mike

derekd wrote:
Hi all.

Last year, having way too much time on my hands, and some old 2X12's

laying
around, I made a treadle lathe. I used the 2X12;s and made a 3-ply
wheelwhich I mounted on a steel pipe for an axle, put it up between 2

risers
and with a grinder motor, got it to turn and turned and sanded the

outside
so it was round, with a groove in the middle. I used a third riser at

the
end and a couple of 2X12's (cut down to 2X6) for a bed, and held the

thing
together with 4" deck screws. I cobbled a treadle together and welded

pitman arm on the end of the pipe-asle. I used a belt to drive a

cylinder
that I "turned" from a an old piece of a maple tree and mounted it to

another steel pipe that I welded a chuck to. For a tailstock, another

chunk
of 2X12 (again, cut down) and a steel rod that I ground a point onto.

The
tailstock moved back and forth to allow for different lenghts of

wood.

Well, the thing actually worked, blew my mind. I ended up taking it

apart as
I was only making shavings and I needed the room more than I needed a

half-assed lathe. I am planning on re-doing the project, but this

time with
some nice, properly dimensioned hardwoods (probably maple), and a
properly-made tailstock with a moveable point (maybe even a hollow

point!),
as well as using a set of reduction pulleys to allow for higher

speeds.

Has anyone ever built a treadle lathe, and what exsperiences/insight

could
you share.

Cheers,

Derek

I built a treadle lathe and then converted it to electric, getting
older I guess.Worked well after redoing the flywheel. First flywheel
was not heavy enough on the rim. Then made a new one with purple heart
glued up with spokes to a bubinga hub.This made a huge difference.The
first flywheel was 1 1/2" thick pine. The purple heart rim was 2 3/4"
thick and used same spokes and hub.
I used leather belts sewed up by a shoemaker. Bearings were bought from
McMaster Carr. I used a 5/8 cold rolled steel for the headstock
spindle. Heated it with map gas, flattened one end and shaped with a
variety of files,dremel tool and a hacksaw.Wound up with a two spur
chisel profile. Used a machine bolt for the tailstock spindle, ground
to a point.I made a tool rest from 3/4" iron pipe nipple and 5/8" cold
rolled steel. The pipe nipple fit in an oak banjo, the steel slides
vertically in pipe. A 1/4x20 bolt is tapped into nipple for a
setscrew.
I am not sure but I think Shopsmith sells live centers and spur centers
that go on cold rolled steel if you would rather buy them than make
them.
I would use pillow block ball bearings and figure on a jackshaft to
take up the slack in the belt.
mike