derekd

Default Treadle Lathe

Hi all.

Last year, having way too much time on my hands, and some old 2X12's laying
around, I made a treadle lathe. I used the 2X12;s and made a 3-ply
wheelwhich I mounted on a steel pipe for an axle, put it up between 2 risers
and with a grinder motor, got it to turn and turned and sanded the outside
so it was round, with a groove in the middle. I used a third riser at the
end and a couple of 2X12's (cut down to 2X6) for a bed, and held the thing
together with 4" deck screws. I cobbled a treadle together and welded a
pitman arm on the end of the pipe-asle. I used a belt to drive a cylinder
that I "turned" from a an old piece of a maple tree and mounted it to
another steel pipe that I welded a chuck to. For a tailstock, another chunk
of 2X12 (again, cut down) and a steel rod that I ground a point onto. The
tailstock moved back and forth to allow for different lenghts of wood.

Well, the thing actually worked, blew my mind. I ended up taking it apart as
I was only making shavings and I needed the room more than I needed a
half-assed lathe. I am planning on re-doing the project, but this time with
some nice, properly dimensioned hardwoods (probably maple), and a
properly-made tailstock with a moveable point (maybe even a hollow point!),
as well as using a set of reduction pulleys to allow for higher speeds.

Has anyone ever built a treadle lathe, and what exsperiences/insight could
you share.

Cheers,

Derek