Ali T. Borahan

Default Mulberry stump

Hi Mowgli,

I've been turning some small, tall vases and small boxes with Mulberry, and
I LOVE IT! The wood I've been working with is relatively dense and hard.
With a sharp tool, taking fine shearing cuts, you can get an incredible
shine. I sand it down to 1200 grit and use the Beall Buffing system to
finish my pieces, and they shine and shimmer like gold. It's a fantastic
wood. I'll have some pictures of the latest pieces in a couple of weeks or
so. Enjoy the Mulberry! And if you decide to part with any of it, let me
know!!! ;o)
--
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts

"Mowgli" wrote in message
I hauled home a 4' x 18-24" mulberry tree stump today.
The lady said it has been sitting there for about a year.
It had some rot on the ground side but the rest seems solid.
I cut a hunk off and turned a small spindle to see what it'll look like

with
the not-a-spindle part removed. It has pretty cool yellow & brown colors.
We're going to cut some bowl blanks this weekend and I'll try turning my
first small bowl.

Anyone else here made anything with mulberry? Is it better for face or
spindles? Any other info? I've been looking in my books and on the net but
haven't found much info about turning mulberry.

Thanks for any usefull info,

Mowgli

******************************FZ****************** ************
Evelyn, a dog, having undergone furthur modification
Pondered the significance of short-person behavior
In pedal-depressed panchromatic resonance
And other highly ambient domains...

Arf she said
******************************FZ****************** ************

Bruce

Evenin' Ali:

The first piece of wood I turned (Except a loooooooong time ago in
high school) was Mulberry. One part, I did wet and I mean WET -
Raincoat time! The other part, I let dry. I have been looking for
more, but haven't located any down trees yet. I know that I will load
up! I totally agree it is some of the best stuff around.

The Other Bruce

"Mowgli" wrote in message
[...]

James Johnson

"Mowgli" wrote in message
I hauled home a 4' x 18-24" mulberry tree stump today.
The lady said it has been sitting there for about a year.
It had some rot on the ground side but the rest seems solid.
I cut a hunk off and turned a small spindle to see what it'll look like

with
the not-a-spindle part removed. It has pretty cool yellow & brown colors.
We're going to cut some bowl blanks this weekend and I'll try turning my
first small bowl.

Anyone else here made anything with mulberry? Is it better for face or
spindles? Any other info? I've been looking in my books and on the net but
haven't found much info about turning mulberry.

Thanks for any usefull info,

Mowgli

You might try sandblasting it. It really makes the grain stand out. If you
turn a piece with the pith in the center (bottom) of the piece, and sand
blast it, the grain is magnificent, and begs people to run their hands over
it.

Regards,

James Johnson

tips on stump burning? williamhenry Metalworking 41 June 9th 04 04:52 AM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
Mulberry Joe and Daphne Bazer Woodturning 8 October 17th 03 07:31 AM