Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default For Kate - relief carving in cherry - IMG_5164b.jpg

This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails
For Kate - relief carving in cherry - IMG_5164b.jpg-img_5164b-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bill wrote:
This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.

Nice!

I like the little detail of the leaves falling out of the frame on the
lower left.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.

Bill

All I can say is WOW
I love it. Funny, 30 years ago I was collecting Unicorns and you were
carving them.
The detail is excellent. I am particularly entranced by the unicorn's mane
and tail and the trees. It must have been quite a challenge to get the
textures even and aligned so that the parts became pieces of the whole and
flowed together.
Thank you for posting it.... It's just beautiful.

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:04:21 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

Bill wrote:
This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.

Nice!

I like the little detail of the leaves falling out of the frame on the
lower left.

Thanks! The leaf was actually an afterthought. Everything was going
to stop at the cut line, but when I started carving the leaves, I
"saw" the leaf projecting past the line, so I found a piece of scrap
and glued it on for the decending leaf. So technically, it's from 3
pieces of wood.

Bill
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:39:52 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.

Bill

All I can say is WOW
I love it. Funny, 30 years ago I was collecting Unicorns and you were
carving them.
The detail is excellent. I am particularly entranced by the unicorn's mane
and tail and the trees. It must have been quite a challenge to get the
textures even and aligned so that the parts became pieces of the whole and
flowed together.
Thank you for posting it.... It's just beautiful.

Kate

Thank you for the kind words. I've always been a sci-fi and fantasy
fan, so I had to carve a couple of unicorns. The pattern for this one
came from a Children's HighLife magazine in my dentist's office. It
was a "find the hidden pictures" page and when I saw it, I knew that
it was meant to be a carving.

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:39:52 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

So what pictures are hidden in the carving?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I used to read Highlights magazine when I was little, then subscribed to it
for my daughter. It was a great little book!
Hmmm.. wonder if they make it for little guys like my grandson. I'll have to
have a look.

Thanks for sharing it Bill.

Have you ever read the Piers Anthony Xanth series?

Kate

"Bill" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:39:52 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in
:

Have you ever read the Piers Anthony Xanth series?

He should have been "pun"ished for writing that stuff. Loved it!
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:22:26 -0400, "Tom S"
wrote:

So what pictures are hidden in the carving?

Tool them out. I didn't want tot get TOO ambitious g.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:55:27 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

I used to read Highlights magazine when I was little, then subscribed to it
for my daughter. It was a great little book!
Hmmm.. wonder if they make it for little guys like my grandson. I'll have to
have a look.

Thanks for sharing it Bill.

Have you ever read the Piers Anthony Xanth series?

Kate

Yep, I think I have about 20 of them. I haven't been keeping up
lately, so I may have missed some. I have somewhere between 1 and
2000 sci/fantasy books on my shelf which I re-visit ocassionally

I wonder if the other poster (Smaug Ichorfang) might not read just a
little fantasy also. Possibly have a small affinity for dragons.

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

I wonder if the other poster (Smaug Ichorfang) might not read just a
little fantasy also. Possibly have a small affinity for dragons.

A little fantasy. Mostly science fiction. Probably 1500-2000 paperback
books now. Need more bookcases. Dragons? Well, there are dragons, and
there are dragons. The dragon in "The Hobbit" is different from the dragon
in "Chess with a Dragon" by David Gerrols, or the one in "Mad Amos" by Alan
Dean Foster, and both are different fron the dragons in Terry Prachett's
"Diskworld" series.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.
Bill

Very nice work Bill. I especially like the texture on the unicorn. It
somehow makes it seem (feel) more alive.

I wish I had such talents. I have given a thought or two to try
carving over the years, but never got there. But then again, since I
love boxes so much, not sure I'd ever be able to part with them if I
started carving them like you and Kate.

Btw... I'm also a HUGE Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan. I gave up counting my books
and have long ago given many away to friends and family who now read
the genres. I still probably have several thousand and more now in
digital. It's easier to pocket the digital than the paperbacks... lol.

One of my all-time favorites is Little Fuzzy by H.Beam Piper. Shame
about the man, but the series is quite wonderful imho. I also loved
Paul French's (a.k.a. Asimov) David Starr Space Ranger. Now I read
more dragon series that straight Sci-Fi, but some oldies still remain
dear to my heart, especially from childhood.

`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
"Kate" wrote in
:

Have you ever read the Piers Anthony Xanth series?

He should have been "pun"ished for writing that stuff. Loved it!

LOL.... ayuup!
K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
Bill wrote in
:

I wonder if the other poster (Smaug Ichorfang) might not read just a
little fantasy also. Possibly have a small affinity for dragons.

A little fantasy. Mostly science fiction. Probably 1500-2000 paperback
books now. Need more bookcases. Dragons? Well, there are dragons, and
there are dragons. The dragon in "The Hobbit" is different from the dragon
in "Chess with a Dragon" by David Gerrols, or the one in "Mad Amos" by Alan
Dean Foster, and both are different fron the dragons in Terry Prachett's
"Diskworld" series.

How about the Dragon riders of Pern. Now THOSE were cool dragons!
Hmm... wonder how one would look on a box.

K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't it wonderful how so many of us share so many common interests.
I've been a fantasy fan for a long time. A book that you might enjoy id
Robert Lynn Asprin's - oh crud, I forgot the title... let me google it right
quick.
Phew! Got it!
"Myth Adventures" fabulously funny and fun.

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:31:15 GMT, Casper wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the compliment. DO NOT be afraid to try carving. I
resisted a neighbors urings for a year and a half. The unicorn
carving was done about 3-1/2 years later. As Kate can attest, you
don't need very expensive tools to give it a try with, you only start
craving the more expensive toys later.

As for selling, I've only sold and given away a few pieces over the
years. The rest are scattered on various shelves, walls and furniture
throughout the house.

Thanks for reminding me of the Fuzzy series. I read them some time
ago and still have them on my shelves (along with about 1500 other
books). It's about time to read them again.

Bill
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kate" wrote in
:

How about the Dragon riders of Pern. Now THOSE were cool dragons!
Hmm... wonder how one would look on a box.

Forgot about them. Recently tried to get the series for my nieces (all of
them love science fiction/fantasy too). Only found a couple of them,
They've been out-of-print too long. Got all of Asprin's stuff too. I like
the "Phule" books better than the "Myth" books. Also have the "Thieve's
World" and "Time Scout" series.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

`Casper

Isn't it wonderful how so many of us share so many common interests.
I've been a fantasy fan for a long time. A book that you might enjoy id
Robert Lynn Asprin's - oh crud, I forgot the title... let me google it right
quick.
Phew! Got it!
"Myth Adventures" fabulously funny and fun.

Kate

Yes, very true! I've seen you in the jeep group as well.

I could never get into the Myth Adventure series, although my husband
likes them. Have you read Steven Brust? His Vlad Taltos series is
interesting. If you like dragons, there is of course Eragon. Also
there is a nice non-magic dragon series by Chris Bunch that starts
with the Dragonmaster. More of a rea "how-to" fly dragons.

`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sounds like interesting reading. ONE of these days, I may even have time to
start reading again.

I have a book (Jimmy Buffet - A Salty Piece of Land) by my bathtub that I
have been reading for at least a year and I'm only about halfway through it.
Just no time these days. Maybe when my grandson gets into school next year
or if my daughter goes out on her own.

Kate

"Casper" wrote in message
`Casper

Isn't it wonderful how so many of us share so many common interests.
I've been a fantasy fan for a long time. A book that you might enjoy id
Robert Lynn Asprin's - oh crud, I forgot the title... let me google it
right
quick.
Phew! Got it!
"Myth Adventures" fabulously funny and fun.

Kate

Yes, very true! I've seen you in the jeep group as well.

I could never get into the Myth Adventure series, although my husband
likes them. Have you read Steven Brust? His Vlad Taltos series is
interesting. If you like dragons, there is of course Eragon. Also
there is a nice non-magic dragon series by Chris Bunch that starts
with the Dragonmaster. More of a rea "how-to" fly dragons.

`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:26:03 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

Sounds like interesting reading. ONE of these days, I may even have time to
start reading again.

I have a book (Jimmy Buffet - A Salty Piece of Land) by my bathtub that I
have been reading for at least a year and I'm only about halfway through it.
Just no time these days. Maybe when my grandson gets into school next year
or if my daughter goes out on her own.

Kate

I recently re-reread Buffet's "A pirate looks at 50"..
Interesting reading, especially since he's 60 now.. time for another book?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:26:03 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

Sounds like interesting reading. ONE of these days, I may even have time to
start reading again.

I have a book (Jimmy Buffet - A Salty Piece of Land) by my bathtub that I
have been reading for at least a year and I'm only about halfway through
it.
Just no time these days. Maybe when my grandson gets into school next year
or if my daughter goes out on her own.

Kate

I recently re-reread Buffet's "A pirate looks at 50"..
Interesting reading, especially since he's 60 now.. time for another book?

mac

Could be..
I've enjoyed this book, onsidering the silly names he has given people. The
story is not too bad.
Not sure I would buy another of them though.

Kate

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 06:57:58 -0600, "Kate" wrote:

I recently re-reread Buffet's "A pirate looks at 50"..
Interesting reading, especially since he's 60 now.. time for another book?

mac

Could be..
I've enjoyed this book, onsidering the silly names he has given people. The
story is not too bad.
Not sure I would buy another of them though.

Kate

Well, I'm a closet Parrot Head, so it was a good read.. *g*

It's actually an autobiography and a look into his weird world..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:13:41 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

Well, I'm a closet Parrot Head, so it was a good read.. *g*

Wait a minute...

A Parrot Head was making fun of Beer Pong? G

carving Dale Woodworking 3 September 9th 06 03:42 PM
Relief The Sanity Inspector Home Repair 6 September 8th 05 05:13 PM