Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Finished dining room table and chairs

Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for myself. Table is
44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish. Glass is 3/8"
smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun - got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Attached Thumbnails
Finished dining room table and chairs-001-jpg  Finished dining room table and chairs-003-jpg  Finished dining room table and chairs-010-jpg  Finished dining room table and chairs-014-jpg  Finished dining room table and chairs-015-jpg

Finished dining room table and chairs-017-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for
myself. Table is
44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish.
Glass is 3/8"
smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots
of fun - got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and
bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and
those who
don't

That is one fine table and chairs. Were they done from plans or
something you designed yourself? The finished product should last
forever; it seems very sturdy. Congratulations.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:
Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for myself.
Table is 44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish.
Glass is 3/8" smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun
- got to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and
bullnose planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

Wow, that is very nice. Interesting collection of parts starrting out. Did
you plant the acorn too?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction from this project for many years
and probably your grandchildren too, once then inherit it. .

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:

Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for myself. Table
is 44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish. Glass is
3/8" smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun -
got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

Very nice. I really like the chair design.

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you! My design - sort of a compilation of various things I've seen
that pleased my eye.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Vic Baron wrote:
Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for myself.
Table is 44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish.
Glass is 3/8" smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun
- got to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and
bullnose planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

Wow, that is very nice. Interesting collection of parts starrting out.
Did you plant the acorn too?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction from this project for many years
and probably your grandchildren too, once then inherit it. .

LOL! Nope, just found a good lumber yard in my area that has decent prices.

This was the first time I built something in multiples so I marked each
piece, including the loose tenons. What surprised me the most was that all
the chairs sit squarely on the floor. I didn't have to shim any of the legs.

Fun project.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Vic Baron wrote:

Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for myself. Table
is 44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish. Glass is
3/8" smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun -
got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

Very nice. I really like the chair design.

Rob Leatham

Thanks! I once had an old French Provincial style chair that had that same
curve in the back leg and I always liked it, so I incorporated that into the
design. Didn't want a solid back so I repeated the curve in the interior
pieces and liked the way it looked. Front legs are a simple 4 sided taper.
Got to use my bandsaw an spokeshaves a bunch!

Vic

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Vic Baron" wrote

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun -
got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Good job!

I love the curve(s) in the back. It makes the whole chair look elegant.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Vic Baron" wrote

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun -
got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Good job!

I love the curve(s) in the back. It makes the whole chair look elegant.

Thank you! That was my thought exactly when I designed it. I saw lots of
chairs with straight backs or ladder backs and they looked blocky to me - so
the curve. Had a French Provincial chair a while back that had a similar
curve in the back legs and I always liked it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/19/2009 10:59 AM, Vic Baron wrote:
This was the first time I built something in multiples so I marked each
piece, including the loose tenons. What surprised me the most was that
all the chairs sit squarely on the floor. I didn't have to shim any of
the legs.

Now that's some braggin' rights! Well done...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:56:58 -0800, the infamous "Vic Baron"
scrawled the following:

"Nonny" wrote in message

That is one fine table and chairs. Were they done from plans or something
you designed yourself? The finished product should last forever; it seems
very sturdy. Congratulations.

Thank you! My design - sort of a compilation of various things I've seen
that pleased my eye.

Yeah, nice work, Vic.

P.S: Just to get you thinking, I cringed when I saw the glass, though,
as I remembered several times that guests had slipped with the
casserole dish. Had our tabletop been glass, it dinner would have been
on the floor, covered in shards each time. Good luck with yours!

--
This episode raises disturbing questions about scientific standards,
at least in highly political areas such as global warming. Still,
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message

That is one fine table and chairs. Were they done from plans or
something
you designed yourself? The finished product should last forever; it
seems
very sturdy. Congratulations.

Thank you! My design - sort of a compilation of various things I've seen
that pleased my eye.

Yeah, nice work, Vic.

P.S: Just to get you thinking, I cringed when I saw the glass, though,
as I remembered several times that guests had slipped with the
casserole dish. Had our tabletop been glass, it dinner would have been
on the floor, covered in shards each time. Good luck with yours!

That thought crossed my mind at the time but that's why I went to 3/8 plate.
Although there are never any guarantees, it would take a pretty good shot to
shatter the plate.

I'll just have to avoid inviting any clumsy dinner guests.

Vic

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Vic Baron" wrote:

That thought crossed my mind at the time but that's why I went to
3/8 plate. Although there are never any guarantees, it would take a
pretty good shot to shatter the plate.

I'll just have to avoid inviting any clumsy dinner guests.

A piece of 1/2" laminated safety glass would resolve safety issues,
might want to consider 3/8", if it's available.

BTW, nice work.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/19/2009 1:41 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Vic Baron wrote:

Just finished - decided I needed a new table and chairs for myself. Table
is 44x60 made from 8/4 red oak with a mahogany urethane finish. Glass is
3/8" smoked plate.

Have never built a chair before - what an experience! And lots of fun -
got
to use lot of tools I normally don't, like a spokeshave and bullnose
planes.

All in all a rewarding, fun and learning experience.

Vic

Very nice. I really like the chair design.

Yes indeed; very nice work. Nothing is quite so satisfying as building a nice
chair, and getting to use spokeshaves is great fun. One of my favorite tools.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.