Ken Grunke

Will wrote:
Ken:

Understand on the eccentric. I have a 4 jaw chuck and already tested the
idea a few days ago... So I understand the approach. Your gizmo really
simplifies the idea... It takes a light touch to carve the wood then... LOL

I had a good look at the following...
49boxelderOrnament-med.jpg

Is that a compound turning? That and the other similar ornaments really
intrigue me. Are they turned in multiple parts and assembled? i.e. turn
spindles finials and globes separately? Then glued...? If they are
turned as one piece where can I sign up for classes...? :-)

Will, those are inside-out turnings. I first discovered the technique in
an English woodturning mag from 1997, then I gave a demo on inside/out
ornaments for our AAW chapter in 2002--I prepared a printout for the
demo which is available as a PDF file he

http://www.crwoodturner.com/howto.html

In a nutshell, four square sticks are temporarily glued together, with
what will be the insides facing out. The inside profiles are turned,
then the pieces are seperated and permanently glued back together with
the turned profiles facing inward. The outside is turned to follow the
inside profile(s), plus whatever stem or finial shapes desired.

The traditional method for temporarily gluing wood is using paper
between the joints, so they are easily seperated. In my tutorial, I
recommended using a small dab of superglue (CA glue) on one end only,
the tailstock end. The headstock end would be held in a 4-jaw scroll
chuck. Gluing at one end only makes it easier to pry the pieces apart,
and almost everyone's got a 4-jaw scroll chuck these days.

Since then, I've discovered that double-stick tape works great--the
stuff for plastic storm window sheeting. An inch or so at the tailstock
end is enough, as long as pressure is applied with a c-clamp for a few
seconds.

The PDF file goes into more detail, knock yourself out and have fun!

Ken Grunke
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/
Natural Rotations Woodturning
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/