Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup - Basic table

Another newbie 3D modeling attempt with Sketchup, a bit more complex than
the owl nesting box, done on the laptop while sitting in the recliner
"watching TV" with SWMBO last night.

Based on floating tenon joinery (you can see the mortises in xray/wireframe
View) and, using Sketchup, the attached file can be easily modified for
curved aprons, beading, adding a drawer, etc.

I've built dozens of variations on this table through the years and just
wanted to see how easy it would be to *build* one in Sketchup (the taper on
the inside legs, and adding mortises, were a good exercises in
using/learning the program). Great for woodworkers is that once you gain
some understanding of the programs edge and surface concepts, the
methodology is precisely like building a project in the shop.

After these two basic experiments I now have a MUCH greater appreciation as
to why so many woodworkers are going gaga over this program! All the very
basic techniques used to *build* this table are in the first few videos at
this handy Sketchup resource on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_...=SketchUpVideo

While these are indeed very basic designs, and there is a lot more to learn,
the ease of which a relative newbie could do this drawing, and the
"perspective" visual benefits (which have always given me trouble when
designing my own pieces) of "3D rotation", has me about convinced to say
goodbye to my 2D CAD programs of the past.

The skp file is included for anyone interested in tweaking without having to
re-invent the wheel. (All parts are "components", just like in the shop)

Sorry ... there's no radii to cavil about!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Attached Thumbnails