Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Sketchup - Basic table

Another newbie 3D modeling attempt with Sketchup, a bit more complex than
the owl nesting box, done on the laptop while sitting in the recliner
"watching TV" with SWMBO last night.

Based on floating tenon joinery (you can see the mortises in xray/wireframe
View) and, using Sketchup, the attached file can be easily modified for
curved aprons, beading, adding a drawer, etc.

I've built dozens of variations on this table through the years and just
wanted to see how easy it would be to *build* one in Sketchup (the taper on
the inside legs, and adding mortises, were a good exercises in
using/learning the program). Great for woodworkers is that once you gain
some understanding of the programs edge and surface concepts, the
methodology is precisely like building a project in the shop.

After these two basic experiments I now have a MUCH greater appreciation as
to why so many woodworkers are going gaga over this program! All the very
basic techniques used to *build* this table are in the first few videos at
this handy Sketchup resource on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_...=SketchUpVideo

While these are indeed very basic designs, and there is a lot more to learn,
the ease of which a relative newbie could do this drawing, and the
"perspective" visual benefits (which have always given me trouble when
designing my own pieces) of "3D rotation", has me about convinced to say
goodbye to my 2D CAD programs of the past.

The skp file is included for anyone interested in tweaking without having to
re-invent the wheel. (All parts are "components", just like in the shop)

Sorry ... there's no radii to cavil about!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Attached Thumbnails
Sketchup - Basic table-kactable1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
After these two basic experiments I now have a MUCH greater appreciation

as
to why so many woodworkers are going gaga over this program! All the very
basic techniques used to *build* this table are in the first few videos
at
this handy Sketchup resource on youtube:

Not to criticise your sketch Swingman, but I see that this table rendition
shows a few jagged lines due to the resolution of the image. In Sketchup,
could the resolution be increased if one wanted to print (or post) an
image
in finer, more exact detail?

Probably, but I'm still a newbie using the free program, so I can't really
answer your question with any authority. Here is a closer, zoomed in
rendering that shows a bit more detail on my monitor. See if this at least
addresses some of the issue.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Attached Thumbnails
Sketchup - Basic table-kactable2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote

Not to criticise your sketch Swingman, but I see that this table rendition
shows a few jagged lines due to the resolution of the image. In Sketchup,
could the resolution be increased if one wanted to print (or post) an

image
in finer, more exact detail?

On that same "detail" note, this weekend for Father's day I pulled a joke on
my Dad by showing him the owl nesting box on my laptop screen; then, using
the zoom tool to zoom though the round opening into the bottom interior of
the box, I then used the "walking" tool to walk around the interior to the
opposite corner where I had placed a model of a couch.

Got a good laugh out of him ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Upscale" wrote

Not to criticise your sketch Swingman, but I see that this table
rendition
shows a few jagged lines due to the resolution of the image. In Sketchup,
could the resolution be increased if one wanted to print (or post) an

image
in finer, more exact detail?

On that same "detail" note, this weekend for Father's day I pulled a joke
on
my Dad by showing him the owl nesting box on my laptop screen; then, using
the zoom tool to zoom though the round opening into the bottom interior of
the box, I then used the "walking" tool to walk around the interior to the
opposite corner where I had placed a model of a couch.

Got a good laugh out of him ...

THEN you shoulda put one of the owl boxes near your printer and pressed the
print button. ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Earl Creel" wrote in message
Swingman I think you should have built your table out of flat sawn red

oak.
See attached.

Hehe ... way to go! Ya got any quarter sawn white oak in your stash?

Actually, I've been thinking about taking the camera out and rolling my own
textures to go in Sketchup.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

No quarter sawn white oak but wish I did. The next time you get that big
Sony TV off the Green Design Console you should take a good picture of that
cherry top. That will make a good image to add to your collection of wood
textures. I am no expert on this but I think you should get your Console in
best light possible, shoot the picture as perpendicular to the top as you
can, crank up the resolution on your camera a bit, and don't get too close.
Edit the jpg image (crop) so that you have nothing but the top in your final
image. With good image files it is possible to make your model look almost
as good as a picture of the finished piece. If you get resolution too high
and you use several different textures on your model it increases the size
of your model file.
Earl Creel
"Swingman" wrote in message

"Earl Creel" wrote in message
Swingman I think you should have built your table out of flat sawn red

oak.
See attached.

Hehe ... way to go! Ya got any quarter sawn white oak in your stash?

Actually, I've been thinking about taking the camera out and rolling my
own
textures to go in Sketchup.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Earl Creel" wrote in message
No quarter sawn white oak but wish I did. The next time you get that big
Sony TV off the Green Design Console you should take a good picture of

that
cherry top.

You got me mixed up with Brian ... an honor in any event!

That will make a good image to add to your collection of wood
textures. I am no expert on this but I think you should get your Console

in
best light possible, shoot the picture as perpendicular to the top as you
can, crank up the resolution on your camera a bit, and don't get too

close.
Edit the jpg image (crop) so that you have nothing but the top in your

final
image. With good image files it is possible to make your model look

almost
as good as a picture of the finished piece. If you get resolution too

high
and you use several different textures on your model it increases the size
of your model file.

I'll give it a try ... on QSWO.

Thanks,

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

OT? SketchUp Videos Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 7 March 9th 08 09:48 PM
suggest basic func/signal generator for basic scope test/setup ? robb Home Repair 9 October 6th 07 07:10 PM
Google Sketchup? BlueJohn UK diy 7 September 2nd 06 11:11 PM
basic - I mean basic washing machine repair stevie Home Repair 2 January 31st 06 01:37 AM