Will

Ken:

Understand on the eccentric. I have a 4 jaw chuck and already tested the
idea a few days ago... So I understand the approach. Your gizmo really
simplifies the idea... It takes a light touch to carve the wood then... LOL

I had a good look at the following...
49boxelderOrnament-med.jpg

Is that a compound turning? That and the other similar ornaments really
intrigue me. Are they turned in multiple parts and assembled? i.e. turn
spindles finials and globes separately? Then glued...? If they are
turned as one piece where can I sign up for classes...? :-)

Reading more...

Will wrote:

Ken Grunke wrote:

Will wrote:

I thought I saw a glue line on the box elder piece... That's the one
that bothered me... Maybe you poke something in from the end and then
"stoppered the piece with the finial... Too many possibilities...

Maybe not, But don't see how it could have been turned in one piece.

Will, both pieces were simply held on a 3/8" screw spindle, or "wood
worm" as it's also known. I used a special chuck fixture I designed,

I am going to print this out and put my feet up -- expect a grilling
when I am done -- not that you _have_ to answer.... LOL

Less o' course I buy a dothingy... :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek