Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Repost Small Box, sorry for huge files.. - 2 attachments

Second try, small box pics first try I sent out some huge files.

Small box made from figured cherry. Its a Christmas gift for my sister-in-
law...hope you all like it..

Attached Thumbnails
Repost Small Box, sorry for huge files.. - 2 attachments-picture-012-jpg  Repost Small Box, sorry for huge files.. - 2 attachments-picture-013-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

David Haynie wrote:

Second try, small box pics first try I sent out some huge files.

Small box made from figured cherry. Its a Christmas gift for my sister-in-
law...hope you all like it..

Very nice. Very figured cherry, it's bootifull :-)

What did you use to finish?

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"DanG" wrote in message
Seeing a plane sitting on its iron makes me shudder, would have brought
down a mighty wrath from my dad when I was a kid.

Then how do you use "your" plane if you don't set it down on it's iron?? I
thought that was necessary. Whether it is working or resting should make no
difference.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Then how do you use "your" plane if you don't set it down on it's iron??
I thought that was necessary. Whether it is working or resting should
make no difference.

I too was always told to put a plane on its side. Resting won't hurt it, but
a few bangs around or put on a metal or stone surface can damage the edge.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:29:43 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"DanG" wrote in message
Seeing a plane sitting on its iron makes me shudder, would have brought
down a mighty wrath from my dad when I was a kid.

Then how do you use "your" plane if you don't set it down on it's iron?? I
thought that was necessary. Whether it is working or resting should make no
difference.

Silly Normite. Kicks are for Trids.

OK, for those of you still in Rio Linda, here's the uptime lowdown:

To use a hand plane, set the front portion of the sole on the
workpiece with the iron hanging down. As you move it forward, it will
engage the wood and remove some. As it comes off the other end, lift
it so the iron doesn't drag (much) on the piece during the return
stroke.

To avoid chipping a hand plane's iron, do not set it down on its iron.
Lay the plane on its side, instead. If you set it on its sole, the
iron is plopped onto whatever is on your bench (like a screw or little
stone which had been embedded in the board) or just the hard surface.
Believe me, a plane iron (anything sharp, really) attracts and and all
harder-than-itself objects to itself. These can also scar their soles.
DAMHIKT.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote in
m:

David Haynie wrote:

Second try, small box pics first try I sent out some huge files.

Small box made from figured cherry. Its a Christmas gift for my
sister-in- law...hope you all like it..

Very nice. Very figured cherry, it's bootifull :-)

What did you use to finish?

its simple boiled linseed oil and wax......I wetsand it with a progression
grits to 800 or 1000 takes a few evenings but it turns out nice and is
really hard to screwup!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Love the old Douglas fir bench.. and of course your box.. Nice job
matching grain on the corner.. What a nice piece of cherry to work with..!
Gosh you have to finish the inside too though.. I've taken a liking to
finishing insides with 1 lb cut of shellac. Doesn't leave a residual smell
like many other finishes do.. Looks like someone is going to get a very
special Christmas present..

"David Haynie" wrote in message
. 207.166...
Second try, small box pics first try I sent out some huge files.

Small box made from figured cherry. Its a Christmas gift for my sister-in-
law...hope you all like it..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in
:

That sweet Clifton plane by the way doesn't go unnoticed. I've never
gotten my hands on one, but they sure look beautiful and well made in
pictures.

it is a wonderful plane, truly a joy to use....but I confess you can make a
wooden smoother that ( after the learning curve ) performs as well as any
high end smoothing plane...

I also caught a lot of heck for posting a picture of the plane sole down on
the bench....it was kinda funny....