Robin S.

Default Spindle axis vs. "Z" axis...

At work I was discussing this matter with a customer.

I'm interesting in knowing conventions for labeling your axes. While this
has virtually no deep meaning in manual machining, it is exceptionally
important in CNC machining.

I am under the assumption that the "Z" axis is always coaxial with the
spindle. This means that vertical CNC mills have the Z axis going "up and
down", horizontal CNC mills have the Z axis going "forwards and backwards",
horizontal CNC lathes have the Z axis going "left and right" while vertical
lathes have the Z axis going "up and down".

Are there any standards which dictate axes for certain types of machines?
I.e. ISO, DIN, ASME, AISI, CSA, MIL Spec, etc.

We'll leave out extra axes like W for a bridge mill and that kind of
thing...

Thoughts?

Regards,

Robin

Brian Lawson

Hey Robin,

Machine specific in some cases, but do a Google on

EIA 267-C

I've seen 5 axis machines with spindles "noses" that swivel. The
"nose" is a 45 degree mitre joint, so that if it is swiveled or
twisted one certain way it forms a 180 degree line with the spindle
motor shaft, lets say that position is horizontal, and if swung 180
degrees it forms a 90 degree joint to be vertical. If from the 180
position it is swung only 90 degrees, it stays horizontal, but at a 90
degree horizontal to the "180". That make any sense?? It works as a
"universal" head, so that in one configuration it would be operating
as what you referred to as a horizontal mill, and in the second
configuration (2 seconds later), the same machine is operating as a
vertical. I just don't know if the "axis designation" changes at that
instant too. I don't think it does, but I will ask on Monday.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:11:58 -0500, "Robin S."
wrote:

[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
[...]

While its ultimately up to the machine builder, generally the axes are
designated from the "machine home" position....so if a machine with a
tilting head homes out at vertical, and the rotary centerline is parallel to
the x ways, the tilt axis would be designated as -A-

To add rotary axis, X=a Y=b Z=c

And for parallel axes, X=u Y=v Z=w

--

SVL

Torsten

Those are rotational axes usually designated as A , B and C.
For some machine configurations they may be somewhat non standard.
Axes designations never change else you could not program them.