Bob Heveri

You can attach a wooden straight edge using hot glue, brads or clamps to the
bottom of the panel and paralel to the cut. Set this at a the distance you
want to cut the panel and let the straight edge ride against the edge of
your table saw. It sounds complicated but it's not.
bob heveri
"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I need to trim some side panels for a cabinet to length. They are too wide
for my crosscut sled and too wide and too long for the mitre gauge to be
effective. I do not want to use the rip fence to guide them because that
will make a cut that is parallel to the end not necessarily square to the
sides. My current best solution is to make another sled that is really
wide (or deep depending on your perspective). If I do that I will be
making the base out of 12mm Baltic birch rather then 3/4 something in order
to keep the weight down. Unless I see a better idea, I will probably
measure the depth of my kitchen base cabinets and make it large enough to
accommodate a side for one. I figure that is probably the largest panel I
am likely to deal with in the future. However, I have been trying to
figure out a system that would not have a panel width limitation. I thought
about eliminating the fence on the leading edge of the sled, but that
obviously would present some issues once I make the first cut. What about
a sled that only rides on one side of the blade and only uses one mitre
slot? I guess that would be kind of like a sliding table. What are the
pros and cons of a design like that? That would allow me to not worry about
a fence on the leading edge but I would still have issues with the amount
of table space there is before the blade. How would I handle the sled with
that much of it hanging off the front of the saw?

SteveP.