James Johnson

Default Mulberry stump

"Mowgli" wrote in message
I hauled home a 4' x 18-24" mulberry tree stump today.
The lady said it has been sitting there for about a year.
It had some rot on the ground side but the rest seems solid.
I cut a hunk off and turned a small spindle to see what it'll look like

with
the not-a-spindle part removed. It has pretty cool yellow & brown colors.
We're going to cut some bowl blanks this weekend and I'll try turning my
first small bowl.

Anyone else here made anything with mulberry? Is it better for face or
spindles? Any other info? I've been looking in my books and on the net but
haven't found much info about turning mulberry.

Thanks for any usefull info,

Mowgli

You might try sandblasting it. It really makes the grain stand out. If you
turn a piece with the pith in the center (bottom) of the piece, and sand
blast it, the grain is magnificent, and begs people to run their hands over
it.

Regards,

James Johnson