Leo Van Der Loo

Hello Brock

Brock I don't know what fruitless Mulberry is, in my library I find
there are 10 species, 2 are native to N. America, but I assume it is a
hybrid, question would be why have a mulberry without fruit, it's not a
great looking tree IMO.
Anyway I have turned Mulberry quiet a bit, and have, halve a multi
stemmed tree out on my patio, cut up into manageable pieces.
It turns ok, it likes to tears out a bit, it's not tearing out cross
grain but length wise when it is wet, not a problem after rough turned
and dried.
It likes to keep a lot of water in, as someone already mentioned, and I
assume that is one of the reasons why it changes size more than most,
when drying, I also have to slow down the drying rate, especially if I
leave the sapwood on, the sapwood likes to split at places like by the
tenon if that's sapwood, I just came back from my drying cabin, one of
the bowls I checked up on is a 18" Mulberry wrapped in 3 layers of
newspaper, it's still doing fine, lost 1/2" of its width so far, the
smaller bowls I put in a brown paper bag and close the end, they will
stay in there for at least 3 months, they get checked regularly.
Yes this got a little long, hope it helps.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

brock b. wrote:
Does anyone turn fruitless mulberry?