Leif Thorvaldson

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message ...
Poetic philistine? Poetic Philistine!!
I would have overlooked the lack of rhyme (and the loss of meter in the
third line :-) if I knew what in LDD-istan (or anywhere else) a "beezer"
was.
I live in Australia and wee have many terms for many things. We are very,
very keen on brevity here, but Beezer didn't make the cut.
mick
Whats a beezer, sounds like ####### slang.

=== From the Word Detective: "According to The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, "beezer" first appeared around 1908, and other sources indicate that it was widespread slang in the boxing world, where noses do command a lot of attention. Aside from being slang for the old schnozzola, "beezer" apparently also has long been used as slang for "the human head" in general." "Beezer" did make the Aussie cut in MacQuarie's Dictionary, but they mangled that bit by defining it as slang referring to vehicle manufactured by the British Small Arms company. [pronunciation of the letters BSA]

As to LDD! Where have you been??? Do a Google search for "Leif Thorvaldson+LDD" and you will be enlightened.

And my break in the meter, I did say that I would "try to maintain the meter!" and heaven knows, the folks on this list certainly know I am very trying!*G*

Leif