Joe and Daphne Bazer

Default Mulberry

Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

Tony Manella

Hi Joe,
I've turned some mulberry but none that had a greenish hue. Mine has all
been bright yellow. Mulberry changes color quickly after exposure to a deep
russet (reddish brown). Its a pretty color.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Joe and Daphne Bazer" wrote in message
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

snip
Joe and Daphne Bazer wrote:
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?

I've turned a lot of mulberry, found it to be a very pretty wood and fun
to turn. YMMV.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Ken Grunke

Joe and Daphne Bazer wrote:
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

I turned a peppermill and some vases with glass inserts from mulberry
limbs, it definitely had a green color that I found unique. Nice wood to
work with, not too hard not too soft. Not the most stable wood though.

Try buckthorn, it's bright orange color is a knockout and it's got
pretty grain as well.

Ken

Lewis Dodd

Is that "buckthorn" the same as osage orange, also known locally as Bois de
Arc?

--
"What comes across as the most important source of Clinton's uniqueness as
president is the nearly unbelievable degree of his essential unfitness to be

Miahael Kelly
"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
Joe and Daphne Bazer wrote:
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

I turned a peppermill and some vases with glass inserts from mulberry
limbs, it definitely had a green color that I found unique. Nice wood to
work with, not too hard not too soft. Not the most stable wood though.

Try buckthorn, it's bright orange color is a knockout and it's got
pretty grain as well.

Ken

Greg Kulibert

Buckthorn is an imported bush that is spread by birds eating the berries and
is in danger of taking over in some areas. The land behind me is regularly
cleared by the Scouts. The wood is hard, turns well, has great grain and
splits while look ing at it. It is definately worth trying and is definately
not Mulberry
Greg

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
Joe and Daphne Bazer wrote:
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I

live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone

have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

I turned a peppermill and some vases with glass inserts from mulberry
limbs, it definitely had a green color that I found unique. Nice wood to
work with, not too hard not too soft. Not the most stable wood though.

Try buckthorn, it's bright orange color is a knockout and it's got
pretty grain as well.

Ken

Raven

Joe,
The Mulberry that grows here in New Mexico is a delight to turn. It is
bright yellow, and unlike some other yellow woods such as Osage Orange, our
Mulberry does not turn brown any time soon. I can't tell the difference in
color in things I turned over a year ago and the things I am turning now
from logs. It's a nice change from brown or light- colored woods.

"Joe and Daphne Bazer" wrote in message
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

Jim Gott

Try buckthorn, it's bright orange color is a knockout and it's got
pretty grain as well. BRBR

Just make sure you turn it "sloe." ;-)

(sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Ken Grunke

Joe and Daphne Bazer wrote:
Just tried turning Mulberry (I think, it's called "toot" where I live).
Turns easily but has a yellow/green color I don't care for. Anyone have
experience with this wood?
Thanks
Joe

"Just the facts, ma'am"--