Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Sketchup - Mission Sideboard - Casework

Without all the dovetails on the case corners, but this is basically how the
one on the website went together, except with Sketchup I need to buy a
better grade plywood.

(the real casework secondary wood was poplar)

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

(the skp (incomplete) is attached for anyone wanting to join the fun ..
enjoy!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Attached Thumbnails
Sketchup - Mission Sideboard - Casework-mission-sideboard-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Without all the dovetails on the case corners, but this is basically how
the one on the website went together, except with Sketchup I need to buy a
better grade plywood.

(the real casework secondary wood was poplar)

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

(the skp (incomplete) is attached for anyone wanting to join the fun ..
enjoy!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Very cool! I see that you are using the shadows options also. This is
going to be a very handy tool. I kinda like the x-ray view also as it lets
you see how crowded some areas may be if you need to get in there to put in
screws.
Are you still using the wood grain samples that came with the program or
have you found more?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

I'm just using the stuff that came with Sketchup/experimenting with the
different options available to add a touch more realism into the experience
of viewing a rendered jpg.

I was thinking about getting out the digital camera and taking some pictures
of finished QSWO and see how that works.

I did find this site, but haven't done anything but peruse it as yet:

http://www.defcon-x.de/textures

-
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'm just using the stuff that came with Sketchup/experimenting with the
different options available to add a touch more realism into the
experience
of viewing a rendered jpg.

I was thinking about getting out the digital camera and taking some
pictures
of finished QSWO and see how that works.

That would be handy. I also "thought" that I read some where that you could
import a picture and the program would "perhaps" draw some lines on it so
that you may not have to start from scratch on a drawing? See any thing
like this or did I just dream that up? ;~)

I did find this site, but haven't done anything but peruse it as yet:

http://www.defcon-x.de/textures

Looks promising.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

That would be handy. I also "thought" that I read some where that you

could
import a picture and the program would "perhaps" draw some lines on it so
that you may not have to start from scratch on a drawing? See any thing
like this or did I just dream that up? ;~)

I saw it somewhere too ... they used one of the tools to superimpose the
picture of a building onto the 3D model of same. I can't recall where I saw
it.

Might have been a youtube.

Timewise, I'm getting the feeling that that there is almost too much you can
do with the damn program.

Time to make some sawdust instead of bits and bytes.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't have a
handle on the door pulls (NPI).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Attached Thumbnails
Sketchup - Mission Sideboard - Casework-mission-sideboard-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Attached Thumbnails
Sketchup - Mission Sideboard - Casework-mission-sideboardxray-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't have a
handle on the door pulls (NPI).

It'd be a little more "missiony" with the arch on the bottom front rail
like the sides IMO. Also, the back splash needs "something", but I'm
not sure what.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't have
a handle on the door pulls (NPI).

Lee Valley? Woodworkers Hardware?

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't

have a
handle on the door pulls (NPI).

It'd be a little more "missiony" with the arch on the bottom front rail
like the sides IMO. Also, the back splash needs "something", but I'm
not sure what.

Too late on the design issues, Doug ... the real thing's done been did!

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects13.htm

(it was a prototype, but put to use after the fact, to test a different
method of case construction to prevent often noticed sagging on these extra
wide styles)

But! ... your honest design suggestions above, given without knowledge of
the intent of the drawings, indeed proved a valuable point, and actually
verified/got to the very root of the purpose of the exercise!

So a big thank you for that!

The goal in learning Sketchup for me is to be able to render a realistic, 3D
representation of my woodworking designs so that I can get an idea of the
way a change in "viewing perspective" can effect the way a piece looks in
actual use.

I've been disappointed in some of the furniture I've designed because when I
finally take it off the shop assembly table, and put it onto the floor, or
view it in actual use from "eye level", changes the look of the piece.

Good designers seem to have an innate ability to take this change in
"viewing perspective" into account without even thinking about it ... a
talent I obviously lack, thus the push to learn 3D modeling, and in
particular Sketchup.

I think most will agree that my 3D model looks pretty much like the real
thing, and the fact I could have changed a few things had I had the 3D
modeling expertise prior to building the piece is reinforced by your
comments above!

That is EXACTLY what I'm after!

And, as has been mentioned in these Sketchup learning discussions with
regard to woodworking models, it helps to practice/learn Sketchup on a piece
you've already built ... the sole reason for this little exercise.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't

have
a handle on the door pulls (NPI).

Lee Valley? Woodworkers Hardware?

Rockler ... the " mission" door pulls proved much harder to incorporate into
a drawing at my current level of expertise. I'm still working on it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't

have
a handle on the door pulls (NPI).

Lee Valley? Woodworkers Hardware?

Rockler ... the " mission" door pulls proved much harder to incorporate
into
a drawing at my current level of expertise. I'm still working on it.

I know that a few manufacturers do this already. But it would be real nice
if Rockler and other purveyors of cabinet hardware, etc. would provide CAD
components to their customers. Afterall, CAD drawing and prototyping is used
much more every year. Maybe somebody who knows somebody could drop these
folks a hint.

At least Rob Lee would respond to the question.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't

have
a handle on the door pulls (NPI).

Lee Valley? Woodworkers Hardware?

Rockler ... the " mission" door pulls proved much harder to incorporate
into
a drawing at my current level of expertise. I'm still working on it.

Oh-h-h-h-h-h-h; you were talking about the drawing! Just like me to miss a
minor detail like that.

DiH

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

"Swingman" wrote in message

I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't

have
a handle on the door pulls (NPI).

Lee Valley? Woodworkers Hardware?

Rockler ... the " mission" door pulls proved much harder to incorporate
into
a drawing at my current level of expertise. I'm still working on it.

I know that a few manufacturers do this already. But it would be real
nice if Rockler and other purveyors of cabinet hardware, etc. would
provide CAD components to their customers. Afterall, CAD drawing and
prototyping is used
much more every year. Maybe somebody who knows somebody could drop these
folks a hint.

At least Rob Lee would respond to the question.

I think a major issue would be the flavor of CAD in which to offer the
drawings. I use VariCAD and can import DXF and IGES files, but have
problems with 3D in one of those flavors (not remembering which one). I'm
sure other packages have similar issues but probably not with the same
flavors. Further exacerbating the problem is the CAD revision, if the
revision is too new, in many packages, even the version one less than the
current version will be unable to read the new one -- many people don't
automatically upgrade due to cost.

It's a good idea, I just can see why this could be a problem for someone
trying to offer the service.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Looks like a good package. Since it doesn't run under Linux, I won't be
able to use it, but have been equivalently impressed with VariCAD vs.
TurboCAD. I can create a model much more quickly with VariCAD than I could
with TurboCAD. It may just be me and a different approach to using the
package, but it seems to go together much more quickly and intuitively.
Then, generating a 2D dimensioned drawing package is very straightforward.

I certainly agree with your vision of perspective statement. Being able
to render and rotate a 3D model is a real help in making design decisions.
Rendering is really neat when one can do so in a rendering of the setting
that the piece will be in and viewed from the height a person will see it.
I found that Blender works pretty well for this and it's free.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Looks like a good package. Since it doesn't run under Linux, I won't be
able to use it,

snip

I'm using it under win2K under vmware-server under linux. Works great.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Looks like a good package. Since it doesn't run under Linux, I won't
be
able to use it,

snip

I'm using it under win2K under vmware-server under linux. Works great.

Alas, that would require an OS disk to load win2k. My machine did not
come with an OS disk (it's legal, but part of the deal with the
machine). ... and I'm not about to send Bill G any money; that would
defeat the whole purpose of converting.