harryc

Default Beal Buffing System?

I want to use a double end mandrel so I can put a buffer on each end of the
mandrel and mandrel shaft will run off the motor with a pulley. One adaptor
came with the system(right hand thread)but nothing for the left side with
left hand thread. The adaptor reduces the 5/8 shaft to 1/2 inc shaft so the
buffers can be attached. Anyone know what I can do about the left side of
the double end mandrel

--
Harry

Jim Gott

I want to use a double end mandrel so I can put a buffer on each end of the
mandrel and mandrel shaft will run off the motor with a pulley. One adaptor
came with the system(right hand thread)but nothing for the left side with
left hand thread. The adaptor reduces the 5/8 shaft to 1/2 inc shaft so the
buffers can be attached. Anyone know what I can do about the left side of
the double end mandrel

--
Harry
BRBR

Harry,
It's better to use the Beall system on a lathe rather than on a 3500 rpm motor.
On the lathe you can vary the speed and slow down the wheels. An 8" wheel
spinning at 3500 (or even 1750) is fast enough to strip the finish right off a
bowl. I normally use an 8" wheel at 1200 rpm or slower. It makes the wheel
softer because it spreads out more when it comes in contact with the wood. It
also reduces the heat from friction. A 3500 rpm motor will make the wheel very
hard due to the excessive centrifugal force. If you want to have multiple
wheels mounted, I suggest the 3-on-a-shaft option that Beall has that goes on
the lathe. I have the morse taper setup with a drawbar through the headstock
and I like it a lot. I also have both the 8" and the 4" wheels.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Peter Teubel

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:51:22 -0400, "harryc" wrote:

I want to use a double end mandrel so I can put a buffer on each end of the
mandrel and mandrel shaft will run off the motor with a pulley. One adaptor
came with the system(right hand thread)but nothing for the left side with
left hand thread. The adaptor reduces the 5/8 shaft to 1/2 inc shaft so the
buffers can be attached. Anyone know what I can do about the left side of
the double end mandrel

I have 4 long shaft motors that I converted to dedicated buffers. They run about 1600RPM. I simply used loctite to secure the
threads and have had no trouble with unwinding on the left side.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Richard L.

You can go to a motor supple house or a good hardware store and get shaft
adapters for either side of the motor. One right and one left, these attach
to the shafts with set screws. The outer end is threaded to mount polling
buffs.
--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
"harryc" wrote in message
I want to use a double end mandrel so I can put a buffer on each end of

the
mandrel and mandrel shaft will run off the motor with a pulley. One

adaptor
came with the system(right hand thread)but nothing for the left side with
left hand thread. The adaptor reduces the 5/8 shaft to 1/2 inc shaft so

the
buffers can be attached. Anyone know what I can do about the left side of
the double end mandrel

--
Harry

George

However, if you get a mandrel and appropriate pulley configuration or
variable motor, you can buff at your speed and 1/2HP without fiddling with
the lathe.

Or - realizing that it's radial speed that counts, you can use smaller
buffing wheels. My 1725 with 4" buffs is slower than your 1200 x 8" setup.

Oh yes, some washing machine motors will do 1050. Gotta put them under
cover, or they plug up with fuzz and wax, though.

"Jim Gott" wrote in message

[...]

Owen Lowe

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

Oh yes, some washing machine motors will do 1050. Gotta put them under
cover, or they plug up with fuzz and wax, though.

One needs to check their innards for the errant sock too.
Tom Storey

Does that spam warning thing really work Bruce?

Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
"harryc" writes:

I want to use a double end mandrel so I can put a buffer on each end of

the
mandrel and mandrel shaft will run off the motor with a pulley. One

adaptor
came with the system(right hand thread)but nothing for the left side

with
left hand thread. The adaptor reduces the 5/8 shaft to 1/2 inc shaft so

the
buffers can be attached. Anyone know what I can do about the left side

of
the double end mandrel

If you use the other side, you will end up unwinding the buffing wheels.
Beal has a system that allows you to use three wheels at once on your

lathe.
But check the requirements before you buy the wheels. I think there are
different sets, and not all can be adapted to use the 3-way system.