Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Repost Small Box, sorry for huge files.. - 2 attachments

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:29:43 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"DanG" wrote in message
Seeing a plane sitting on its iron makes me shudder, would have brought
down a mighty wrath from my dad when I was a kid.

Then how do you use "your" plane if you don't set it down on it's iron?? I
thought that was necessary. Whether it is working or resting should make no
difference.

Silly Normite. Kicks are for Trids.

OK, for those of you still in Rio Linda, here's the uptime lowdown:

To use a hand plane, set the front portion of the sole on the
workpiece with the iron hanging down. As you move it forward, it will
engage the wood and remove some. As it comes off the other end, lift
it so the iron doesn't drag (much) on the piece during the return
stroke.

To avoid chipping a hand plane's iron, do not set it down on its iron.
Lay the plane on its side, instead. If you set it on its sole, the
iron is plopped onto whatever is on your bench (like a screw or little
stone which had been embedded in the board) or just the hard surface.
Believe me, a plane iron (anything sharp, really) attracts and and all
harder-than-itself objects to itself. These can also scar their soles.
DAMHIKT.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.