Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default Next project: Dining Table/Chairs?

My wife wants me to build her a dining table for the kitchen form cherry.
This will be the largest table I have had to make. She doesn't trust me
enough to make the chairs and she wants to buy them

I told her that I 'think' I can do it :|

I don't own a lathe for round spindles, but that's ok because we don't like
round spindle chairs.

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
....um...cheeks. How do 'most' people do it? What is 'most' common? I was
think of some kind of contoured jig that I could use to make sweeping router
passes.

Suggestions?

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
My wife wants me to build her a dining table for the kitchen form cherry.
This will be the largest table I have had to make. She doesn't trust me
enough to make the chairs and she wants to buy them

I told her that I 'think' I can do it :|

I don't own a lathe for round spindles, but that's ok because we don't
like round spindle chairs.

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
...um...cheeks. How do 'most' people do it? What is 'most' common? I
was think of some kind of contoured jig that I could use to make sweeping
router passes.

Suggestions?

Look here, You need an Inshave.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,130,43332

I have also seen it done with a jig and a router and you can also buy
preformed seats.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Look here, You need an Inshave.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,130,43332

I bet that would work nicely to clean-up with after routing using a jig.

I am guessing it would be difficult (for me) to stay consistent from chair
to chair using that alone.

Thank you. I might need to get one of those suckers!

I have also seen it done with a jig and a router and you can also buy
preformed seats.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message

Look here, You need an Inshave.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,130,43332

I bet that would work nicely to clean-up with after routing using a jig.

I am guessing it would be difficult (for me) to stay consistent from chair
to chair using that alone.

Thank you. I might need to get one of those suckers!

Better yet, maybe, a Spoon Bottomed Plane. With a plane you might be able
to control the depth and be more consistent.
Look at Steve's site.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/speciality.htm#spoon

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message

Look here, You need an Inshave.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,130,43332

I bet that would work nicely to clean-up with after routing using a jig.

I am guessing it would be difficult (for me) to stay consistent from
chair to chair using that alone.

Thank you. I might need to get one of those suckers!

Better yet, maybe, a Spoon Bottomed Plane. With a plane you might be able
to control the depth and be more consistent.
Look at Steve's site.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/speciality.htm#spoon

Very nice indeed! but ... o u c h ! ...

My wife would Spoon me in the Bottom when I told her it cost $115.00

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
My wife wants me to build her a dining table for the kitchen form cherry.
This will be the largest table I have had to make. She doesn't trust me
enough to make the chairs and she wants to buy them

I told her that I 'think' I can do it :|

I don't own a lathe for round spindles, but that's ok because we don't
like round spindle chairs.

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
...um...cheeks. How do 'most' people do it? What is 'most' common? I
was think of some kind of contoured jig that I could use to make sweeping
router passes.

Suggestions?

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Chairs don't HAVE to be formed to your buttcheeks... I have seen plenty og
flat bottomed chairs, or you could go the cushioned route.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
I don't own a lathe for round spindles, but that's ok because we don't
like round spindle chairs.

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
...um...cheeks. How do 'most' people do it? What is 'most' common? I
was think of some kind of contoured jig that I could use to make sweeping
router passes.

Suggestions?

Chairs don't HAVE to be formed to your buttcheeks... I have seen plenty og
flat bottomed chairs, or you could go the cushioned route.

There are also caned seats. Very comfortable.

__

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

stoutman wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
news
"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Look here, You need an Inshave.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,130,43332
I bet that would work nicely to clean-up with after routing using a jig.

I am guessing it would be difficult (for me) to stay consistent from
chair to chair using that alone.

Thank you. I might need to get one of those suckers!

Better yet, maybe, a Spoon Bottomed Plane. With a plane you might be able
to control the depth and be more consistent.
Look at Steve's site.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/speciality.htm#spoon

Very nice indeed! but ... o u c h ! ...

My wife would Spoon me in the Bottom when I told her it cost $115.00

What if you mentioned Morris Dovey's 3 axis CNC router first?
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"stoutman" wrote in message

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
...um...cheeks.

With chairs, done correctly, that may be the least of your concerns ...
right after you get all the compound angles right.

Not to mention that one of the most comfortable chairs in this house is
about 100 year old and has a flat, slat bottom:

www.e-woodshop.net/images/MysteryChair1.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

I think your biggest concern should be tight and strong joinery.

Disclaimer: I haven't hollowed chair seats before, but if it were me
getting started:

To use an inshave to hollow out, trace out the region to be hollowed,
and run one even pass through the whole region. Then trace another line
inside that region, like a contour line, and make another pass.

If you start with a region that's cut out of poster board, you can
duplicate it for all your chairs. If you get some practice so you know
about how far inside each region should be from the last, you could
make a series of poster board templates for each pass. The border of
the poster board could be the shape of a seat base, with the region cut
out of it. Just line up the edges and trace. Then for each chair and
for each pass, you know your region is properly positioned.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

stoutman wrote:

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
...um...cheeks. How do 'most' people do it? What is 'most' common?
I was think of some kind of contoured jig that I could use to make
sweeping router passes.

Suggestions?

If you want to do it with a router, you could make a jig - adjustable in
height - that suspends the router over the work and which will pivot.
One can be made easily from plywood. Pivot point needs to be adjustable
too as it determines the arc in which the router travels and the arc
determines the dish size.

Another router way would be a couple of pieces of ply with curved top
surfaces (mirror of desired dish), mount work under & between, track
router along curved surfaces. Problem is keeping the router vertical to
work (or at same angle pass to pass).

Never done either..... When I want to "dish" something I do it with my
radial saw...blade at angle to work/travel and just low enough for the
teeth to cut. The angle of the blade to work'travel determines the
width of the dish...maximum is with blade perpendicular to plane of
travel. Radial rather than table saw because one can see what one is
doing.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

If price were no objection I'd go with this, especially if you already have
an angle grinder (fits most brands).
http://www.arbortech.com.au/productinfo/indkit.html
I've used one cross-grain on hard maple and its easy to control and the cut
is very smooth.

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

That is cool.

You can get a perfectly functioning angle grinder for $14 from Harbor
Freight. $10 if it's on sale. So you'd still be under $100 for the
whole setup if you didn't already have the angle grinder.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael P. Hunter

If you don't custom fit the chair to the individual buttocks, you may be
missing the best part of chair making

"Locutus" wrote in message

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Michael P. Hunter" wrote in message
If you don't custom fit the chair to the individual buttocks, you may be
missing the best part of chair making

Unless that person weighs 400#'s.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:35:00 -0500, "Michael P. Hunter"
wrote:

If you don't custom fit the chair to the individual buttocks, you may be
missing the best part of chair making

I'd say that really depends upon for whom you are making the chair. Could
also be the worst part. "No, that's not necessary, I can just eyeball the
dimensions."

"Locutus" wrote in message

m...