Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Next project: Dining Table/Chairs?

stoutman wrote:

My biggest concern (and hers) is dishing out the seat contour for your
...um...cheeks. How do 'most' people do it? What is 'most' common?
I was think of some kind of contoured jig that I could use to make
sweeping router passes.

Suggestions?

If you want to do it with a router, you could make a jig - adjustable in
height - that suspends the router over the work and which will pivot.
One can be made easily from plywood. Pivot point needs to be adjustable
too as it determines the arc in which the router travels and the arc
determines the dish size.

Another router way would be a couple of pieces of ply with curved top
surfaces (mirror of desired dish), mount work under & between, track
router along curved surfaces. Problem is keeping the router vertical to
work (or at same angle pass to pass).

Never done either..... When I want to "dish" something I do it with my
radial saw...blade at angle to work/travel and just low enough for the
teeth to cut. The angle of the blade to work'travel determines the
width of the dish...maximum is with blade perpendicular to plane of
travel. Radial rather than table saw because one can see what one is
doing.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...