Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Tailstock Pivot

I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

Attached Thumbnails
Tailstock Pivot-imgp0335-jpg  Tailstock Pivot-imgp0309-jpg  Tailstock Pivot-imgp0322-jpg  Tailstock Pivot-imgp0329-jpg  Tailstock Pivot-imgp0330-jpg

Tailstock Pivot-imgp0332-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Dick Mahany wrote:
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

FRAKING BRILLIANT
(another idea stashed away in the brain for future reference)

--
Kevin

lindo745 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

CAn I ask what the purpose of this device is for? Sorry for such a dumb
question, but I am interested. I have a jet lathe and have not used it
lately....
Lots of dust and debris to contend with......
I do not have a good vacuum system.
anyway, am curious about the use and application of this device.
Thanks,
jloomis
"Dick Mahany" wrote in message
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:47:34 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

CAn I ask what the purpose of this device is for? Sorry for such a dumb
question, but I am interested. I have a jet lathe and have not used it
lately....
Lots of dust and debris to contend with......
I do not have a good vacuum system.
anyway, am curious about the use and application of this device.
Thanks,
jloomis
"Dick Mahany" wrote in message
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

Well, this one looks sort of multi-purpose, but usually it's to allow you to get
the tailstock out of your way (and your elbow's way) without removing and
re-installing it..
I built one years ago the was hinged and it worked pretty well..

On larger lathes, it's easier to just swivel the headstock for access.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

When turning bowls or doing faceplate work, it is often convenient, or
neccessary to move the live center on the tail stock out of the way to the
far right side of the bed. That sharp little point on the live center is
often just at elbow height and can be quite painful if I'm not watching
where my right arm is (often). Other times, it's just nice to have the tail
stock completely out of the way. This pivot allows a very quick means to
move the tailstock on and off the bed without having to physically lift it
on or off.

Dick

"jloomis" wrote in message
CAn I ask what the purpose of this device is for? Sorry for such a dumb
question, but I am interested. I have a jet lathe and have not used it
lately....
Lots of dust and debris to contend with......
I do not have a good vacuum system.
anyway, am curious about the use and application of this device.
Thanks,
jloomis
"Dick Mahany" wrote in message
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dick Mahany" wrote in message
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

Looks nice and obviously fulfills its intended purpose. Remember the the
amateur welder's motto, you can improve the appearance of any weld by
painting it!

Is that an official Jet paint color? Or just a real good match?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Dick Mahany" wrote in message
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

Looks nice and obviously fulfills its intended purpose. Remember the the
amateur welder's motto, you can improve the appearance of any weld by
painting it!

Is that an official Jet paint color? Or just a real good match?

I couldn't find a close match among the commercially available spray paints.
Since I had a few other Jet tools taht needed touch up, I ordered the paint
from Jet and painted the tailstock pivot too. Hmmm, maybe some black and
red stripes would make it work better.

Dick

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Interesting. Is the bolt tightened from the outside, or is there maybe an
inboard locking lever? Is there some kind of indexing mechanism to ensure
the extensions are perfectly parallel to the ways? If not, is it difficult
to get them parallel by hand/eye?

B.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message
Interesting. Is the bolt tightened from the outside, or is there maybe an
inboard locking lever? Is there some kind of indexing mechanism to ensure
the extensions are perfectly parallel to the ways? If not, is it difficult
to get them parallel by hand/eye?

B.

"Dick Mahany" wrote in message
I really like the Robust tailstock Tilt-Away idea and decided to try and
make one for my Jet 1642 lathe. I wish I had done this long ago.
Completely eliminates what Bill Grumbine calls "turner's elbow" ! (I just
hope my amateur welding holds up). Thanks to Robust for the great idea.

The pivot bolt is a 3/4" dia shoulder bolt that is screwed into a flange nut
that is welded to a square mounting plate. The shoulder bolt holds two
flanged bearings that pilot on the ID of the center tube. It is tightened
form the outside with a large allen wrench. The pivot is free to rotate and
is held in position simply by gravity. I thought of making some kind of
locking mechanism, but didn't seem to need it once I got it in position.

To level the two sets of ways, I simply have a pair of 5/16 bolts that are
threaded through square nuts that are captured inside each end of a piece
of 3/4 square tubing. The tubing is fastened to the leg casting below the
pivot with hex screws. The bolts allow for rotational fine tuning of each
of the ways and are locked with a simple jam nut. They contact the side of
the C-channel that the ways are welded to, and make up for the lack of
angular precision (none) between the two sets of ways. I don't need any
other adjustments because I tack-welded the assembly with the ways
pre-aligned on the lathe and then finished the welding after removal. In
all, I tried to keep it simple and it seems to work quite nicely.

This pivot works great for the tailstock and other things like the banjo or
a bowl steady, but unlike the Robust Lathe version, I would never think of
sliding the headstock onto it.

Dick