Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default For Kate - relief carving in cherry - IMG_5164b.jpg

I used to read Highlights magazine when I was little, then subscribed to it
for my daughter. It was a great little book!
Hmmm.. wonder if they make it for little guys like my grandson. I'll have to
have a look.

Thanks for sharing it Bill.

Have you ever read the Piers Anthony Xanth series?

Kate

"Bill" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:39:52 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
This was done about 20 years ago in 2 pieces of cherry glued together
in the center. It is approximately 14 x 18 inches and is carved about
3/8 of an inch deep. The finish is several coats of Minwax Antique
Oil Finish.

Bill

All I can say is WOW
I love it. Funny, 30 years ago I was collecting Unicorns and you were
carving them.
The detail is excellent. I am particularly entranced by the unicorn's mane
and tail and the trees. It must have been quite a challenge to get the
textures even and aligned so that the parts became pieces of the whole and
flowed together.
Thank you for posting it.... It's just beautiful.

Kate

Thank you for the kind words. I've always been a sci-fi and fantasy
fan, so I had to carve a couple of unicorns. The pattern for this one
came from a Children's HighLife magazine in my dentist's office. It
was a "find the hidden pictures" page and when I saw it, I knew that
it was meant to be a carving.

Bill