Artemia Salina

Default 10K vs 10L Taper Attachments

Anyone know if taper attachments for South Bend 10K and 10L
lathes are interchangeable? I have a line on a taper attachment
for a 10" SB but can't determine if it's for a Light 10 or a
Heavy 10. What are the differences, if any?

TIA

Asp3211968

the one for the 10k i believe is telescopic. i do not believe they are
interchangeable
Steve Lusardi

I have a 10L and it is not differential. Never seen one on a K. The L needs
an extended cross feed casting. The lead screw is inoperable when the
attachment is in use. All feeds are taken by the compound. It is a PIA, but
it works well. My other lathes have differential taper attachments and they
are much nicer to use.
Steve
"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
Anyone know if taper attachments for South Bend 10K and 10L
lathes are interchangeable? I have a line on a taper attachment
for a 10" SB but can't determine if it's for a Light 10 or a
Heavy 10. What are the differences, if any?

TIA

Dave Ficken

Artemia Salina wrote in message m...
Anyone know if taper attachments for South Bend 10K and 10L
lathes are interchangeable? I have a line on a taper attachment
for a 10" SB but can't determine if it's for a Light 10 or a
Heavy 10. What are the differences, if any?

TIA

AAARRRGGG, Google wiped out the detailed, lengthy answer I just typed
before I could copy it.

The short answer is they are absolutely not interchangeable. Machines
are dimensionally different and there is no interchange to speak of.
10K taper attach. will have a solid one piece cross slide with long
oval slot that is unique to the taper attachment (You must replace
existing cross slide.)
10L has a bolt on piece with long oval slot. It bolts to the existing
cross slide in place of the chip guard that is normally there.
10L has telescoping cross feed screw, 10K does not.
10K uses special cross feed nut (no shoulder that fits into the cross
slide) One removes the screw that holds the X-feed nut in order to use
the taper.

Regards,
Dave Ficken
Meridian Machinery
http://www.mermac.com
Mark Jerde

Dave Ficken wrote:

AAARRRGGG, Google wiped out the detailed, lengthy answer I just typed
before I could copy it.

Here's a free program that really helps. It saves the last umpty-ump items
placed in the clipboard. So if you CtrlA CtrlC (select all, copy) every
so often, you'll never lose all the text again.

No relationship, blah blah. Just a satisfied user. I hunted it down after
a technical support web page ERASED all my entries because one of them was
wrong.

http://www.yankee-clipper.net/index.htm

-- Mark

Anonymous

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 06:30:08 -0800, Dave Ficken wrote:

Artemia Salina wrote in message m...
Anyone know if taper attachments for South Bend 10K and 10L
lathes are interchangeable?

AAARRRGGG, Google wiped out the detailed, lengthy answer I just typed
before I could copy it.

Thanks for the description Dave. It's definitely the one I'm looking for.

(Pardon the anon posting, if this was indeed posted anonymously.
There's some sort of problem with my news service that is making all
of my posts anonymous.)

Artemia