Barry N. Turner

You did it. I'm impressed!

Barry

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I was reading the thread about threading jigs and started to think about

the
stuff we do to impress one another.
1) No sign of how a piece was fastened to the lathe, even when the

design is
not effected.
I have no problem admitting I used a lathe to make it and I

fastened
it to the lathe
2) boxes with too tight a friction fit: look impressive but most people

want
to open and close the box easily
3) threaded lids on boxes: see #2
4) bowls with ultra thin walls so they feel too light to use
5) hollow forms with ultra thin walls that feel too light for the size
6) long, thin spindles that really do nothing but look impressive
7) almost anything that David Springett can come up with
The thing is that most of this is non commercial but sure a lot of fun.

It
also keeps us pushing for technique which will advance the craft. Having
turned a few long, thin and useless spindles makes the occasional gavel
handle and spatula much easier and therefore more time can be given to
design as opposed to skew technique.
Keep impressing me please. It is not all that hard and I love a piece

that
makes me say, "how did he/she do that?" But also keep in mind that all
people are not turners and will tend to buy things they easily relate

to.
Collectors now...they have learned to look.
Enough rambling, hand me that tool.

Here's a turning I just did only to impress other turners:

http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/....php?photo=963

Other than that, it has no useful value--but the one directly after it
is a bit more practical ;-)

Ken Grunke

News==----

Newsgroups