bob

Default update on gloat

A while back I posted that a neighbor gave me a fallen black walnut tree -
"come and get it". Well, I did. I was only able to harvest about 15 feet
of the trunk (diameter - 10" to 12") as the rest was downhill in a ravine
and we were unable to get it out.

Today, I took the 3 five foot long logs to a local sawyer. BTW, it is not
easy to find a sawyer! They are around, but most don't advertise. I found
this guy by word of mouth I called ahead and he said he'd do the work for
35 cents a board foot. I arrived this afternoon expecting to leave the logs
and get them another day. He said he'd cut them right now. Cool. He fired
up his Wood Mizer Hydraulic and got to work. Man, what a neat machine. He
spent over two hours on my logs and we ended up with 18 to 20 4/4 boards
five feet long and 4 to 8 inches wide. He figured out my bill - 72 BF at 35
cents. Total was $25. I told him I couldn't pay him that little for that
much work. He just said "I quoted you 35 cents, so that's what you owe me".
I gave him 2 twenties and insisted he keep the change. Probably should have
given him a bit more. So, 72BF for 40 bucks is roughly 50 cents a BF. Not
bad. I'll sticker the boards in the morning and put a little green wood end
sealer on them and in about a year, build something.

Mike W.

Wow. What a deal. I admire him for the price he quoted and for keeping his
word. I also admire you for realizing the deal you were getting and giving
'closer' to what it was worth. In any case, next year around this time I
bet we'll be seeing some nice Walnut project pics posted on abpw.

Definitely a continued gloat in my eyes.

Mike W.

"bob" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"bob" wrote in message

He fired up his Wood Mizer Hydraulic and got to work. Man, what a neat
machine. He spent over two hours on my logs and we ended up with 18 to 20
4/4 boards five feet long and 4 to 8 inches wide. He figured out my
bill - 72 BF at 35 cents. Total was $25. I told him I couldn't pay him
that little for that much work. He just said "I quoted you 35 cents, so
that's what you owe me".

Good deal all around. Now you have a good sawyer for future gloats.

Morris Dovey

bob wrote:

He figured out my bill - 72 BF at 35 cents. Total was $25. I
told him I couldn't pay him that little for that much work.
He just said "I quoted you 35 cents, so that's what you owe
me". I gave him 2 twenties and insisted he keep the change.
Probably should have given him a bit more.

Would you care to post his name (or business name) and phone
number? There might be a few volunteers with trees who'd like to
help you get even with him...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Joe Wells

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 03:57:29 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote:

bob wrote:

He figured out my bill - 72 BF at 35 cents. Total was $25. I told him
I couldn't pay him that little for that much work. He just said "I
quoted you 35 cents, so that's what you owe me". I gave him 2 twenties
and insisted he keep the change. Probably should have given him a bit
more.

Would you care to post his name (or business name) and phone number? There
might be a few volunteers with trees who'd like to help you get even with
him...

I don't know this sawyer, but you can always call WoodMizer directly and
they will give you info on sawyers in your area.

--
Joe Wells

Robatoy

In article ,
"bob" wrote:

[...]

Got to love a good gloat.

0¿0

Rob

Statistics say that 88% of all car accidents happen within a 7 mile
radius from home.

....... I'm moving.
Morris Dovey

bob wrote:

He figured out my bill - 72 BF at 35 cents. Total was
$25. I told him I couldn't pay him that little for that
much work. He just said "I quoted you 35 cents, so that's
what you owe me". I gave him 2 twenties and insisted he
keep the change. Probably should have given him a bit
more.

Would you care to post his name (or business name) and phone
number? There might be a few volunteers with trees who'd
like to help you get even with him...

I don't know this sawyer, but you can always call WoodMizer
directly and they will give you info on sawyers in your area.

Yes of course - on the other hand, the folks at WoodMizer may or
may not have a handle on which machine owners take the best care
of their customers.

rant
We're generally quick enough to finger those whose business
practices or product quality we don't like. Why not strive for a
bit of balance and do the same for those we do like?
/rant

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
Dave in Fairfax

bob wrote:

A while back I posted that a neighbor gave me a fallen black walnut tree -
"come and get it". Well, I did. I was only able to harvest about 15 feet
of the trunk (diameter - 10" to 12") as the rest was downhill in a ravine
and we were unable to get it out.

snip

Where are you, Bob. I'd bet one of us is nearby. A length of
rope and a pick-up truck should make more of that tree available
pretty quickly.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Patriarch

Dave in Fairfax wrote in
:

bob wrote:

A while back I posted that a neighbor gave me a fallen black walnut
tree - "come and get it". Well, I did. I was only able to harvest
about 15 feet of the trunk (diameter - 10" to 12") as the rest was
downhill in a ravine and we were unable to get it out.

snip

Where are you, Bob. I'd bet one of us is nearby. A length of
rope and a pick-up truck should make more of that tree available
pretty quickly.

Dave in Fairfax

And this time, maybe some turning blanks?
Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote:
And this time, maybe some turning blanks?

Absoflutely! God I love air dried or wet walnut for turning. Got
to be the most fun you can have with your pants on. The
iridescence and the colors, reminds me of a dark aurora borealis
or australis for our southern brethren. So, where's the wood? I
gots a truck, a chain, and a couple of saws.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

mac davis

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:11:46 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

A log chain and a 4WD pickup wouldn't budge it. We did dig four nice holes
in the yard, though.

maybe a friend with a tow truck or 4x4 with a winch?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Dave in Fairfax

bob wrote:
A log chain and a 4WD pickup wouldn't budge it. We did dig four nice holes
in the yard, though.

Birmingham, AL is a bit of a drive, Fairfax is up in VA. Maybe
trimming the branches and cutting the main trunk into shorter
lengths wouyld help get it out of the ditch. I just hate to see
good walnut go to waste.

Dave in Fairfax