Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Playin' With Multi-Axis Turning (1 of 2)

This multi-axis turning thing is VERY DIFFERENT from single axis
turning.

You're always turning in or immediately next to "shadow areas" which
means

1. you can't see ALL the affects of what you're doing at any given
moment

2. because areas adjacent to where you're workingare "shadows"
your normal method for cutting beads, coves, etc., may cause
the end away from where the cutting edges is cutting to catch
or take out something you wanted to keep

3. "blending" a shape turned on one axis to another shape turned on
a different axis can be an exercise in futility - or a pleasant
surprise

And if you go with intersecting arcs rather than turning to a circular
cross section

1. you have to deal with edges where arcs intersect which means
a) the desired edge changes location is a function of TWO cuts
made on TWO axis so to move an edge 1/8th inch, you have
to remove 1/16th inch on each of the two arcs
b) it's tricky to create a straight edge where the two arcs
intersect because even a minor miscut (too deep or too
shallow) - on either arc cut - is obvious

Should you introduce a quarter twist by placing the centers on one
end 90 degrees relative to the other end

2. you have all the fun and games of (1) above - compounded because
the edge created by the intersecting arcs is twisted. This
requires
some interesting mental gymnaistics - with the accompanying
risk of "pulling something" - and there ain't no brain
chiropractors
though a warm compress, applied to the forehead (or in my case
a 6 or 7 head) does help with brain cramps.

Anyhow - here are two pics of my budding odd little forest.

Fun this woodworking thing - turning being the funnest - most of
the time.

charlie b

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arcs_Twist4.jpg (69.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Arcs_Twist4wLines.jpg (136.0 KB, 81 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

charlieb wrote in news:46F2C3E3.6B62
@accesscom.com:

This multi-axis turning thing is VERY DIFFERENT from single axis
turning.

charlieb,

maybe it's my software, but your pics came through about 15%, then zebra
stripes...

most stuff is ok, usually, with my newsreader, xnews.

seeing your pictures would be rather cool.

patriarch
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Patriarch wrote in
. 136:

charlieb wrote in news:46F2C3E3.6B62
@accesscom.com:

This multi-axis turning thing is VERY DIFFERENT from single axis
turning.

charlieb,

maybe it's my software, but your pics came through about 15%, then
zebra stripes...

most stuff is ok, usually, with my newsreader, xnews.

seeing your pictures would be rather cool.

patriarch

I had the same experience as patriarch. Maybe reducing the picture size
(file size) would help?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
I had the same experience as patriarch. Maybe reducing the picture size
(file size) would help?

I got them just fine ... surprising since I'm on the Vista laptop, and using
Windows Live Mail beta to boot. Surprise surprise!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
I had the same experience as patriarch. Maybe reducing the picture
size (file size) would help?

I got them just fine ... surprising since I'm on the Vista laptop, and
using Windows Live Mail beta to boot. Surprise surprise!

I'm using a cheap laptop running Vista Home basic, but Xnews for news,
Eudora 7.1.0.9 for email

This laptop insists on updating a mail filter for windows mail, but always
fails to complete it, so I don't like to try running it, but will test
this. Maybe it's the verizon news server that screwed up for me

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Han wrote in
:

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
I had the same experience as patriarch. Maybe reducing the picture
size (file size) would help?

I got them just fine ... surprising since I'm on the Vista laptop,
and using Windows Live Mail beta to boot. Surprise surprise!

I'm using a cheap laptop running Vista Home basic, but Xnews for news,
Eudora 7.1.0.9 for email

This laptop insists on updating a mail filter for windows mail, but
always fails to complete it, so I don't like to try running it, but
will test this. Maybe it's the verizon news server that screwed up
for me

Oops, I can indeed access that posting with Windows mail. It looks there
like a text message with 4 attachments - 2 dat files and 2 jpgs. Double
clicking the jpg attachments opens them in Windows photo gallery, YECH!

OK, fixed that to use Irfanview, much better, THANKS!

But I still don't understand why Xnews did not show the jpgs.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Playin' With Multi-Axis Turning (one at a time)

Let's try one at a time

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arcs_Twist4.jpg (69.5 KB, 73 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Playin' With Multi-Axis Turning (2nd of oen at a time)

Attached Thumbnails
Playin' With Multi-Axis Turning (1 of 2)-arcs_twist4wlines-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

charlieb wrote in :

Attachment saved: D:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\application-applefile-2
------------ad25A631221037

What's the above?

Attachment saved: D:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\Arcs_Twist4wLines_ 0.jpg
------------ad25A631221037--

This file is incompletely showing in Xnews

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

charlieb wrote in :

Let's try one at a time

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
--------------122D13E76044
------------ad4F7418EC647C

?????

Attachment decoded: application-applefile-4
------------ad4F7418EC647C

?????

Attachment decoded: Arcs_Twist4.jpg
------------ad4F7418EC647C--

This file shows fine in Xnews

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

charlieb wrote in :

Let's try one at a time

That one came through just fine. Looks like a fine afternoon of making
shavings and learning how things work.

Patriarch
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Well let's try a url to the pics

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iCenters2.html
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

charlieb wrote in :

Well let's try a url to the pics

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iCenters2.html

That is MUCH faster than downloading from a Verizon news server.

Thanks, Charlieb!

--
Best regards
Han

Playin' With Multi-Axis Turning (pics in a.b.p.w) charlieb Woodturning 2 October 2nd 07 02:51 AM
Multi-Axis Article charlieb Woodturning 0 September 1st 07 08:32 AM
Is there a way to set the x-axis on my Dewalt? mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 9 March 15th 06 11:19 PM
ASONG AS-235 x-axis Jim Metalworking 0 September 16th 05 08:35 PM
Spindle axis vs. "Z" axis... Robin S. Metalworking 4 February 22nd 05 01:06 PM