John

Default Best tool to trim top of pine cabinet?

I've got to trim a quarter inch off of the top of a pine cabinet to make
room for a new refrigirator. The cabinet sits above the refrigorator. I've
got the cabinet section off, and before I have at it with my circular saw, I
thought I'd like to hear suggestions on how to make the cleanest cut. I'm
looking for a very straight line, with no chips on the edge of the cut. Just
to make it difficult, I can't find an exact match for the original stain so
it will be difficult to hide any cutting chips or splinters.

I was thinking of using my circular saw with a new blade (what to get?) and
clamp a long level to use as a fence, then pray!

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

-john

BillyBob

"John" wrote in message

I was thinking of using my circular saw with a new blade (what to get?)

and
clamp a long level to use as a fence, then pray!

It sounds like you're looking for the safest, surest and cleanest way to
trim it. A circular saw might come out fine, but it makes for a high speed
"oops" if anything goes wrong. Since you have an orginal finish you want to
preserve, I think the safest surest way would be to use a hand plane. It
will definitely give the cleanest edge. It won't take long at all to plane
off a 1/4" on pine.

Bob

Max

"John" wrote in message
I've got to trim a quarter inch off of the top of a pine cabinet to make
room for a new refrigirator. The cabinet sits above the refrigorator. I've
got the cabinet section off, and before I have at it with my circular saw,
thought I'd like to hear suggestions on how to make the cleanest cut. I'm
looking for a very straight line, with no chips on the edge of the cut.
Just
to make it difficult, I can't find an exact match for the original stain
so
it will be difficult to hide any cutting chips or splinters.

I was thinking of using my circular saw with a new blade (what to get?)
and
clamp a long level to use as a fence, then pray!

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

-john

Quarter inch? Router with a flush trimming bit. Preferably down cutting.
Fast, easy, clean.

Max D.

Max

"Max" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Check that. Use a pattern bit. Follow a straight edge clamped to the
cabinet. (I'm still a little sleepy this morning after staying up late
working on some cabinet doors) G

Max D.

Juergen Hannappel

"BillyBob" writes:

[...]

preserve, I think the safest surest way would be to use a hand plane. It
will definitely give the cleanest edge. It won't take long at all to plane
off a 1/4" on pine.

.... but since this planing would be on end grain it takes longer *and*
he risks breaking of large splinters at the end of the plate...
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Pat Barber

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

is the safe and easy way to make a "small" cut. You
could use a router or circular saw depending on what
you have.

John wrote:

I've got to trim a quarter inch off of the top of a pine cabinet to make
room for a new refrigirator. The cabinet sits above the refrigorator. I've
got the cabinet section off, and before I have at it with my circular saw, I
thought I'd like to hear suggestions on how to make the cleanest cut.

Pat Payne

I had to do the same thing when we bought a new refrigerator. I used the
flush trim method and that worked except I couldn't get to the ends because
the router didn't have enough room. So I finished up on each end with one
of those Japanese pull saws very carefully. It looked very nice and the
only thing I had to finish was the bottom of the cut. Then it wasn't
noticeable.

After I pushed in the new refrigetor no one could see my pains taking work
because the refrigerator sticks out 10" farther than the cabinet. I am 6-3
and I am the only one in our house that can see it when I stand up on my
toes.

no(SPAM)vasys

John wrote:

I've got to trim a quarter inch off of the top of a pine cabinet to make
room for a new refrigirator. The cabinet sits above the refrigorator. I've
got the cabinet section off, and before I have at it with my circular saw, I
thought I'd like to hear suggestions on how to make the cleanest cut. I'm
looking for a very straight line, with no chips on the edge of the cut. Just
to make it difficult, I can't find an exact match for the original stain so
it will be difficult to hide any cutting chips or splinters.

I was thinking of using my circular saw with a new blade (what to get?) and
clamp a long level to use as a fence, then pray!

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

-john

I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using the fence
as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large box.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Dave Jackson

(snip)I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using the
fence
as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large box.

How many guys do you think it would take to run a refrigerator over a table
saw? --dave

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
John wrote:

[...]

Patriarch

"Dave Jackson" wrote in
ink.net:

(snip)I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using
the fence
as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large
box.

How many guys do you think it would take to run a refrigerator over a
table saw? --dave

And would that justify an upgrade to a cabinet saw? ;-) - Patriarch

Mike

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:09:40 -0400, "no(SPAM)vasys"
wrote:

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using the fence
as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large box.

I'd use the table saw too. I might put a piece of 1/4" or something
under the finished front to protect it.

Mike O.
John

wrote:

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using the fence
as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large box.

I'd use the table saw too. I might put a piece of 1/4" or something
under the finished front to protect it.

Mike O.

My tablessaw is not that good anymore. I think I may try the router bit on
some scrap wood first, see how that goes.

Good suggestions from everyone. Thanks.

Phisherman

Probably a trim router (which I don't have...yet) and use two passes.
It has a smaller base and lightweight for maneuverability. Tack,
clamp, or use double-sided carpet tape a straightedge. I think a
circular saw would be a bit awkward to use, unless you have a small
one. If you tape along the "keep" side of the line, that will help
minimize splintering.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:30:24 -0400, "John" wrote:

I've got to trim a quarter inch off of the top of a pine cabinet to make
room for a new refrigirator. The cabinet sits above the refrigorator. I've
got the cabinet section off, and before I have at it with my circular saw, I
thought I'd like to hear suggestions on how to make the cleanest cut. I'm
looking for a very straight line, with no chips on the edge of the cut. Just
to make it difficult, I can't find an exact match for the original stain so
it will be difficult to hide any cutting chips or splinters.

I was thinking of using my circular saw with a new blade (what to get?) and
clamp a long level to use as a fence, then pray!

Any suggestions woule be most welcome.

-john

Charles Krug

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:48:57 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:
"Dave Jackson" wrote in
ink.net:

(snip)I'd take the doors off and run it through the table saw using
the fence
as the guide. It would be similar to cutting the top off a large
box.

How many guys do you think it would take to run a refrigerator over a
table saw? --dave

And would that justify an upgrade to a cabinet saw? ;-) - Patriarch

It's Tuesday in Italy. Time to upgrade to a cabinet saw.

I'm looking at the Powermatic with the 30" fence option. (right now
I can rip about 12", so 30 seems like a pipe dream.)

BillyBob

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
"BillyBob" writes:

... but since this planing would be on end grain it takes longer *and*
he risks breaking of large splinters at the end of the plate...

not a problem breaking things off if done properly. I find it hard to
believe the whole top of the cabinet would be all end grain ... strange
construction.

Bob

woodworker88

I would use a hand plane, but not just any plane. I would use a long
plane, a jointer or jack plane if you can find it. These planes are
usually about 12 inches long, and can be as long as 20 inches. This
would prevent a problem with the straightness of the line.