brock b.

Default mulberry

Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

Michael Lehmann

I would imagine it would become fruitless mulberrry after you turned it
Mick

"brock b." wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

Afternoon Brock:

Mulberry turns well WET.............. BUT wear a Raincoat!

Once it drys, it's very hard. You'll have to sharpen tools frequently,
but either way it makes nice projects.

The Other Bruce
Michael Lehmann wrote:
I would imagine it would become fruitless mulberrry after you turned

it
Mick

"brock b." wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

Leo Van Der Loo

Hello Brock

Brock I don't know what fruitless Mulberry is, in my library I find
there are 10 species, 2 are native to N. America, but I assume it is a
hybrid, question would be why have a mulberry without fruit, it's not a
great looking tree IMO.
Anyway I have turned Mulberry quiet a bit, and have, halve a multi
stemmed tree out on my patio, cut up into manageable pieces.
It turns ok, it likes to tears out a bit, it's not tearing out cross
grain but length wise when it is wet, not a problem after rough turned
and dried.
It likes to keep a lot of water in, as someone already mentioned, and I
assume that is one of the reasons why it changes size more than most,
when drying, I also have to slow down the drying rate, especially if I
leave the sapwood on, the sapwood likes to split at places like by the
tenon if that's sapwood, I just came back from my drying cabin, one of
the bowls I checked up on is a 18" Mulberry wrapped in 3 layers of
newspaper, it's still doing fine, lost 1/2" of its width so far, the
smaller bowls I put in a brown paper bag and close the end, they will
stay in there for at least 3 months, they get checked regularly.
Yes this got a little long, hope it helps.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

brock b. wrote:
Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

Martin Rost

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Hello Brock

Brock I don't know what fruitless Mulberry is, in my library I find
there are 10 species, 2 are native to N. America, but I assume it is a
hybrid, question would be why have a mulberry without fruit, it's not a
great looking tree IMO.

Leo,
One reason to have a Mulberry without fruit is that is a very messy tree.
When I was a kid, there was a Mulberry in the neighbors yard that hung over
into our yard. Running around the backyard barefoot would get you purple
feet.
I've turned a little Mulberry and IMO the wood does not have an
attractive color.

--
Martin
Long Island, New York

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Martin

Not a good enough reason in my book.

I think purple or black, they (your feet) would have to get washed, you
should have seen me eating brambles or walnuts and I still like
ras,mul,black,blue,sascatoon, etc.berries, you bet I do, still get
whatever color goes with it to. G

The mulberry wood has a nice golden color, turns a dark honey after a
while, this sentence keeps it within the rec wood turning rules.

Have fun and take care
Leo van Der Loo

Martin Rost wrote:

Leo,

One reason to have a Mulberry without fruit is that is a very
messy tree.
When I was a kid, there was a Mulberry in the neighbors yard that hung over
into our yard. Running around the backyard barefoot would get you purple
feet.
I've turned a little Mulberry and IMO the wood does not have an
attractive color.

--
Martin
Long Island, New York

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi BoB

Almost as bad as the fish and worm eating bird droppings, that'll eat
the paint right off, all good reasons for a car wash. G
To keep this on topic, you could cover the car with mineral oil maybe,
it should just wash off, no ??? G

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bob wrote:

Another problem with it is the birds eat the berries and their crap stains
your car!

mac davis

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:15:17 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi BoB

Almost as bad as the fish and worm eating bird droppings, that'll eat
the paint right off, all good reasons for a car wash. G
To keep this on topic, you could cover the car with mineral oil maybe,
it should just wash off, no ??? G

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

or build the components of a carport in your shop..
Bob wrote:

Another problem with it is the birds eat the berries and their crap stains
your car!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Chris Ross

Plus wherever the birds make their deposits, the seeds grow and those
damn things are so hard to get rid of. I had a bunch of them right up
against the house where the birds would sit on the gutter and well you
know...

Bob wrote:

Another problem with it is the birds eat the berries and their crap stains
your car!

Leif Thorvaldson

"brock b." wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

I have heard it is a fruitless exercise! *G*

Leif

Will

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
"brock b." wrote in message
ups.com...

Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

I have heard it is a fruitless exercise! *G*

Leif

Only if you leif it till it is too dry to turn.
Leif Thorvaldson

"Will" wrote in message
.. .
Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
"brock b." wrote in message
ups.com...

Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?

I have heard it is a fruitless exercise! *G*

Leif

Only if you leif it till it is too dry to tur

"Round 'n 'round the mulberry chunk
the turner plied his chisel.
His iron caught a knot,
which hit him in the beezer!

[next verse]

Michael Lehmann

Hey Leif, isn't verse supposed to rhyme?

"Round 'n 'round the mulberry chunk
the turner plied his chisel.
His iron caught a knot,
which hit him in the beezer!

Leif Thorvaldson

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
Hey Leif, isn't verse supposed to rhyme?

"Round 'n 'round the mulberry chunk
the turner plied his chisel.
His iron caught a knot,
which hit him in the beezer!

Hey, I modeled it after "Pop Goes the Weasel"

"All around the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun.
Pop! goes the weasel."

It has a very weak rhyme scheme (weasel/weasel -- come on!). I then made an
artistic judgment to simply skip the rhyming effort and try to maintain the
meter -- the flow, if you will -- by using "blank" verse which I thought
appropriate for a turning poem! *G*

M.J.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
Hey Leif, isn't verse supposed to rhyme?

"Round 'n 'round the mulberry chunk
the turner plied his chisel.
His iron caught a knot,
which hit him in the beezer!

Hey, I modeled it after "Pop Goes the Weasel"

"All around the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun.
Pop! goes the weasel."

It has a very weak rhyme scheme (weasel/weasel -- come on!). I then made
an artistic judgment to simply skip the rhyming effort and try to maintain
the meter -- the flow, if you will -- by using "blank" verse which I
thought appropriate for a turning poem! *G*

Methinks you've been standing too close to the LDD vat for too long Leif.
I'm guessing, but it appears the fumes may have caused permanent
damage..............
--
:-)

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Leif Thorvaldson

"M.J." wrote in message

[...]

====I am surrounded by poetic and LDD Philistines! Where is Arch when he
is needed?*G*

Leif

Will

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
"M.J." wrote in message

[...]

Quite the opposite. You're going to have to work on your rhyme and metre.

I think you better show off some turnings quick before people remember
you as a poet. Trust me - you don't want to be remebered as a poet...

'Twould be better they remember your artistry in wood!
Le it remembered how you strived for good
How you never hewed the hallowed tree!
And you would not turn the fruitless mulberry
Unless it be for faith and rood

:-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Michael Lehmann

Poetic philistine? Poetic Philistine!!
I would have overlooked the lack of rhyme (and the loss of meter in the
third line :-) if I knew what in LDD-istan (or anywhere else) a "beezer"
was.
I live in Australia and wee have many terms for many things. We are very,
very keen on brevity here, but Beezer didn't make the cut.
mick
Whats a beezer, sounds like ####### slang.

Leif Thorvaldson

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message ...
Poetic philistine? Poetic Philistine!!
I would have overlooked the lack of rhyme (and the loss of meter in the
third line :-) if I knew what in LDD-istan (or anywhere else) a "beezer"
was.
I live in Australia and wee have many terms for many things. We are very,
very keen on brevity here, but Beezer didn't make the cut.
mick
Whats a beezer, sounds like ####### slang.

=== From the Word Detective: "According to The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, "beezer" first appeared around 1908, and other sources indicate that it was widespread slang in the boxing world, where noses do command a lot of attention. Aside from being slang for the old schnozzola, "beezer" apparently also has long been used as slang for "the human head" in general." "Beezer" did make the Aussie cut in MacQuarie's Dictionary, but they mangled that bit by defining it as slang referring to vehicle manufactured by the British Small Arms company. [pronunciation of the letters BSA]

As to LDD! Where have you been??? Do a Google search for "Leif Thorvaldson+LDD" and you will be enlightened.

And my break in the meter, I did say that I would "try to maintain the meter!" and heaven knows, the folks on this list certainly know I am very trying!*G*

Leif