derekd

Default Treadle Lathe

Hi all.

Last year, having way too much time on my hands, and some old 2X12's laying
around, I made a treadle lathe. I used the 2X12;s and made a 3-ply
wheelwhich I mounted on a steel pipe for an axle, put it up between 2 risers
and with a grinder motor, got it to turn and turned and sanded the outside
so it was round, with a groove in the middle. I used a third riser at the
end and a couple of 2X12's (cut down to 2X6) for a bed, and held the thing
together with 4" deck screws. I cobbled a treadle together and welded a
pitman arm on the end of the pipe-asle. I used a belt to drive a cylinder
that I "turned" from a an old piece of a maple tree and mounted it to
another steel pipe that I welded a chuck to. For a tailstock, another chunk
of 2X12 (again, cut down) and a steel rod that I ground a point onto. The
tailstock moved back and forth to allow for different lenghts of wood.

Well, the thing actually worked, blew my mind. I ended up taking it apart as
I was only making shavings and I needed the room more than I needed a
half-assed lathe. I am planning on re-doing the project, but this time with
some nice, properly dimensioned hardwoods (probably maple), and a
properly-made tailstock with a moveable point (maybe even a hollow point!),
as well as using a set of reduction pulleys to allow for higher speeds.

Has anyone ever built a treadle lathe, and what exsperiences/insight could
you share.

Cheers,

Derek

Doc Font

In article sTZNd.11502$K54.3956@edtnps84,
"derekd" wrote:

Has anyone ever built a treadle lathe, and what exsperiences/insight could
you share.
Derek

Hi Derek.

I've been active in the Society for Creative Anachronisms for twenty
mumble, mumble years. The SCA recreates loosely the arts, crafts and
activities in the middle ages. I've tried out a few treadle, and hand
cranked, lathes over the years but too lazy to use one in my shop. They
are fun to demonstrate to the crowds of mundane folk at renassaince
faires. Just keep the tools sharp and make light cuts.

Consider doing a websearch for "SCA treadle lathe" if you want to folks
who been there done that. Or the ones who enjoy researching the
technology of medievil times.

like; http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/lathes.html
http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/treadlelathe.html

I hope the day finds you well
Bernadette
mike

derekd wrote:
[...]

I built a treadle lathe and then converted it to electric, getting
older I guess.Worked well after redoing the flywheel. First flywheel
was not heavy enough on the rim. Then made a new one with purple heart
glued up with spokes to a bubinga hub.This made a huge difference.The
first flywheel was 1 1/2" thick pine. The purple heart rim was 2 3/4"
thick and used same spokes and hub.
I used leather belts sewed up by a shoemaker. Bearings were bought from
McMaster Carr. I used a 5/8 cold rolled steel for the headstock
spindle. Heated it with map gas, flattened one end and shaped with a
variety of files,dremel tool and a hacksaw.Wound up with a two spur
chisel profile. Used a machine bolt for the tailstock spindle, ground
to a point.I made a tool rest from 3/4" iron pipe nipple and 5/8" cold
rolled steel. The pipe nipple fit in an oak banjo, the steel slides
vertically in pipe. A 1/4x20 bolt is tapped into nipple for a
setscrew.
I am not sure but I think Shopsmith sells live centers and spur centers
that go on cold rolled steel if you would rather buy them than make
them.
I would use pillow block ball bearings and figure on a jackshaft to
take up the slack in the belt.
mike

Ralph E Lindberg

"derekd" wrote:

Has anyone ever built a treadle lathe, and what exsperiences/insight could
you share.
Derek

Hi Derek.

I've been active in the Society for Creative Anachronisms for twenty
mumble, mumble years.

dito

The SCA recreates loosely the arts, crafts and
activities in the middle ages.

or not so loosely (depending on who you are)

I've tried out a few treadle, and hand
cranked, lathes over the years but too lazy to use one in my shop. They
are fun to demonstrate to the crowds of mundane folk at renassaince
faires. Just keep the tools sharp and make light cuts.

You aren't the only one....

Consider doing a websearch for "SCA treadle lathe" if you want to folks
who been there done that. Or the ones who enjoy researching the
technology of medievil times.

like; http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/lathes.html
http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/projects/treadlelathe.html

Additionally, there is a book for the York dig people that shows some
construction detail. It also shows lots of "cores" left from period
turning. If requested I can post the details for the book.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
George

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message

"derekd" wrote:

[...]

Not treadle, but some ideas available at : http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

derekd

Thanks to all who answered. I like the idea of later changin it to an
electric motor (that "getting old thing"), but I also like the idea of
foot-power. I am going to be turning pipes and whistles, fifes and other
tube-type thingys. I need a chick and steady rest for boring the holes (with
a gun-drill), and a hollow tailstock to feed said gun drill.

I recall one of the the lathes on the net having two pedals so that the
operator could sit while working the machine.

Derek

Will

derekd wrote:
Thanks to all who answered. I like the idea of later changin it to an
electric motor (that "getting old thing"), but I also like the idea of
foot-power. I am going to be turning pipes and whistles, fifes and other
tube-type thingys.

Make sure you post a link to pictures when done. Know that I would like
to see them.

I need a chick and steady rest for boring the holes (with
a gun-drill), and a hollow tailstock to feed said gun drill.

Well if you get a "chick" to help in that way let us know. Maybe we are
all missing an opportunity. :-) Understand the need for "steady rest" if
the idea works out. :-) Does SWMBO know about this idea?

( Sure you meant chuck - but it reads better this way. :-)) )

I recall one of the the lathes on the net having two pedals so that the
operator could sit while working the machine.

Maybe it was so the "chick" could help. :-)

Derek

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
derekd

hee hee
Derek

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Will" wrote in message
.. .

I need a chick and steady rest for boring the holes (with
a gun-drill), and a hollow tailstock to feed said gun drill.

Well if you get a "chick" to help in that way let us know. Maybe we are
all missing an opportunity. :-) Understand the need for "steady rest" if
the idea works out. :-) Does SWMBO know about this idea?

The dental plan could be pretty expensive, though.

Hello Derek
I build one out of one 2" x 4"x96" at our 2x4 Challenge, it is just
for looks but it works.
It is like a Meccano toy, you can take it appart, wooden
screws and all. We could use glue only, no fasteners. you can see at

http://pacificwoodworkersguild.com/c...?album=9&pos=1

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Derek
I build one out of one 2" x 4"x96" at our 2x4 Challenge, it is just
for looks but it works.
It is like a Meccano toy, you can take it appart, wooden
screws and all. We could use glue only, no fasteners. you can see at

http://pacificwoodworkersguild.com/c...?album=9&pos=1

Only one word - Incredible!

mike

Terrific job, looks like a lot of fun to make.
mike