
fence on the leading edge, and which also left me wondering.
Charles Spitzer

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Highland Pairos wrote:
I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too
wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective.

The simplest way to handle this is to simply clamp a straight edge to the
desired spot and then have at it with a circular saw. I bought an
aluminum straightedge that can handle up to a 96" panel many years ago and
I always use it to knock panels down to size before I do anything on the
table saw.

Forget constructing a special sled for this; you're working much too hard.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

or cut it just a bit wide with the circular saw, and then move the fence
over a bit and use a straight bit on a router.

Pat Barber

I would read this article:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00035.asp

Highland Pairos wrote:

I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective.

Highland Pairos

Doug,

Do you just have to support some of the sled's weight with one hand as you
start?

SteveP

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Highland Pairos"
wrote:
[...]

Highland Pairos

When using sheet goods, plan your cuts and take great pains to always
maintain one factory edge for this type of situation. A good cutlist
program
will help you to do this.

Normally this would probably be the case, but this panle is one that I had
to manufature myself by laminating two sheets together. I didn't try to
make sure that they were perfectly square to one another because I planned
to make a crosscut to square it up.

Kitchen base cabinet end panels will not normally be more than 24" deep
(less if you have face frames). A sled for cutting side panels this size
is
easily built and should be something in your arsenal of jigs in any event.

The sled I have is maybe a half inch too small.

SteveP.

Highland Pairos

I try to avoid hand tools and straight edges when ever possible as I believe
that this has great potential to introduce error. I really wanted to find a
way to do this with great repeatability. I don't mind taking the time to
build a sled as I am sure that this is not the last time I will be trying to
make a cut like this.

SteveP.

[...]

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:52:13 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

How do you clamp to the sled? Do you use a long clamp between the trailing
edge of the work piece and the fence?

The fingers of my right hand are behind the sled fence. The heel of
my right hand can hold down the workpiece if necessary. My left hand
both pushes the work through the blade and into the sled fence. No
extra clamp required. I am the clamp.

Simpler done than explained.

SteveP.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Highland Pairos

How do you clamp to the sled? Do you use a long clamp between the
trailing
edge of the work piece and the fence?

The fingers of my right hand are behind the sled fence. The heel of
my right hand can hold down the workpiece if necessary. My left hand
both pushes the work through the blade and into the sled fence. No
extra clamp required. I am the clamp.

Simpler done than explained.

I got it. (And well explained, btw)

SteveP.

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:51:08 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
Highland Pairos wrote:
I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too
wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective.

The simplest way to handle this is to simply clamp a straight edge to the
desired spot and then have at it with a circular saw. I bought an
aluminum straightedge that can handle up to a 96" panel many years ago and
I always use it to knock panels down to size before I do anything on the
table saw.

Forget constructing a special sled for this; you're working much too hard.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

or cut it just a bit wide with the circular saw, and then move the fence
over a bit and use a straight bit on a router.

That's my preferred approach. The circular saw gets the bulk of the
material and the router with a good straightedge as a guide gets the final
fine cut.

Doug Miller

In article , "Highland Pairos" wrote:
Doug,

Do you just have to support some of the sled's weight with one hand as you
start?

Not unless I'm cutting something *really* big. The sled is 32" from front to
back. For any panel less than about 27", there's more sled on the table than
off at the *start* of the cut. And for panels less than 26", at least half of
the panel is over the table too. So balance just isn't an issue.

--
Regards,

Highland Pairos

I ended up making a one fence sled that rides in the right mitre slot. I
made it out of a 2'x4' piece of 3/4 mdf and a 3"x4' piece of 3/4 ply as the
fence. Works like a charm, and with the pieces in this case being 24ish"
wide, handling the whole thing at the start of the cut was easier then I had
expected. I took another piece of long scrap ply and clamped it to the
outside of the fence and clamped a block to that and got the repeatability
that I really wanted. I am glad I took the time to make it. I now have a
sled that will be cutting panels for a long time to come.

Thanks for your help Doug.

wrote:
Doug,

Do you just have to support some of the sled's weight with one hand as
you
start?

Not unless I'm cutting something *really* big. The sled is 32" from front
back. For any panel less than about 27", there's more sled on the table
than
off at the *start* of the cut. And for panels less than 26", at least half
of
the panel is over the table too. So balance just isn't an issue.

--
Regards,

Robatoy

In article ,
"Highland Pairos" wrote:

[circumsnipped]

I tend to take the tools to the bigger tasks, rather than the other way
around. Such is my trade. My type of countertops seldom travel over
stationary tools, unless it is to cut blanks for one of my fine
solid-surface-edged custom laminate tops. (BTW, did I tell you I
fabricate solid surface countertops?)g
The methods of sizing big panels has become second nature.
I use a variety of aluminum fences 6" wide by 1/4" thick, 36", 50", 100"
and 150" Aluminum by the pound... cheap.
In case of a fridge panel, or somesuch, I'd strap on a fence and make a
rough cut with a sharp circular saw to within 1/8" of where I want to be.
Then I move the fence with some indexes I made which line up the extra
large square routerbase with the fence so that the sharp 1 1/8" bit
takes off the last 1/8"
Always crisp, never any tear-outs or rattyness.
Works for me, and yessir, it can work for you too!
Send $29.95 to receive a printed version of this post, an heirloom for
your kids, yessir, 50 years from now, they'll open up the envelope and
say: WTF???

Robatoy

In article ,
"Highland Pairos" wrote:

I really wanted to find a
way to do this with great repeatability.

A sled it is.

cutting stainless Peter Fairbrother Metalworking 15 April 18th 05 01:56 AM
Cutting, gluing oblique angles John Moorhead Woodworking 3 February 11th 05 03:48 PM
welding, cutting jim Metalworking 5 January 31st 04 02:31 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
Removable Fencing Panels Tony Hayes UK diy 2 July 17th 03 07:41 AM