Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Multi-Axis Article

The Fall 2007 Journal of the American Association of Woodturners
- American Woodturner magazine has a five page, well illustrated,
article
on multi-axis turning. A chart of the outcomes of 12 basic types of
multi-axis turning shows you the centers used and a photo of the
results.

I've been working on graphical ways to be able to visualize the results
of pairs of centers, and turning samples of various combinations of
centers, documenting what was used and what the result was left
me dazed and confused - just so many possibilities - and I couldn't
organize centers and results in a way that gave me an understanding
of what causes what. The "chart" goes a long ways to filling that
major gap by putting the info in an prganized, understandable form.

Parallel Axis
Arc Type Circular
Type
Centers Photo Centers Photo
Straight Line
Curved Line
Angular Shape

Twisted Axis
Arc Type Circular
Type
Centers Photo Centers Photo
Straight Line
Curved Line
Angular Shape

If you want to understand multi-axis turning, this article will take
you a long way down the road to multi-axis turning.

This is the first of two articles on the subject of multi-axis
turning. Am looking foreward to the second article and will
begin trying what I've learned from the first article.

If you haven't become a member of AAW, the annual membership
fee of $45 is a bargain - four magazines packed with useful info
and plenty of inspirations from photos of members turnings - and
your insured while demonstrating turning to clubs and other groups.

www.woodturner.org is a site worth investigating.

charlie b

3 axis router mike hide Woodworking 6 May 9th 07 03:40 AM
Is there a way to set the x-axis on my Dewalt? mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 9 March 15th 06 11:19 PM
FS two axis acurite 3 readout williamhenry Metalworking 0 November 30th 05 01:56 AM
ASONG AS-235 x-axis Jim Metalworking 0 September 16th 05 08:35 PM
Spindle axis vs. "Z" axis... Robin S. Metalworking 4 February 22nd 05 01:06 PM