Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup - Mission Sideboard - Casework

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
I'll put the doors on later, but the corbels ...

The corbels were easy ... it's the hardware that's tough! Still don't

have a
handle on the door pulls (NPI).

It'd be a little more "missiony" with the arch on the bottom front rail
like the sides IMO. Also, the back splash needs "something", but I'm
not sure what.

Too late on the design issues, Doug ... the real thing's done been did!

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects13.htm

(it was a prototype, but put to use after the fact, to test a different
method of case construction to prevent often noticed sagging on these extra
wide styles)

But! ... your honest design suggestions above, given without knowledge of
the intent of the drawings, indeed proved a valuable point, and actually
verified/got to the very root of the purpose of the exercise!

So a big thank you for that!

The goal in learning Sketchup for me is to be able to render a realistic, 3D
representation of my woodworking designs so that I can get an idea of the
way a change in "viewing perspective" can effect the way a piece looks in
actual use.

I've been disappointed in some of the furniture I've designed because when I
finally take it off the shop assembly table, and put it onto the floor, or
view it in actual use from "eye level", changes the look of the piece.

Good designers seem to have an innate ability to take this change in
"viewing perspective" into account without even thinking about it ... a
talent I obviously lack, thus the push to learn 3D modeling, and in
particular Sketchup.

I think most will agree that my 3D model looks pretty much like the real
thing, and the fact I could have changed a few things had I had the 3D
modeling expertise prior to building the piece is reinforced by your
comments above!

That is EXACTLY what I'm after!

And, as has been mentioned in these Sketchup learning discussions with
regard to woodworking models, it helps to practice/learn Sketchup on a piece
you've already built ... the sole reason for this little exercise.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08