Darrell Feltmate

Default Things we do to impress other turners

I was reading the thread about threading jigs and started to think about the
stuff we do to impress one another.
1) No sign of how a piece was fastened to the lathe, even when the design is
not effected.
I have no problem admitting I used a lathe to make it and I fastened
it to the lathe
2) boxes with too tight a friction fit: look impressive but most people want
to open and close the box easily
3) threaded lids on boxes: see #2
4) bowls with ultra thin walls so they feel too light to use
5) hollow forms with ultra thin walls that feel too light for the size
6) long, thin spindles that really do nothing but look impressive
7) almost anything that David Springett can come up with
The thing is that most of this is non commercial but sure a lot of fun. It
also keeps us pushing for technique which will advance the craft. Having
turned a few long, thin and useless spindles makes the occasional gavel
handle and spatula much easier and therefore more time can be given to
design as opposed to skew technique.
Keep impressing me please. It is not all that hard and I love a piece that
makes me say, "how did he/she do that?" But also keep in mind that all
people are not turners and will tend to buy things they easily relate to.
Collectors now...they have learned to look.
Enough rambling, hand me that tool.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Ken Grunke

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
[...]

Here's a turning I just did only to impress other turners:

http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/....php?photo=963

Other than that, it has no useful value--but the one directly after it
is a bit more practical ;-)

Ken Grunke

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Ken Grunke wrote:

Here's a turning I just did only to impress other turners:

http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/....php?photo=963

You oughta title that one "Got any Doan's Pills?"

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Martin Rost

"Owen Lowe" wrote
Ken Grunke wrote:

Here's a turning I just did only to impress other turners:

http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/....php?photo=963

You oughta title that one "Got any Doan's Pills?"

Ken,
Impressive. It reminds me of either a spiral staircase or as Owen
suggested, a spine. Very nice.

--
Martin
Long Island, New York

Will

Ken Grunke wrote:

Here's a turning I just did only to impress other turners:

http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/....php?photo=963

It worked.

On one of the photos I panicked till I spotted a glue line. All I could
think was "I'll never be this good -- why bother trying!" At least I
hope I saw a glue line -- otherwise ....

Other than that, it has no useful value--but the one directly after it
is a bit more practical ;-)

Ken Grunke

News==----
Newsgroups

Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Ken Grunke

Martin Rost wrote:
"Owen Lowe" wrote

You oughta title that one "Got any Doan's Pills?"

Ken,
Impressive. It reminds me of either a spiral staircase or as Owen
suggested, a spine. Very nice.

--
Martin
Long Island, New York

Funny, but thinking of titles for my turnings is the hardest part of the
whole process for me, so I hardly ever do it.
I'm gonna try getting a piece like this together for the AAW's Northern
Reflections exhibit, so a title would be appropriate.
I'm thinking that the staircase and spine concept can be combined to say
something about middle-aged health--like, "The Steep Climb to the Sphere
of Wellness", maybe?
thanks, guys,

Ken Grunke 51 and climbing
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/ecc/

Ken Grunke

Will wrote:

It worked.

On one of the photos I panicked till I spotted a glue line. All I could
think was "I'll never be this good -- why bother trying!" At least I
hope I saw a glue line -- otherwise ....

Glue line?? what glue line, where?
;-)

OK, yes there is a glue line on the cherry piece, NOT the box elder
one--but I'll wager it's not where you think it is.
I can show you a very close cropping from the 1200 x 1600 pxl original,
it's barely visible--but do you wanna guess where it is first?

Ken

Will

Uh no!

Ken Grunke wrote:
Will wrote:

It worked.

On one of the photos I panicked till I spotted a glue line. All I
could think was "I'll never be this good -- why bother trying!" At
least I hope I saw a glue line -- otherwise ....

Glue line?? what glue line, where?
;-)

OK, yes there is a glue line on the cherry piece, NOT the box elder
one--but I'll wager it's not where you think it is.

I thought I saw a glue line on the box elder piece... That's the one
that bothered me... Maybe you poke something in from the end and then
"stoppered the piece with the finial... Too many possibilities...

Maybe not, But don't see how it could have been turned in one piece.

Perhaps you should send me aspirin in return for making my head hurt
like this...

Least you could do! LOL

I can show you a very close cropping from the 1200 x 1600 pxl original,
it's barely visible--but do you wanna guess where it is first?

Hope you enlighten us.

Beautiful work and finihing.

Ken

News==----
Newsgroups

Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will

Ken Grunke wrote:
Martin Rost wrote:

"Owen Lowe" wrote

[...]

"Stairway to heaven" And have Darrell bless it -- if he would be so kind
-- that should suffice.

Either that or you will have to find a UFO-ologist who will certify it
as "Way to the alien ship" ... I like the former...
Ken Grunke

Will wrote:

I thought I saw a glue line on the box elder piece... That's the one
that bothered me... Maybe you poke something in from the end and then
"stoppered the piece with the finial... Too many possibilities...

Maybe not, But don't see how it could have been turned in one piece.

Will, both pieces were simply held on a 3/8" screw spindle, or "wood
worm" as it's also known. I used a special chuck fixture I designed,
fabricated, and "market" that offsets the spindle from center (not going
into commercial production here, don't want to, but they are available
on a limited production basis--I've sold 9 so far).

You can see the setup he

http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/ecc/index.html

For all pieces like this, I start with drilling a 3/8" hole in the
bottom, screwing it on the spindle, then turning from top to bottom.
Each step in the spiral is turned at the same offset, about 5/16" from
center, but the piece is moved about it's own center by 30 degrees for
each step. Each step is sanded to 800 grit before going on to the next one.

When I get down to the base, I back the piece off a little on the
spindle so I can finish the bottom with a parting tool. That's it for
the box elder piece, but the cherry piece had some extra work because I
had to hollow out the base to fill it with lead shot.

Normally, a paperweight is hollowed out from the bottom and a plug glued
in so there's no glue joint visible. I didn't have an easy way to chuck
the piece that way, so I decided to hollow it out from the top.

So, once I was finished with the spiral part, but before shaping the
base too much, I made a 45 degree cone-shaped cut into the base to part
off the spiral.

I couldn't hollow the base with the spindle inside, so I removed it and
turned a scrap piece of cherry on a faceplate, with a short 3/8" dia.
plug turned into the end, and glued the base onto that so I could hollow it.

The 45 degree parting cut I had done allowed for a good centering fit to
glue the spiral back onto the base after hollowing and filling it with
the lead shot.
All I had left to do was finish turn the base, blend it in with the
spiral a little, then part it off from the waste block, whose short 3/8"
plug was left in the base to plug up the bottom.

I can show you a very close cropping from the 1200 x 1600 pxl
original, it's barely visible--but do you wanna guess where it is first?

Hope you enlighten us.

Beautiful work and finihing.

Thank you. Hope your headache is gone now!
Here's the pic of the glue line I promised--it's so close, you can see
my fingerprint LOL:

http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/images/glue-line.jpg

Ken

Will

Ken Grunke wrote:
Will wrote:

I thought I saw a glue line on the box elder piece... That's the one
that bothered me... Maybe you poke something in from the end and then
"stoppered the piece with the finial... Too many possibilities...

Maybe not, But don't see how it could have been turned in one piece.

Will, both pieces were simply held on a 3/8" screw spindle, or "wood
worm" as it's also known. I used a special chuck fixture I designed,

I am going to print this out and put my feet up -- expect a grilling
when I am done -- not that you _have_ to answer.... LOL

Less o' course I buy a dothingy... :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will

Ken:

Understand on the eccentric. I have a 4 jaw chuck and already tested the
idea a few days ago... So I understand the approach. Your gizmo really
simplifies the idea... It takes a light touch to carve the wood then... LOL

I had a good look at the following...
49boxelderOrnament-med.jpg

Is that a compound turning? That and the other similar ornaments really
intrigue me. Are they turned in multiple parts and assembled? i.e. turn
spindles finials and globes separately? Then glued...? If they are
turned as one piece where can I sign up for classes...? :-)

Reading more...

Will wrote:

Ken Grunke wrote:

Will wrote:

I thought I saw a glue line on the box elder piece... That's the one
that bothered me... Maybe you poke something in from the end and then
"stoppered the piece with the finial... Too many possibilities...

Maybe not, But don't see how it could have been turned in one piece.

Will, both pieces were simply held on a 3/8" screw spindle, or "wood
worm" as it's also known. I used a special chuck fixture I designed,

I am going to print this out and put my feet up -- expect a grilling
when I am done -- not that you _have_ to answer.... LOL

Less o' course I buy a dothingy... :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Ken Grunke

Will wrote:
Ken:

Understand on the eccentric. I have a 4 jaw chuck and already tested the
idea a few days ago... So I understand the approach. Your gizmo really
simplifies the idea... It takes a light touch to carve the wood then... LOL

I had a good look at the following...
49boxelderOrnament-med.jpg

Is that a compound turning? That and the other similar ornaments really
intrigue me. Are they turned in multiple parts and assembled? i.e. turn
spindles finials and globes separately? Then glued...? If they are
turned as one piece where can I sign up for classes...? :-)

Will, those are inside-out turnings. I first discovered the technique in
an English woodturning mag from 1997, then I gave a demo on inside/out
ornaments for our AAW chapter in 2002--I prepared a printout for the
demo which is available as a PDF file he

http://www.crwoodturner.com/howto.html

In a nutshell, four square sticks are temporarily glued together, with
what will be the insides facing out. The inside profiles are turned,
then the pieces are seperated and permanently glued back together with
the turned profiles facing inward. The outside is turned to follow the
inside profile(s), plus whatever stem or finial shapes desired.

The traditional method for temporarily gluing wood is using paper
between the joints, so they are easily seperated. In my tutorial, I
recommended using a small dab of superglue (CA glue) on one end only,
the tailstock end. The headstock end would be held in a 4-jaw scroll
chuck. Gluing at one end only makes it easier to pry the pieces apart,
and almost everyone's got a 4-jaw scroll chuck these days.

Since then, I've discovered that double-stick tape works great--the
stuff for plastic storm window sheeting. An inch or so at the tailstock
end is enough, as long as pressure is applied with a c-clamp for a few
seconds.

The PDF file goes into more detail, knock yourself out and have fun!

Ken Grunke
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/
Natural Rotations Woodturning
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

Will

Ken:

Unless you object I will add a link to our website. Like Darrell
Feltmates's site it seems to me to be valuable information for turners
in general. So I will add it on the next update....

Between you and Darrell Feltmate you have got me _really_ interested in
what I can do to add to the repertoire.

Hat's off to both of you.

Ken Grunke wrote:
Will wrote:

[...]

Printed... Slick love the write-up.

In a nutshell, four square sticks are temporarily glued together, with
what will be the insides facing out. The inside profiles are turned,
then the pieces are seperated and permanently glued back together with
the turned profiles facing inward. The outside is turned to follow the
inside profile(s), plus whatever stem or finial shapes desired.

I will be trying this as soon as the current project is off the lathe. :-)

We are turning some oak spindles for a solid Oak stool for the shop.
SWMBO is tired of standing at the scroll saw.

We just agreed on a simple spindle design so I will do what I can
tomorrow...

I had her do about 3/4 of the rough turning so she is getting a feel for
the lathe as well now.

This afternoon I sent her off to work out the angles and lengths and all
that stuff for _her_ shop stool. Didn't realize she had forgotten all
her trigonometry so I was in doo-doo for a few minutes. Got her back on
track -- hadn't noticed that she was gone for an hour and a half cause I
was working on other stuff. So I showed her how to determine lengths of
spindles based on height above floor and how to write an equation
(inequality for those who care) that gives you minimum and maximum
lengths based on the height of the bottom of the stool seat plate, angle
of the legs, maximum spindle allowed in the lathe and the height of the
spindle above the floor. Now she agrees it isn't that tough -- just
seems like it if you haven't done it for a while... The only real
problem it turned out was that she changed her reference point and did
half the calculations with different references from the first half...
Now that would have been an interesting set of stool legs and spindles...

What upset her is that it really only takes about 10 minutes to work all
the math back and forth a few times till you get a design you like...
Live and learn...

Maybe I should write that one up so people could copy it and make
designs for custom stools by plugging in a couple of numbers... :-)

The traditional method for temporarily gluing wood is using paper
between the joints, so they are easily seperated. In my tutorial, I
recommended using a small dab of superglue (CA glue) on one end only,
the tailstock end. The headstock end would be held in a 4-jaw scroll
chuck. Gluing at one end only makes it easier to pry the pieces apart,
and almost everyone's got a 4-jaw scroll chuck these days.

Probably not as cheap as the one I just got at Busy Bee. LOL ($25 new
and worth every penny. LOL) Hopefully I can turn a few bowls with it
before I get a _real_ chuck.

I saw a few eccentric turnings that you did -- now that would be an
interesting way to make a golf club head -- not that I play golf. An
Ironwood head should make an interesting driver -- assuming the chisels
don't melt first. :-)

Since then, I've discovered that double-stick tape works great--the
stuff for plastic storm window sheeting. An inch or so at the tailstock
end is enough, as long as pressure is applied with a c-clamp for a few
seconds.

The PDF file goes into more detail, knock yourself out and have fun!

I will -- so will the other half. She just doesn't know what she is in
for yet. :-)

Ken Grunke
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/
Natural Rotations Woodturning
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

News==----