jbclem

Default Hardwood sources...Los Angeles area

LA is a pretty large place, but I'd like to find out what the recommended hardwood
sources are here. Especially those with good prices.

John

Lew Hodgett

jbclem wrote:
LA is a pretty large place, but I'd like to find out what the recommended hardwood
sources are here. Especially those with good prices.

1)What part of L/A?
2)What kind of wood?
3)How many board feet do you plan to buy?

Lew

jbclem

Not really large amounts...one thing I'd like to make a kitchen countertop, butcherblock
style, about 2 ft wide, 8-10 feet long. I'm told maple would be best, but I'm still
learning about this so I'm open to any kind of wood, though I like the look of maple. I
can go anywhere in LA, although Orange County would be a bit far, but East LA, the
Valley, South LA are within range.

John

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
jbclem wrote:
LA is a pretty large place, but I'd like to find out what the recommended hardwood
sources are here. Especially those with good prices.

1)What part of L/A?
2)What kind of wood?
3)How many board feet do you plan to buy?

Lew

joey

Santa Monica House of Hardwoods was my mainstay but here are my new favs
based on selection and price
Assuming Los Angeles

1. Ganahl Lumber --Main lot in Anaheim has an excellent selection of
domestic HWs, very few exotics. They stock mangaris cypress, hickory. The
prices at Ganahl are [in my recent shopping trips] have been about 30%
cheaper than the local Santa Monica House of Hardwoods. SMH of HW used to be
my mainstay.

2. Lane Stanton Vance City of Industry

Good selection of domestics not as deep as Ganahl but they have better
selection of exotics. Prices on domestics comparable to Ganahl.

3. Bonhoff in downtown LA. Carries rough stock, no experience with them but
heard they have a good selection of both imports and exotics at rough stock
prices.

I have word file with other places and maps if your interested

Joey

"jbclem" wrote in message
LA is a pretty large place, but I'd like to find out what the recommended

hardwood
sources are here. Especially those with good prices.

John

AAvK

Actually that would be good if you could, I live up north from LA and
make trips south to visit family, that list would be good if you could zip
it and upload it to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking would be great.
We have one place up here, "Soboba woods", pretty good place.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Lee DeRaud

On Sat, 7 May 2005 18:26:48 -0700, "joey" wrote:

Santa Monica House of Hardwoods was my mainstay but here are my new favs
based on selection and price
Assuming Los Angeles

1. Ganahl Lumber --Main lot in Anaheim has an excellent selection of
domestic HWs, very few exotics. They stock mangaris cypress, hickory. The
prices at Ganahl are [in my recent shopping trips] have been about 30%
cheaper than the local Santa Monica House of Hardwoods. SMH of HW used to be
my mainstay.

Second that recommendation. I've only been to the Anaheim store, but
FWIW they also have stores in Buena Park and Los Alamitos that might
be closer depending on exactly where in LA OP's starting point is.

Lee

Far West Plywood, in the northerly end of the valley, carries some
milled hardwoods (in spite of their name), and I've gotten good deals
there in the past. They are also very helpful in figuring out best
kinds of sheet goods for a particular (NOT MDF, heh heh) project.

Woodfinder. com may help as well, you can narrow your search to a
specific city.

Unquestionably Confused

jbclem wrote:
Great, but can someone tell me what is ABPW?

The usenet group: alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
jbclem

Thanks, I found it...and now I know what the alt.binaries groups are.

John

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. ..